Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fall After Microfracture  (Read 1113 times)

Offline kjc7791

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Fall After Microfracture
« on: March 21, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
Background:  I just fell going down a flight of stairs and had to put my right leg down to absorb the impact, which was pretty significant.  I had a microfracture on the right leg 7 weeks ago and have only been at 20% weightbering for 1 week. 

Questions:  Did I just ruin the surgery and negate the last 7 weeks I have been on crutches?  Should I go back to non-weightbearing until I can talk to my PT or doctor?  The initial shock was painful, but I don't seem to be in any pain now.  I took some Aleve and have had ice on my knee as a precaution.  Anything else I can do?  This was after I had done my morning PT exercises, so I have not tried those yet and don't know if they will cause any pain.

Thanks for any advice! 

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Fall After Microfracture
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 08:14:27 AM »
Pain and swelling should indicate if you have ruined the surgery or not. Take it easy and let the feeling in your leg decide whatever you should do.
When do you see your PT/OS next time ??
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline kjc7791

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 04:50:43 PM »
Thanks for the response.  Yes, I have been icing and taking Aleve to prevent any swelling, which seems to have worked.  Unfortunately, I think I pulled something on the outside of my leg due to the awkwardness of the fall, but the microfracture was on the medial femoral chondyle and that area doesn't seem to feel bad.  I will talk to my PT today and see what he thinks.  I think the other injury to the leg is going to prevent further work on my range of motion at the moment though.  I have about had it with crutches, they have not been making my life any easier!  I guess I should be thankfull I still have my teeth after such a dangerous fall on concrete steps. :)

Offline jt801

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 07:34:37 PM »
I think that at the 7 week post-op mark you should probably be ok. It would probably take repeated impacts to damage your mfx site at this point if everything has healed properly. What you experienced seems to happen pretty regularly to people on crutches-it seems like an isolated incident doesn't cause enough damage to ruin the surgery, but let your pain level be your guide as you move forward. From my own experience you should be about ready to ditch the crutches- for sure by the start of week 8 i think. Good luck!
12/99 left knee lateral release and plica removal
1/09 right knee chondroplasty and microfracture LFC