Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Should my daughter have surgery  (Read 858 times)

Offline Marie McK

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Should my daughter have surgery
« on: March 13, 2011, 12:49:25 PM »
Hi Just need to ask opinions. My 13 year old daughter is a dancer, mainly ballet, lyrical and tap. In May 2010 her left knee gave way ?subluxed and she had physio for some time then went back to dancing. In August it happened agin so had a CT scan which showed a prominent bilateral patellar tilt. She was told by one sports physician that she neded a patellar realignment when she stopped rowing and not much else could be done until then. Not good news when she has danced all her life since 2 and does about 15 hours a week. She has had lots of physio and exercises to strenghthen her inner medial ligament and massage and accupuncture to relax the outer thigh muscle. She also dances with her knee taped but about a month ago after having rested from dancing for about 2 months but continuing the exercises her knee subluxed again twice in one week , once at the beach and again when she rolled over in bed. Now the physio is agreeing with the surgery but no one will say exactly what kind and if she will be okay to dance again after it obviously after rehab. She has worked hard at strengthening her ligaments and muscles again and now the physio wants her to dance withut tape on and she is freaking out as she is sure it will pop again. Im confused as to why she needs surgery if she should be managing without tape or barcing her knees until she is about 16.
Hope thats clear
Marie

Offline Skiier Jo Jo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Should my daughter have surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 02:32:59 PM »
What does her surgeon say?
Skiier Jo Jo

Aged 33
Fractured tibial tubercle (plus other bits sloughed off!) and displaced meniscus on 24th Dec 2010
Emergency surgery - Zimmer plate and 10 screws (8 permanent). Straight leg brace
Physio started on day 6. 
Feb 2011 - almost fully straighten leg, with up to 85 degree bend

Offline Marie McK

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 12:04:21 AM »
The sports physician who is very reputable as he is also the consultant for the state ballet company, but also very abrupt says yes and one physio says yes whilst 2 say no. Havent seen an orthpaedic surgeon yet as all others say nothing will be done for a couple of years. My concern is that if she has the surgery will her knees be as they used to or will the surgery hamper her dancing further.

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 12:36:33 AM »
It's so hard to know what to do. Her knee won't be the "same" after surgery because it will have a new alignment. That's not to say she wouldn't be able to dance. She may or may not be able to. Hard to say. It might be a good idea to go talk to a surgeon to see what exactly needs to be done to fix her problem and to see when it needs to be done. I would caution you, and I imagine a dozen others here would jump in with me, take her to see an OS who specializes in patella problems. You might find an OS who is great at ACLs or TKRs or whatever, but if he isn't great at patellas, then he isn't the OS for you. Realigning a patella is a precise thing--it needs to address her specific alignment issues. Going for an evaluation doesn't lock you into surgery, but it would give you some more information to work with. Maybe something could be done now or maybe she has to wait and grow more. But you'll know.

Read the patella course in the information hub and read posts in the patella board. Look for "TTT" which is a realignment procedure. Also look for "MPFL" which is a ligament procedure that sometimes needs to be reconstructed to stabilize the patella. Also read the cautions about "LR" which is lateral release. A lot of OS's will perform LRs on people with bad alignment, but in a case of instability, that can be a bad idea, so read up on what all that means. And ask questions as you go along. Most of us aren't medical professionals, but we have been through the procedures you're talking about and we've done a lot of research and asked a lot of questions of our own.

We can't tell you if she should have surgery, but maybe we can help you get informed so you can make the best possible decision for your daughter.  Good luck!
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline mcmurrow

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 04:32:59 PM »
Sorry your daughter is going through this. Like most of us here, i know exactly how you and your daughter are feeling. My subluxing began at age 17 and i can tell you do your research!  Like the poster before said, find someone who knows a lot about the patella issues. I am now 35 and had my 7th surgery last week. I have had several different realignment procedures done and it "can" change quality of life in a way you cant get back. I have had three lat releases/ vmo advancement procedures. It worked great for my right leg, but failed my left leg.  The bigger procedures that mess with bone realignment can really change the the things you do. I had the maquet procedure and ever since, cant run, bike, skate, stairs are horrible, just getting off the floor is a challenge. However, that being said every time your knee subluxes or dislocates their is damage being done to the cartilage in the knee. I have horrible arthritis due to the amount of subluxing in both knees. It is a tough decision that should not be taken lightly. Unfortunately, i didnt have a choice as the first time mine subluxed i fell and tore a muscle. So the surgeries began. Now, my goal is to just be able to walk without falling.

All that being said, i pray you find the best decision for your daughter. I danced as a young girl and it was my love. So i feel for her. As a mom of a dancer now, i pray i didnt pass my awful knees to my little girl!  Best of
luck!

Mcmurrow