Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: URGENT! EDS 3 & STOMACH ULCER?  (Read 1967 times)

Offline sikboy7

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
URGENT! EDS 3 & STOMACH ULCER?
« on: November 03, 2003, 07:51:01 PM »
I have EDS type 3 (or hypermobility syndrome). I'm very shortly having a painful lump of lymphatic tissue removed from the very back of my throat, this is going to be done using silver nitrate on a stick, (a 'caustic applicator') which will burn away the lump, but some of the silver nitrate will inevitably end up in my stomach and I've been warned theres a small chance it could cause a stomach ulcer. I heard stomach ulcers develop more easily in people with EDS and are difficult to cure, is this true?

I already have many problems with my body like we all do, and I'm anxious not to create a new one while we attempt to get rid of another.

I can't have a general anaesthetic as I also have POTS, and I've already had lazer surgery four times to reduce the lump to its current size, so there doesnt seem to be another option. Should I risk it?

thanks, Ceri.

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • G'Day from Australia
Re: URGENT! EDS 3 & STOMACH ULCER?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2003, 04:24:23 AM »
Ceri,
Like you I have EDS 3. I am sorry but I can't help you as I do not know if ED increases our risk of ulcer.
I have seen your post on CEDA as well.
I think we are all different and even those with type 3 are all different in severeity and symptoms and such.
If I was you I would get the doctors to take EVERY possible precaustion and maybe even go onto some kind of ulcer medications both before and after to try to prevent any possibility of an ulcer occuring.
I am guessing seeing as how ou have had this lump removed/treated a number of times before, it is something that needs to be treated and as the other method isn't working I guess you only options are to either live with the lump, have this new treatment and hope for the best, research and see what other options there are (try going to your local hospitals/medical library (yes anyone can access these libraries) and see what you can find out, or your other option is to try the treatment again that has already failed more than once.
Sorry I can't be of any further help to you.
Good Luck in your quest for what to do and I hope that everythign turns out for the best for you.
Sharon
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

support