Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Loose body in knee?  (Read 10849 times)

Offline Jens GT

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Loose body in knee?
« on: March 28, 2011, 05:14:38 AM »
Hi all, I am new...I registered a while ago..2006 I think and posted a few times but havnt been back until now.

So my history is that I am 31 now...have been having knee issues since I was around 18 due to my hips being turned slightly in the wrong direction which has me knock kneed and due to being that way my whole life I have some issues...most prominently tight achilles tendons...my calf muscles are monstrous...bigger than a lot of guys!  My quads are super weak...inner thighs super strong outer thighs weak like crazy...so I have poor tracking and chrondomalasia.  Back in 2006-2007 I was diagnosed with having some arthritis. 

I did PT and while it got rid of some patellar tendinitis I had going on from trying to run on a treadmill...it did nothing for my knees except cause more pain.  The taping, the electro shock thingies...and different therapists telling me different thing...I eventually gave it up.  I learned a lot about my condition and I know never to exercise my calfs anymore but otherwise it did not help.  I know there are things I can do to strength
 My quads and I am currently working out 3 times a week doing weight training and cardio.

One issue i have is that I am overweight.  Have been since puberty...i just lost 16 pounds to get below 300 pounds and that is good...I'm eating good and all that i have a terrible metabolism so I started hitting heavy weights to build muscle and help that metabolism out.  I am currently bench pressing 135...not bad for a girl I'm told.  But one thing I have always felt was that my weight has caused discrimination from doctors.  It's like they see me and tell me to lose weight and they send me away.  I agree I need to lose it and I am...but It doesn't change the fact that I have a degenerative problem in my knees...and I need help I feel like I'm not getting it.

Here is my current problem and I would like some
Input on what you all think could  be the problem and what I should expect from the dr
If I go.  My husband wants me to go and I feel it's pointless....so I've had this in the past occasionally but it's getting me bad the last few day...I'll be walking and all of a sudden I take a step and it's like a stabbing sharp pain at the back of my knee that hurts so bad it's like I may fall down from
The pain.  It's quick but wow...sharp!  In an hour period of walking it may have happened 10-15 times.  Then the next day fine..we were in Williamsburg va and spent the day walking around...ok...sore but no sharp pains.  The next day and today...back to pain and intermittent sharp pain attacks.  Not as often but still.  Just an hour ago I had one but it was different...sharp pain towards the left side
Of the knee...tried to step again felt locked.  Then fine...icing it now.

I thought it's maybe a loose piece of cartilage...online i read "if you suspect you have a loose body
In your knee seek medical attention immediately.". I just laughed to myself...I can garuntee they'd tell me rice and lose weight.  Am I just expecting too much?  I'm
Doing my part here but how can I exercise if this continues?

Help.  Thanks!  Golf season coming up I need to be able to walk!!!!

Offline Jens GT

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Loose body in knee?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 06:53:09 PM »
Is there anything I can do to get a better response?  Is this in the wrong place?

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 10:34:29 PM »
Jens sorry I dont have any advice about your condition but just wanted to say that if your doctor wont help you and look into what is going on with your knee because of your weight then maybe its time to find another doctor, from what you have posted you have a lot of different problems that need to be investigated, I'm sure there have been a few folk that have posted here that have also had a weight problem and have found a doctor who sees past that and has gone on to help them.
I'm sure more people will chime in who have more info about the things going on with your knee I am not well versed in knee problems but just wanted to let you know that your not on your own in this.
Good luck with finding a sympathetic doctor   
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 10:48:19 PM »
Hi Jens

I think the problem is that we can't really diagnose over the internet. The symptoms you describe could be anything such as a meniscal tear that can cause the locking sensation, a Bakers cyst that causes pain in the back of the knee, cartilage wear and tear, ligament damage or strain......unless a doctor examines you and does some standard tests then it is imposible to say. You might need a scan or some X-rays. If you'be been diagnosed with some arthritis then it could be a loose body. I would agree with tez though - regardless of whether you're a bit overweight if you have continuing pain and changing symptoms you need to be checked out. You're clearly trying to get fitter and healthy, so don't let a doctor's judgement on your weight mean you lose out on getting the treatment you deserve. I have giant calves too - slightly knock kneed and wonky hips and years of ice skating and my calves went into overdrive to keep my knees contained I think! I train all my other muscles but never my calves - I'd scare children if I did!

Take care and get yourself checked out.

Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Jens GT

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 01:22:50 AM »
Thanks guys...yeah I have been diagnosed with arthritis and that is why I am thinking loose body.  Nothing traumatic has happened lately so I don;t think I seriously injured anything.  I have been dealing with ITBS issues but it seems to be almost cleared up besides when I lay in bed it hurts a tad to straighten my leg.  I just find it ridiculous that with the issue I have...which are many...I have not been able to get an MRI done since 1999.  LOL. 

Yes my calves are so crazy...even down close to my ankles the muscles are so big...I used to think...oh they are strong so I should work out and I could do like 200 pound calf lifts easy the only thing stopping me from more was the pad hurt my shoulders.  lol.  I dont do any calf exercises any more never will again!  LOL. 

Went to the gym today but only did weights...can't walk good at all today. :(

Offline Jens GT

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 11:24:11 PM »
Gotta get an MRI now...doc thinks meniscus tear.  How did I do that??  There is pain when the inside part of my knee is pressed on...all the times I have had that knee exam done, the twisting turning bending etc....never had much pain associated with that...today...omg...I could not walk after he did that...I had to go down to the end of the hall for x rays....and I almost cried from the pain!!!!

Offline swifts87

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 01:22:40 AM »
Hey Jens,

Meniscal tears can be degenerative and are pretty common with OA. From what you've written, it sounds very much like a loose body and if it is, you should get it taken out because it floating around can cause some damage to other structures. I don't think that weight would really be an issue with this but if it is a loose body and they do try to fob you off, let them know that you are not prepared to live with your knee the way it is now and you want them to do something. Like tez, I think it is important you find a doctor you like. I had a friend of a friend who was carrying a lot of extra weight, had a very bad knee and wanted a knee replacement. She was told 'no' by heaps of doctors until she found one who said he would do it and now she is much, much better.

Also, congratulations with your weight loss to date. I know from experience weight is a lot easier to put on then get off so good on you and keep at it!

Good luck. I hope it goes well for you :)

http://www.orthop.washington.edu/PatientCare/OurServices/Sports/Articles/TornMeniscustornkneecartilagenotlimitedto.aspx

Offline Jens GT

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 02:44:38 AM »
Thanks.  It seems like I found a doctor that will do what needs to be done so that is good news.  I told him that I had been losing weight and that this issue had put a halt to that.

Wouldnt he have seen the loose body in the x ray?  I think my symptoms could definitely be a meniscus tear, especially with the tenderness on the inside part of my knee.  I never really assumed it could be that before today so I was stuck on the loose body thing...which it still could be?  I can't wait to get the MRI and figure it out.

Offline swifts87

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 04:10:42 AM »
You would only see it in an x ray if it was bony - a loose body may also be a flap of meniscus or something that has broken off... It's good you've found someone to deal with it and hopefully the MRI will detail exactly what's going on.

http://www.mdguidelines.com/loose-bodies-knee

Offline mamalama

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 06:59:46 PM »
hello, just wanted to let you know, i too had loose bodies in the knee.  the docs said they wouldn't see it on xray  but guess what they did and i multiple ones in there.  ask for an mri which shows a whole lot more then u at least know what your dealing with. 

good luck..... :)

support