Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Blood blister on scar (4 months post op) burning and stiffening of knee???  (Read 3402 times)

Offline pinotlover

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Hi

Today after 4 months of straight forwrad physio for my ACLr I was sat at my desk when I felt a sensation like a red hot poker being driven into my scar. Followed by a burning sensation down the back of my leg and round in the shin area. Knee seems to have stiffened up a little and have prob lost 10-20 degress ROM and when I pulled my trouser leg up I have a what looks like a blood blister on one section of my scar! Anyone any ideas as to what could be happening?
Thanks in advance

PL
Feb 2010 - A&E say dislocated knee & twisted
Mar 2010 - Fracture clinic say return to sport "nothing wrong with knee"
June 2010 - First netball match, 3 min in, jumped, landed, agony! A&E "twisted knee" but get PT appt, she demands MRI
July 2010 - MRI 100% ACL Tear
17 Nov 2010 - ACLr Hamstring Graft

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
I have to be honest - this sounds really odd and if I were you I'd get to a doctor ASAP. I haven't heard of anything like this happening, and any likely explanations that I can think of make no sense given that you were sitting quietly at your desk when it happened. The only possible explanation I can come up with (and it's a total guess, completely without any medical foundation or precedent) is some kind of internal infection or abscess bursting, but even that doesn't make much sense if you haven't been running a fever, had any discomfort or other signs of infection. The only reason that I'm suggesting it is that when my incision got infected, it did have what looked like a little blood blister on it briefly. (The infection turned out to be MRSA, but fortunately they were able to treat it with sulfa drugs and it wasn't a major setback to my recovery.)

Good luck - I hope you're able to get to a doctor and get it checked out.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline pinotlover

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Hi,
Thank you for your reply! I got a doctors appt at 5.50pm last night and said he thought the only logical answer was an infection of some sort. He prescribed me antibiotics 500mg every fours hours. He has write to ne consultant to tell him they suspect an infection. I had physio this morning and they checked it out. Said a definate infection and to return on Friday and if it is still problematic and the tablets dont seemed to have worked then she will request my surgeon/consultant see me that day! Fingers crossed my horse sized tablets work!

Jen/Pinot
Feb 2010 - A&E say dislocated knee & twisted
Mar 2010 - Fracture clinic say return to sport "nothing wrong with knee"
June 2010 - First netball match, 3 min in, jumped, landed, agony! A&E "twisted knee" but get PT appt, she demands MRI
July 2010 - MRI 100% ACL Tear
17 Nov 2010 - ACLr Hamstring Graft

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Yowch - poor you! Hopefully the antibiotics will knock it right out. I was a bit freaked out when my incision infected (especially when I found out it was MRSA) but with the right treatment it cleared up very quickly. Will keep my fingers crossed that you start seeing signs of improvement soon!

Kay
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

support