Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Revision Surgery  (Read 783 times)

Offline crazycamper

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Revision Surgery
« on: March 18, 2011, 12:08:08 PM »
Anyone have any input on Revision surgery?  I am now scheduled for April 1.  Redoing Left Knee, which was done May 2010.
Thanks

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: Revision Surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 02:00:35 PM »
You will get more input if you say what particular surgery you are having revised.  :)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 07:30:46 PM »
Looking at this member's previous post, it sounds like it's a TKR.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 08:07:18 PM »
This poster might have more success posting this in the TKR section, then, and adding a lot more detail.

Good luck!
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline mountainknees

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 11:03:37 PM »
Yes, Yes, Yes, I have not only been there but am there now. To give you an idea of my history look up my posts as mountainknees.
I have had ELEVEN knee surgeries, sic befor a total knee replacement in 2001, and five since then.  I have had major infrctions, instability and chronic.  Have been on pain management over 300mg morphine a day foir a year and a half.  After seeing the top orthopedic surgeons at John Hopkins, Univ of Pittsubrg, N.I.H. etc, I have finall set on one and will be going in for a ligament reconstruction of REVISION of my right knee on April 19.
What I have found by a year of seeking many top doctors opinions and reading as much as possible, especially the University published orthoipedic journals is that First, Revision is a far more complex procedure than a standard first time replacement and should not be done by a surgeon unless he/she has had many such cases, at leat 100 before you.
Second, statistically, the outcome is not as good in Revision T.K.A. as primary, and many more patients than doctors will admit suffer ongoing pain.
Three, REVISION should never been donbe unless the doctor knows exactly what is causing the problem, infection, aseptic loosening etc.  It should NEVER be done just for undiagnosed pain.
There are literally hundreds of articles on knee revision surgery.  Simply go to Google, and type in outcones, knee revision surgery, or reasons for knee revision surgery, you will find a fantastic source of information.  In my case I have no choice.  I am living in a wheelchair with an ustable knee that needs ligament reconstruction and revision.  I am using more than 300 mg. morphine a day and still have pain so very bad I can no longer drive or really leave the house.  The only option I have is do nothing, which is not an option of find the best doctor I could, one who I trust totally and I have done that, and really just roll the dice.  The only other way oput is through an athrodesis where I would have the entire knee removed and the leg fused so I could never bendit, or elective above the kn ee amputation.  Frankly I have explored both options and decided after speaking with physical therapists and custom prosthetic makers that I will geiv it one last tey and if surgery 12 does not give me a  decent outcome, I would opt for elective amputation and rehab with the best prosthetic leg I could find made for me.  It may seem like a radical option but when your life is totally consumed by pain and if there is no other choice, elective amputation becomes a very realistic outcome.  However it shgould not even be considered unless all other options are tried, at lest once.  So do not believe what the doctor tells you, any doctor, there is enough literature on the internet from excellent, (not pop culture sites) than can totally inform you on all aspects of revision knee surgery.
If you wish you can leave me a message directly through this site and I will happily guide you to many articles.
Good luck