Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Things could not get worse HELP  (Read 600 times)

Offline mountainknees

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Things could not get worse HELP
« on: March 13, 2011, 07:31:42 PM »
Aside from being in constant pain which even my Pain doc. cannot fully understand I am getting conflicting information from two different well respected doctors.
I have had a tiotal knee replacement done in 2002.  Since then I have had four additional surgeries to try and get at the route cause of chronic pain.
I have seen no less than four well respected U.S. orthopedic surgeons, and all say revision and reconstruction is a must to have any chance at a pain free life.
The doctor I have chosen has twenty years experience as a combat trauma surgeon, most recently in the Afgan war, so I know she can think on her feet, and has seen it all.

She is very bright, highly skilled and all business and I think offers me my best chance at a successful surgery
HOWEVER, I have a personal friend who is a Physical Medicine Rehab Physician.  He sees hundreds of patients after their primary and revision knee surgeries and prescribes their rehab for them
He is SCREAMING at me not to have any further surgery.  He said the knee is as good as it will ever be, that if I cannot control the pain I should find another pain doctor, but I have seen three with little help.  When I asked him why the difference in professional opinion, he looked at me and said, "When you walk around with a hammer in your hand all day, everything looks like a nail, surgeons love to do surgery."

I am scheduled for surgery in mid April and would like input from anyone out their who has opted to avoid revisioon knee surgery after being told it was needed.  Input would be very helpful. Thanks