Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: HELP ME!! 14 weeks post op 90 degrees only flexion  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Kate7

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
HELP ME!! 14 weeks post op 90 degrees only flexion
« on: March 17, 2011, 08:40:59 AM »
Please help me i have just come back from my Ortho 14 wk visit and my stupid knee is only 90 degrees still!! My extension is nearly there with only 5 to go.  My knee feels like cement is in there and it just wont budge.  Still doing physio + i am a fitness instructor so i am really working hard on it, but i am just getting nowhere.  I have been 90 degrees since wk 9 :-[  Has anyone been this slow like me??? I Just want to play soccer again or even just go running  :)

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: HELP ME!! 14 weeks post op 90 degrees only flexion
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 08:44:40 AM »
What did you have done? Were you immobilised for any period of time after the surgery (eg in a cast or straight leg brace)? What does your Ortho say about it? Is this the first surgery on the knee?

Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Stasha83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 10:06:20 AM »
I know the cement feeling! I was stuck at 80 degrees flexion and 10 degree extension lag for 8 months so I know how frustrating it is  :(

Like Lottie said we could do with a few more details, but did your OS mention scar tissue?
June 2010 - R knee TPF & Hoffa removal
Dec 2010 - R knee- Arthrofibrosis
Dec 2010 - L knee Myxoid degeneration of meniscus
Jan 2011 - R Knee 11 steroid injections & Synvisc1
Feb 11 - MUA & LOA
June 11- Steroid inj, EMG & nerve tests
Aug 11 - MUA & LOA
Feb 12 - R Knee denervation

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 02:35:19 PM »
I'm 9 weeks out form my 2nd scope. At the 5 month mark after my first scope I was only at 92 and my extension was only -25 so pretty bad. I had another scope in Jan. and am at 95 by myself and with force from therapist I was 102 yesterday, my extention was -12. So yeah I know the fustration, I feel like I am starting to get there but taking lots of time and work. How often are you in PT? I go 4 days a week right now and have been wearing a brace that holds me straight for 30 mins at a time and then I have to hold it bent for 30 mins. It hurts but seems to have helped get my knee cap to move again so I can get a better bend with less pain. You could check into maybe getting one, it sucks but it is the only thing working for me. Progressive tension splint.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 05:47:06 PM by Kimberly 77 »
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline Kate7

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 08:40:34 PM »
Hi guys thanks for the reply's.  I had an ACL Recon (LKnee) back on Dec 6 2010 (due to a soccer tackle). The Meniscus was ok nothing to worry about there.  I was in a brace for 1 week only.  I visit my PT once a week as i am a Trainer myself so i know a little about rehab/exercise.  I work on it "everyday" from Hydro right through to Isometrics.  My Ortho said they won't do a MUA just yet and they will wait to see down the track how it goes.  If i could just break through the cement in my knee i would have a party :D I have been on a rollercoaster ride with my emotions since it happened.  Gee you get down. But seriously if this is the worse thing that can happen, then I'm pretty lucky.   I got all excited because i havent been able to sit on our bar stools in the kitchen with my feet up on the rest, and then last night i could.. so that's a step forward i reckon.  Thank you for all your help    ;)

Offline Kate7

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 08:45:09 PM »
Hi Stasha,  how did you end up with your knee?? And how did you do it??   :)

Offline Kate7

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 03:47:48 AM »
I'm 9 weeks out form my 2nd scope. At the 5 month mark after my first scope I was only at 92 and my extension was only -25 so pretty bad. I had another scope in Jan. and am at 95 by myself and with force from therapist I was 102 yesterday, my extention was -12. So yeah I know the fustration, I feel like I am starting to get there but taking lots of time and work. How often are you in PT? I go 4 days a week right now and have been wearing a brace that holds me straight for 30 mins at a time and then I have to hold it bent for 30 mins. It hurts but seems to have helped get my knee cap to move again so I can get a better bend with less pain. You could check into maybe getting one, it sucks but it is the only thing working for me. Progressive tension splint.
Maybe there is light at the end of the dark dark tunnel for us after all  ???

Offline Stasha83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 11:08:19 AM »
Hi Kate

I injured my knee jogging on a treadmill (no fall or stumble!) in June 2010. I had surgery a few weeks later and had my hoffa pad removed and was then immobilised in a brace for 6 weeks (this should never have happened but thats another story).

No matter how hard I tried I could not get my flexion and extension back and ended up with a fixed flexion deformity (walking on a bent knee) and my knee rotated inwards.

After seeing 3 surgeons who would not help me, my physio sent me to an amazing OS in London who diagnosed me with Arthrofibrosis (scar tissue problem). We tried every conservative option but none worked so I had another surgery and an MUA 3 weeks ago to remove the scar tissue and adhesions.

3 weeks post op I am now have full extension (but not yet whilst weight bearing) and am currently at 125 degrees flexion passive. A massive improvement to how I was before  ;D I still have a very long way to go but so far, so good.

I really hope this is not the case for you, its just that when you said you're knee felt like cement alarm bells rang because that is how I would describe my knee to people. How long does your OS want to wait before considering an MUA? Has he mentioned scar tissue to you?
Feb 11 - MUA & LOA
Aug 11 - MUA & LOA

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 03:08:09 PM »
Stasha what was your flexion and extension prior to the MUA? My therapist has made some comments like "I bet if they scoped your knee now they would just find a bunch of scar tissue" and she has asked if I tend to have thick scarring on my skin and things like that so I assume she is thinking maybe arthofibrisis too. My knee also feels like cement and my progress is slow and painful. I also walk on a bent knee, no way I could bare weight and straighten my knee, however it won't fully straighten when sitting either. Curious about the fixed flexion deformity you were talking about.
Right leg amputee.

Offline Stasha83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 04:07:40 PM »
Hi Kimberly

I read your posts alot and am sorry to hear that you are still struggling. It really is a nightmare isn't it? Prior to my MUA I had 80 degrees flexion and a 10 degree extension lag. I could not straighten my leg when lying, sitting or standing. I had been like that for 8 months  :(

I don't have a scar tissue problem anywhere else, ie when I cut myself it will heal normally without excessive scar tissue.

If you walk on a bent knee all the time and can not straighten it I think that would be classed as a fixed flexion deformity, that is the problem that I had (and still do). On crutches I am better but still not 100%. Without the crutches I still have it and just cannot straighten the leg whilst weight bearing, the leg buckles when I try. My physio says it will come back eventually though. I can now straighten the leg when not weight bearing, ie when lying down so that is an improvement  :)

Has your OS not mentioned scar tissue or AF to you? It does sound suspiciously similar to my symptoms i'm afraid to say  :(
Feb 11 - MUA & LOA
Aug 11 - MUA & LOA

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 05:57:35 PM »
My os hasn't mentioned a thing about scarr tissue all he said is I am really tight and need to work it out. I have only seen him once since my last surgery but I have a appoint. with him April 12th so I will definately bring it up. My therapist told me today that she didn't feel she was going to be able to get me much farther she feels I may not be able to bend any better or starighten on my own. But I was at 104 flexion today that is more than I have been in a year, I'm stuck at -12 to -15 with extension depending on the day.  My knee also will buckle if I even try to lean back slowly to help straighten my knee. I'm just not sure what is next, 2 scopes and no real improvement, I'm getting desperate. I walk with crutches because I am a amputee so taking some pressure off this knee is not a option for me, I do use a wheelchair at home alot since all this began.
Right leg amputee.

Offline Stasha83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 08:38:02 PM »
How about getting a second opinion? I saw 3 other OS's prior to my current one and none of them would help me, one even suggested that it was all in my mind and implied I was going crazy!!!! Some people on this forum have had to see up to 10 OS's to get a diagnosis  :(

It is a horrible situation for you to be in. It sounds as if your therapist seems to understand your problems more than your OS. Can she recommend another OS?
Feb 11 - MUA & LOA
Aug 11 - MUA & LOA

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 09:02:12 PM »
Actually this is the 2nd os I have been too. My first surgery was done by another Dr. He screwed my knee up more during my last surgery or that is what my current os says. I like the guy Im seeing now verses the other one I was seeing. He seems to be very informative when I am there. I haven't seen him since I was 4 weeks out and he suggested I see his therapist in addition to the one I was already seeing, so I go to his office once a week because it is a liong drive for me and then go to a place closer in town 3 days a week. He seems fairly concerned but has just not mentioned the scarr tissue to me. I know his next plan of action is just more shots in my knee and I know how I react to them so don't feel its going to help a thing, feeling like I am at square one again. My treatment for a year now has been shot, surgery, theraphy, none works. I have gone to 22 theraphy sessions since surgery 9 weeks ago and I am still not getting very far. My ins. has now refused to pay for more theraphy, so yeah back to square one. FUSTRATING!
Right leg amputee.

Offline Stasha83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 10:10:32 PM »
I had steroid injections in December and January but they did nothing. If you like your current OS and trust him, how about going in with a list of questions and asking him if scar tissue is causing your problems? You could also just be blunt and say you have done alot of research and are concerned that you may have AF? Perhaps then you might get the help that you need?
Feb 11 - MUA & LOA
Aug 11 - MUA & LOA

support