Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 9 knee surgeries and still not fixed.... HELP PLEASE!  (Read 870 times)

Offline dleecook

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
9 knee surgeries and still not fixed.... HELP PLEASE!
« on: March 13, 2011, 09:31:18 PM »
Group,
    I am a 33 year old active female.  Since I was 18 I have had a variety of procedures done on my left knee (9 total procedures)    I am so extremely frustrated at this point that I am looking for any advise you may offer!  In may of 2009 I had an OATS procedure on my medial femoral condyle.  In Feb. of 2010 I had to have the plug removed because it has come out and wedged itself in the joint which caused my knee to lock up.  In Dec of 2010 I had the ACI done on my trochlea, patella, and medial femoral condyle along with a Fulkerson Osteotomy.  He also did something he called a sandwich procedure on the medial femoral condyle since the OATS procedure had failed prior.  (I hope I am saying this correctly)   I kept having intense pain in the medial joint line and I am now 12 weeks post op.  Last week the surgeon performed a manipulation and cleaned out scar tissue.  He said the patch on the medial femoral condyle failed.  He said I needed to have an MRI to figure out why the medial femoral condyle hasn't healed either time. In 2 weeks I will have an MRI. 

My question for you all is what is next?  I can't live in pain like this.  Something has to be done!  Has anyone experienced something similar?  What are my options at this point?  I am faithful to my rehabilitation and had hoped that this major procedure in Dec. would have fixed the problems but apparently it was not successful.  Any and all information would be GREATLY appreciated.  Thank you!

D'Lee

Offline mountainknees

• Regular Poster
Re: 9 knee surgeries and still not fixed.... HELP PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 02:59:38 PM »
Not only can I say I feel your pain, I have yor pain.  I have been on high doses of morphine for four years now, after eleven surgeries on rt. knee and failed total knee replacement.
While I am not 100% sure of what kind of damage you have suffered, I have been told by my excellent pain management doctor that multiple surgeries in a joint like the knee can in itself cause major neouropathic pain, regardless of the outcome.
While new to this site, I have noticed that many responders live in the U.K>, so I don't know if what I am suggesting is possible in your medical system, as I live in Washington D.C.
While it does not fix the problem a visit and consult with a good certified pain management doctor can usually get the pain down to a level where you can at least have some function oif life.

Pain management is just that, it manages the pain, does not take it away, but with me it is the difference in having to stay in my room in bed, or using my power wheelchair and getting out of the house.
There are a mumber of options a good pain doctor has, spinal injections that control pain transmission, even pump inplants that deliver medication directly to the area of the spinal cord that controls pain in the knee area.  You can also get on an opiate program with morphine or methadone, all of which work well.
I think you need to look at your problem as two seperate issues.  One to find the cause of the failed surgeries, and maybe a new surgeon with a fresh approach, and second the pain rel;ief while you are looking for a longer term fix.

I hope this has been some help to you and will change your focus and see that you really need two different types of doctors to deal iwth your mediucal issues.

Offline dleecook

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 11:19:23 PM »
Thank you so much for the information.  I will certainly look into the pain management route!  I truly appreciate you taking time to post your knowledge! Thanks

Offline SkyMaster19

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 08:56:51 PM »
I "feel" your pain. Having 5th procedure on 11 April (so far Meni X2 repair, Replacement, Washout, and Debridement) for what looks like a revision (removal of prosthetic, insert antibiotic spacer, and new prosthetic 4 months later). I started in April 07.

Certainly takes the wind out your sails and a drastic change in lifestyle. While new here I'll begin posting post op so check in once in awhile.