Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: why does my knee feel cold inside?  (Read 44077 times)

Offline Luckyme

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
why does my knee feel cold inside?
« on: March 18, 2011, 07:39:25 PM »
Ever since my knee injury (skiing).....I've had several different issues.  The one that is tripping me out right now is the cold feeling inside my knee.  I feel like someone spilled cold water on my knee.  It started on the outside of my knee and now it is from the outside of my knee down my shin.....that is where I feel it, however it is inside of my leg.
Any ideas what on earh this might mean?
Thanks.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: why does my knee feel cold inside?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 07:42:51 PM »
Sounds like some nervefibers is involved. Can occurr after injuries but also after surgery.
What kind of enjury did you endure ?
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 07:29:05 PM »
This does sound like referral pain from a damaged nerve. I had a very similar sensation at one point after my ACL surgery - a peripheral nerve actually gets cut as part of that surgery, and causes all kinds of weird sensations (heat, cold, prickling) as it regenerates.

How long ago was your injury? If the sensations don't resolve or improve, it would be a good idea to get it checked out by a doctor.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Luckyme

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 11:05:44 PM »
I fell while skiing 8 days ago.  I rented ski's and the way I fell, I'm sorry but my boot should have popped out of the bindings, however it didn't and my knee took the brunt of the fall.  Later that night I could barely walk.
I was almost thinking it might be a result of a nerve issue.  My knee is completely confusing me.  I can walk on that leg now.  It seems the pain issue keeps getting better and better.  Some times it aches,  sometimes I get a sharp pain on the side and sometimes I feel the cold water sensation.  But at this point most of the time it is pretty decent.  It comes and go.  So now what?  From reading up on knees it seems that knees are more complex than you would think and not having it checked out could back fire.  I see people saying, "don't blow it off like I did".  Does it sound like I should even be worried if my pain seems to be getting better?  It still feels like something is off but I wonder if that just means its something minor that's healing and I should just move on.
My Chiropractor says he thinks I tore my meniscus.  Does pain come and go with that?

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 02:09:31 AM »
Definitely get it checked out - I can't emphasize that enough. If you have done something to one of the structures in the knee (and the most likely victims in a skiing accident like the one you describe are ligaments and/or the meniscii) it's critical to find out as early as possible. If you were lucky and nothing suffered any permanent damage, that's awesome - but given the irreversible degenerative changes that can happen over time if a torn ligament or meniscus is left unattended, it's just not worth taking a chance on.

It's a good sign that your pain is improving, but the fact that you couldn't walk properly after it happened is a bit of a red flag - that indicates that you gave something a pretty good tweak, and may have done so damage. So much depends on what you hurt; the collateral ligaments are painful but can heal by themselves, but the cruciate ligaments and the meniscii have no blood supply and won't heal once they're damaged. The main sign of ligament damage is instability so it's very encouraging that you haven't reported that among your symptoms, but a meniscus tear is completely plausible.

Do go and see your doctor. There are tests they can do for both ligament and meniscus damage, and it really is so much better to know for certain one way or the other. Knees have parts that are very hard to replace once they're damaged, so it's much better to play it safe.

Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 07:04:51 AM »
I agree with Snowy. Get that knee checked ASAP ! It can be just meniscus but also more stuff going on. To have a healthy knee longterm you need to take care of injuries. Wish you the best.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

support