Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: knee swells for no reason  (Read 612 times)

Offline swollen45

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
knee swells for no reason
« on: March 17, 2011, 12:15:43 PM »
hi new here,i have a question ,my doctor says i have imflammatory arthritis,affects my back knees and risk,,one doctor even said i had anklylosing spondilitis,butmy question is about my knees,both my knees are weak and sore ,but the right knee swells up for no reason ,aound the knee cap gets very tight and painful,i am on celebrex and methrotrexate,also am trying a joint supplement called genecol,swelling can go away for few days then come back i have very hard time walkin like this my mobility is shot,when i bend down for anythin i am scare i cant get back up,my doctor now has givin me a shot of cortisone in knee,it worked for 2 weeks then swollen came back worse,knee swells up ,big like a small melom at times,am i in the right place for help,i am afraid if this keeps up i will have to stop workin, i am only 45 yrs old,arthritis for 20 yrs ,knee problems for 5 yrs

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: knee swells for no reason
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 01:12:06 PM »
Have you been checked for rheumatoid arthritis?  Are you seeing a GP or an orthopeadic doc? 
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 01:48:30 PM »
You say you have had arthritis for 20 years, is that just the knees or more spread ?
Have you had any treatment during this time except for meds and cortizone shot ?
What kind of docs have you seen ?
There is always something more that can be done. Just need to go down more to the roots of it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 01:52:35 PM by Nettan »
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 02:08:56 PM »
I would suggest seeing a rheumatoidologist, if you aren't  already. Have you been diagnosed with rheumatoid or are they just telling you it is inflamatory and not treating the issue. Inflamatory arthritis is different from osteoarthritis, it is caused by a inflamatory response in the body. If you treat the inflamation you can help the arthritis, a rheumatoidologist is the most qualified to be able to do this for you. There could be surgical options too depending on what the RA has damaged in your knee. More info about what kind of doctors you are seeing and the treatments they have tried would help.
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12