Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Loose implant?  (Read 6828 times)

Offline webbiecindy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Loose implant?
« on: March 20, 2011, 08:35:14 PM »
On April 17th it'll be five years since I had a right knee (medial) unicompartmental replacement. Everything went well and I did the PT and until a few months ago I was doing well. I started having pain after I had an accident and slammed my knee into the bathtub. After having it checked out by the physicians assistant at my Orthopaedist's office and having an xray(no injury showed), I was sent home with a brace to keep my knee stable. A month later I was sent for a bone scan, then had to wait a couple of weeks for the results. I went to see the Orthopaedic surgeon this time and he explained the results of the scan and said I have a badly bruised bone and also a loose implant. He prescribed Voltaren gel which I can use four times a day. My knee hurts and feels different than it did before it loosened. I'm wondering if anyone else here has had this happen to them whether it loosened on it's own or due to an injury. I'm concerned that it's just going to get worse and then I won't be able to walk on it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!~
Cindy ;)

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
Re: Loose implant?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 10:17:20 PM »
Hello webbiecindy,

At work, a couple of weeks ago, I did something to my right knee (I had bilateral PFR about 5 and a haif years ago).  I am experiencing pain in the knee.  Some of it reminds me of the pain I had prior to my operations.  There is other new pain and noises (cracking and popping).  I am having problems and walking, standing, sitting, etc.  I have an appointment with a new OS on Thursday.  Please tell me what your pain is (to compare to mine). 

Thank you,
Mr.F
 :)

Offline webbiecindy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 03:35:00 AM »
Hello Mr.F, I hope that I can explain my pain that you'll understand what I mean. I'm getting pressure and pain on the exact same side that the implant is on. It almost feels as if it's pushing into the tissue and bone on the inside. I have movement with it too. What I mean is that i can tell that it's shifting around inside my knee. I can feel the jiggle of the inplant. If I walk very much I can have more pain and it feels as if I'm walking bone on bone. It just doesn't feel like it did after i had my surgery and was healed. I really wish I had another option besides a total knee replacement. ::) I didn't have trouble with the PT or even with the pain afterwards, I do remember being uncomfortable trying to find a good position to sleep in. It was a little rough, but all in all I was satisfied with the outcome of my PKR.

I hope that you get some good news when you see the new doctor. Please keep us updated and let us know how you make out. ;)

Offline lgrove

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 11:55:03 PM »
Hi,
I had a full TKR 6 years ago, and the same feelings and problems come from mine too! I've always felt there was something moving around in there. I had pain post op. OS put me in a full leg cast, "To let my knee rest." I just lost ROM with that stunt. I stood up a couple years ago and felt the top of my leg slip in the opposite direction of the bottom of my leg. Big increase in pain, saw OS, nothing was showing up on any scans, I refused a revision at that point. Now the pain is so bad it's driving me insane, so back to OS. Bone scan is Friday, but I'm at my wits end with the pain, it has to be fixed. I've been putting up with this knee just getting worse over the years. I'm all for avoiding any intervention until you're to the point of no options left. I really can't say what the pain scale was before I had my knee replaced, but I know I felt I did the right thing at the time. With time and perspective behind me. I do know I'm am way more against surgery than I was before! I think you just have to believe that you know what you are feeling and do what you think is the right thing at the time. My left knee is going, but I'll have to be crawling into that doctors office before I have another replacement, I just don't think it's an answer to pain, but a last resort for sure.
Good luck!

Offline MyKnee2010

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 07:10:54 PM »
Hi lgrove,

I had TKA both knees (left - 2 1/2 yrs ago, right - 2 yrs ago). The right knee keeps hurting worse & worse. It feels like the bones/implants are rubbing together when I walk. Do you have that kind of pain with your loosened knee?

Thanks!

Offline captainruss

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
Webbie, lgrove, and Myknee"

Webbie:  After what you tell me I would not go back to that OS (knowing what I know) for any reason.  You can get multiple opinions and possibly make a better decision.  Pain is a telegram from your knee saying there is trouble in paradise and you should do something soon.

lgrove....I would also suggest you get a new OS...a full leg cast had to have been horrible.  I have had 8 and I was on a CPM (continuous passive motion) device 2 hours after getting to my room.  I left the hospital on Saturday and was doing aggressive PT (2 hours a day) starting Monday every day of the week for six weeks.  I was full weight bearing the morning after surgery and the only thing that has kept my leg from totally giving out is I refuse to use a wheel chair.  I took the kids to Universal Studios yesterday using my walker....I could only make it inside the gate and back to the car (8 hours later) but I refuse to stop weight bearing.

Myknee....again...the pain especially if it is new or different is a cry for help from your knee.  All three of you sound like you are using one of my former OS's???  Seriously....I had three OS and three infectious disease doctors who gave me the same diagnosis over 2 1/2 years and 8 TKR's and all 6 were wrong.  You cannot get enough opinions and if you think anything is incorrect, RUN.  I felt like all three at some point were doing needless surgery and just prior to TKR #7 I almost walked out....should have done it.

Russ
80 Shattered patella 5 surg
09  TKR 
09  MUA
09  MUA
09  Knee infected??
10  TKR  Scar Tissue
10  2nd OS  Diagnosis Infection
10  TKR with antibiotic spacer, no joint
4/11  TKR
11  TKR PT
11  TKR
11  TKR  AF diagosis
12/11  HO diagnosed
2012  Intractable Pain
2012  OS split
amputation possible?

Offline MyKnee2010

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 08:58:43 PM »
Hi Captain Russ,

I have an appointment in mid-July to see my OS again hopefuly, I'll get more answers then.

I've read some of your posts about your multiple TKRs. I was just wondering if the OSs ever thought that your knee could have been swollen because your body was reacting to the metal instead of because of some kind of infection? Just curious!

Take care!