Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: My PCL inury is driving me crazy  (Read 601 times)

Offline greenlexie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
My PCL inury is driving me crazy
« on: March 16, 2011, 10:11:56 PM »
It's been 13 weeks tomorrow since my intia laccident  and I look down at my leg see my brace and stat thinking where am I going next.
 I have a consultantion with my OS next week and feeling really worried about what he will do.  being so young and still having so much to do I'm really worried thaat he might leave it and it might get worse or it might get early on set arthritis(My mum already has severe arthtiris in knee, fingers and elbows.... this is really worrying me).
At this stage I'm worried about my future more than the here and now, will my knee handle being pregnant,running around after the kids.... will I be bale to take them swimming or to the park.
Will I be able to walk around and be a teacher like I have always wanted to be.
Will I need surgey(I think so, but my parents think it will repair on my own).... if I do when do I have it sooner or later ?
I'm really lost :(

I know have a small minority type of  injury but when it comes to whats best for the future any sensible thinking will help :D

23/12/2010- tripped and fully dislocated my knee and ruptured PCl and torn the other ligaments
today- in a knee brace with no idea
my blog-http://thingsthatchangeyourlife.blogspot.com/

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • PCL recovery blog
Re: My PCL inury is driving me crazy
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 12:49:00 AM »
Strengthening the quads is really important for a pcl injury. There are people that lead normal lives without a pcl. There have been NFL players who tore it and returned to the NFL without surgery. On the flip side, there are also pros for whom a pcl tear was a career ending injury. I went for 5 years without the pcl being much of a problem. I never gave it much thought until it started getting unstable while doing normal things. But there is no way to know how your knee will be. There hasn't really been any conclusive evidence that repairing the pcl delays the onset of arthritis. The thing is that no one can predict if you individually can live without a pcl. I don't regret my surgery, but I was having tons of instability before I did it. Why that developed, I don't really know but if it hadn't, I would still be walking around pcl-less.
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/