Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: "Minor" MCL Sprain, 7 weeks out with a lot of pain  (Read 5187 times)

Offline BrigRuns

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
"Minor" MCL Sprain, 7 weeks out with a lot of pain
« on: March 19, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
I just found these boards and they have been so helpful, reading through the posts! What a great community.
I injured my MCL sledding 7 weeks ago. There was considerable pain and I was limping. I applied ice, and stayed off my feet until my appointment the next day with an orthopedist. He diagnosed me with a minor MCL sprain, said nothing about grade, but made it sound like it wasn't a big deal and would heal on it's own. He did send me for an x-ray and that came out clean. He gave me a DonJoy brace and crutches and told me to bear weight as tolerated.
About a week later, it was still hurting considerably, so I insisted on an MRI, which also showed there was no other damage, just a small sprain. I also showed the x-ray to my neighbor, who is also an orthopedist, and he said the same thing.
The problem is, it still really hurts a lot when doing certain things. I have regained my ROM, and can bend the knee. I can exercise, and do things activities that have no impact, but I am a runner, and I want to get back into the game. A minor sprain should not take this long to heal, should it?
Out of frustration, I started going to a physical therapist. I have gone twice and he thinks I should be back to normal in time for my races in May, but I did a walk/run interval under his guidance on the treadmill, alternating for 8 minutes and it was very hard to do. I took a bike ride yesterday and it was hard to pedal through the resistance. I am pretty much back to having a normal gait, though it hurts to squat, and I certainly can't kneel down.
I really want to have an idea of how long I am going to have this pain for. The one race I have coming up is in June, and it's a 6 mile mud run, with obstacles,  so I will really need a full range of motion, and it doesn't look good. I'm feeling very frustrated. Does anyone have any experience with a minor MCL sprain that doesn't involve any other injury? Should I continue to work through the pain, or mmight I reinjure the ligament?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 03:43:34 PM by BrigRuns »

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: "Minor" MCL Sprain, 7 weeks out with a lot of pain
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 04:38:09 PM »
7 weeks after a CML sprain I think you are doing fairly well. Don't push through pain. Pain says you to slow down.
It takes a time to build up your muscles again. If you overdo you will only get more setbacks and the rehab will even take longer time.
Listen to your body and give yourself time and I'm sure you will be back when you need to.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

support