Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Are braces worth the money to play sport?  (Read 2359 times)

Offline scotsman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Are braces worth the money to play sport?
« on: November 03, 2003, 11:42:01 PM »
Having had knee problems for years due to a number of serious crashes during ski races, a PT eventually discovered a meniscal tear. Many exercises later and months in the gym and it feels good but I still have pain when I hit the slopes. My PT tells me that a good quality knee brace would help, suggesting a C-180 brace by Innovation Sports, retailing at 299 in the UK. Does anyone have any experience with this brace and is it really worth the money or would a cheaper hinged neoprene support do the same job??

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Are braces worth the money to play sport?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003, 05:29:38 PM »
Hey !!

I would really go for the expensive one if you are a sporty person. Depends one what you are doing in sports and how often. Think that your knee should last your whole life. Have you asked him(pt) of what he thinks ? Have you got the possibility having him with you while testing a brace ? Well I'm from Sweden and I've got different kinds of braces but not that one.
Hope someone else can be more helpful then I.

good luck in hunting a brace.

hugs nettan  
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: Are braces worth the money to play sport?
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2003, 11:23:46 PM »
Braces aren't going to make any difference if you are dealing with a meniscal tear, Get the tear fixed then worry about a brace.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.