Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Unknown problems..  (Read 838 times)

Offline pattimelt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Unknown problems..
« on: March 19, 2011, 04:41:49 AM »
Let's give a basic breakdown first.  47 years old female.  Right knee surgery x4 and waiting for doc to give me the ok for TKR, but he wants to wait until I'm 50.  1st surgery parrot beak tear of the lateral meniscus in 1977.  3 more surgeries since 1991.  They will NOT go back in and clean me out again.  Osteoarthritis Stage 4 in this knee, along with crepitus, and some other stuff I can't remember.  It locks, it clicks, I can't do stairs-either up or down, and I'm sick of falling down when my knee locks, but I live with it.

So here's my current problem:
I think that somehow SOMETHING got 'caught' between the bones in my knee that doesn't belong there.  It's not loose cartilege, although I have that, too. How do I know this?? Because from my knee down to the top of my foot midway to my toes, and from my shinbone around the back side of my calf, my muscles feel like a stretched rubber band that's at it's limit.  It's like the outside half of my calf is just constantly pulling.  It's painful, and sometimes agonizing, and very difficult to deal with.  There is some loss of feeling on the outside skin--like pins and needles, if it's touched--but no real "feeling" and although I get the pressure of touch, I can't tell what is touching me- it could be a finger or it could be a knife- no clue if I'm not looking.

Does anyone here possibly have any clue before I go nuts?? I have an appt to see my primary care doc next week, but even then, it will be at least 4 weeks till I get to see Orthopedic doc..

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: Unknown problems..
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 04:34:31 PM »
Does it feel nerve-related? The sensation you are describing with touch makes it sound like that. Can you not get seen sooner? I don't think you mess around with nerve issues. Is it possible to call your OS and describe it to see if you should be seen sooner?
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline pattimelt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 05:19:04 PM »
Does it feel nerve-related? The sensation you are describing with touch makes it sound like that. Can you not get seen sooner? I don't think you mess around with nerve issues. Is it possible to call your OS and describe it to see if you should be seen sooner?

I thought it might be nerve related, but honestly, can deal with the pins and needles stuff if I can stop the rest of it.  I don't know if the actual calf problem is nerves, either, since it feels like a fully stretched rubber band.  And no, I can't get seen sooner unless my reg doc says it's an emergency, as I am dealing with the VA (Veterans' Administration), since this is part of my service connection. 

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 10:45:45 PM »
I am not a medic but it sounds a bit like peroneal nerve involvement and peroneal muscles....the anterior tibialis muscle runs from the big toe up around the area you describe and inserts into the lateral tibia area if i remember correctly. I sometimes get hideous pulling sensations down there - I am not sure if its direct involvement because of the OA or if it is because the muscles don't get chance to work properly because we compensate for knee pain in our gait. Peroneal nerve involvement is also common if that muscle is tight as it runs underneath it. You could try stretching out the anterior tibialis (google anterior tibialis stretches) and see if it helps, but don't do it if you think it will hurt your knee. I also find that a proper hamstring stretch, with my ankle and foot being flexed and rotated can loosen off the tight outside calf. I can simulate pins and needles whilst doing this, so I know the nerve gets pinched somehow. I do also have arthritis in my big toe, which doesn't help as the nerve ends there. If you can cope with massage down the calf, and at the top of the tibia where the muscles insert this can also loosen things of, my PT used to do it for me and over recent months the sensation has reduced to almost nothing.

As I say, I'm no expert but just hazarding a guess. Hope you get some relief soon

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline pattimelt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 10:56:39 PM »
I am not a medic but it sounds a bit like peroneal nerve involvement and peroneal muscles....the anterior tibialis muscle runs from the big toe up around the area you describe and inserts into the lateral tibia area if i remember correctly. I sometimes get hideous pulling sensations down there - I am not sure if its direct involvement because of the OA or if it is because the muscles don't get chance to work properly because we compensate for knee pain in our gait. Peroneal nerve involvement is also common if that muscle is tight as it runs underneath it. You could try stretching out the anterior tibialis (google anterior tibialis stretches) and see if it helps, but don't do it if you think it will hurt your knee. I also find that a proper hamstring stretch, with my ankle and foot being flexed and rotated can loosen off the tight outside calf. I can simulate pins and needles whilst doing this, so I know the nerve gets pinched somehow. I do also have arthritis in my big toe, which doesn't help as the nerve ends there. If you can cope with massage down the calf, and at the top of the tibia where the muscles insert this can also loosen things of, my PT used to do it for me and over recent months the sensation has reduced to almost nothing.

As I say, I'm no expert but just hazarding a guess. Hope you get some relief soon

Lottie

Any ideas now are good ideas.. I will try and see if it helps.  Hubby massaging my leg helps, but of course, it never lasts long enough.  LOL  Maybe I'll just pay and go have a massage--I can just see the therapist saying "you want me to massage your CALF for 30 minutes?? That's IT?"  Before laughing their head off..   :)

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 11:41:47 PM »
That's when you say, "Yes I do. Now take my money and get to work!"  ;D
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR