Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Popping sensation in fibular head region when extending from flexed position  (Read 15442 times)

Offline Shiloticus

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hello! My name is Shiloh, and I'm 20 years old.

I am a martial artist, and as such have a fairly constant need for my knees.  About 3 years ago, I was rolling over my shoulder and stood up quickly from a crouched position and I heard a *pop* sound from my right knee, accompanied by a sensation of something "popping out" of place.  (as far as I can gather, it seems to be close to or at the place where the fibia connects to the knee... in the back of the knee towards the outside of my knee)  It was a little sore after that, so I went to the chiropractor and he said something about some kind of subluxation, and recommended continued treatment, but he was somewhat expensive and the soreness went away after a few days.  Since then the same thing has happened to me about 10 to 15 times, where the knee feels like it's popping out of place when I flex my leg, and if I straighten it (which I can do, but with difficulty) something noticeably "pops" back into place.  Or, to avoid the popping, I can maneuver it in some way and I'm able to straighten it without the popping.  A month ago, I went to the orthopaedic after it happened again, leaving my knee particularly sore, and she said it was probably a torn minuscus, which flips out of place at a certain angle and goes back into place when I straighten it, explaining the popping and sensation.  They ran an MRI and found no tissue damage, so they recommended physical therapy, which I am starting in a couple of weeks.  in the mean time, I have been stretching my knee often, and icing and heating it.  Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?  I've been trying to figure out what's going on for a while now, and it would be nice to have something to tell the therapist

Thank you so much! =)

Offline Shiloticus

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
OH, also, when I was 13 and 14 I had Osgood Schlotter's syndrome in that knee.  I don't know if that would aid in any diagnosing, but I thought I'd throw that out there, just in case! =)

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
If the pain is truly near the fibula head and not the lateral joint line it may have been the fibula that subluxed.  I did this moving a chair, there are symptoms similar to meniscus injuries.  This area bothers me off and on now and sometimes I can feel it "out" a bit.  It usually goes back to normal on it's own.  You may want to ask about that.  I could be wrong and it could be meniscus.  I just know you can dislocate your fibula.

'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline Shiloticus

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Would that have shown up on the MRI in any way? They said the MRI was normal.
Thanks!

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
Not necessarily.  I had an MRI report stating I had a meniscus tear, but once the doc scoped the knee, nothing was wrong with the meniscus.  A combination of X-Rays, CT scans, and MRI may be needed to find the problem.  How is the PT going? Helping at all?
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline Shiloticus

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Well, I'm starting tomorrow! So... so far it hasn't helped much.  ;)

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
Good luck with the PT.  Here's to hoping it helps.  Give it a good try at least. 
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

support