Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Longtime without a kneecap  (Read 9920 times)

Offline Dragoon

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Longtime without a kneecap
« on: September 11, 2007, 12:54:08 AM »
I'm 53 with no right kneecap since I was 27.  ...   motorcycle :-[ :-[       In the last 26 years I have:     3 black belts in 3 different arts,  closet of tennis trophies,  played baseball,  swam 3 miles a week for a long time.   You young folks hang in there.     If I have any advice on recovery immediately after surgery it would be ...  STAY AWAY FROM THOSE PILLS!  A wet cloth to bite on helps a lot.  I can put my heel on my butt.   Further I try to do just that everyday.
sailing   say -  ling    a way to spend  lots of money and go very slow

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: Longtime without a kneecap
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 12:57:22 AM »
     .... If I have any advice on recovery immediately after surgery it would be ...  STAY AWAY FROM THOSE PILLS!  A wet cloth to bite on helps a lot.....

Screw that, no way I'm biting on a wet cloth. I'm taking the pills after surgery. Pain relief is necessary to help healing.

bean11

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 01:01:40 AM »
G'day mate im interested in your story as i have thought about the pros/cons of having my right knee cap removed ! to fill you in on 14 june 2010 I hit the  left hand corner of a tray top ute.( motorbike) the damage was 20 x fracture to femur + shattered patella + femur coming out my leg 2" above my knee cap, on the 22/december the results of the CT scan reveal (first CT) there was no bonebridge linkup at all internally due to the large gap between the remaining bits of bone! now I have to have  a Bonegraft surgery some time when they can fit me in, my question to you seen as youve bin there done that, should I ask for the patella to be removed, if you still keep in touch with knee geeks I would really appreciate youre wisdom ! Im a 48 year old Boilermaker/welder and yes its the right leg.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 01:56:17 AM by bean11 »

Offline SANTEESLIM

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Retired PGA Golf Professional/Instructor
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 08:03:34 AM »
bean11,

I had my right patella removed back in 1979, total arthritic disentegration.  I had two of the best orthopedic surgeons in the country , Dr. Hobbs and San Diego Chargers team orthopedic, Dr. Woodward, perform their magic on me.  I was the 8th person in the U.S. NOT to have heavy bandaging/brace after surgery and was not permitted to use any form of cane/crutch or walker.  A simple gauze pad over the 100 odd stitches and a ace wrap  was it.  Started physical therapy 4 days after, 4 times a week/2hrs per.  In 7 months I could squat down like a catcher in baseball and rise, which surprised both DRs.  THE ONLY WAY IT WAS POSSIBLE WAS INTENSE PHYSICAL THERAPY.

Looking at your x-ray, and I'm no doctor, I would suggest looking into full knee replacement surgery.  Removing just the patella is the most serious surgery to recover from, wheras replacement surgery has become less intrusive and although physical therapy is a must, the muscles aren't cut and re-attached making the therapy less painful, and shorter. 

I'm now 59, still play golf 3 times a week, ride the bicycle, and if a few beers have been consumed, water skiid(not up for long, but sking)

Good Luck with you knee,

SANTEESLIM