Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Grade 2 Meniscus Tear - Any chance it will heal on it's own?  (Read 9165 times)

Offline sor

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Grade 2 Meniscus Tear - Any chance it will heal on it's own?
« on: March 13, 2011, 09:25:18 AM »
I am SO glad to have found this site! After reading through a LOT of it, I freakin finally was able to register and post.

I basically got hurt at work back in October. Repetitive back strains, mild bulging disc, and repetitive knee strains that eventually turned to freakin painful, burning patellofemoral pain (the seeming "catch-all' for most knee pain), some nerve-entrapment symptoms, and late January I managed to repeat injure my left knee, this time it resulted in a grade 2 meniscus tear (oh, and my doctor said the lateral meniscus was beginning to get a small tear. Greeat, EYEROLL, lol....

I finally caved and got the cortisone shot but I am worried that the deep ache in my knees at this point is the onset of arthritis (I'm 36, just well aware that since I was hurt at work everything has been cared for in a modified kind of way as I have had to work through allll of this-----and my job consists of walking on concrete/cement (insides) the entire shift. Since OCT I've been going back and forth with my back and knees, and oftentimes just ALL of it. Awful!

Long story short, the burning in my knees has greatly subsided and will hopefully stay that way, FINGERS CROSSED! It has been a very ver scary few months. I so hope it stays away! I still have some knee pain, but NOTHING compared to what it was. I pray it's not just the cortisone and that in a month or so it's still this improved..... only time can tell.

HOWEVER, the grade 3 meniscus tear behind my left knee and going a bit down the inside of my knee, is a real pain. I can finally WALK NORMALLY, no immobilizer, no nothing. And put equal weight on my left knee. But it still feels more wobbly than the other, like it wants to bow out a bt, and it ALSO just feels sore and painful in the back of my knee. This is helped by nothing, and I'M TIRED OF IT. My doc says they MAYBE would operate down the line, but right now it's nothing he would operate on. I loathe the thought of surgery, but I am freaked this is the best it'll be. Honestly, meniscus healings are rare on their own is what all research does show me. My doctor is great, but I will actually be seeing another doctor for a 2nd opinion as it's my legal right and I'm not satisfied with how my doctor treats my questions and addresses my situation.

In YOUR experiences, do these things often heal? My knee is not "locking", whatever that means, which is why he wants to do little about it. I think that is a cop-out. My knees have been so far through the ringer that I feel like I'm just spent and that my knees have likely gotten worse since I got my MRI and MRI results, period. I've gotten little rest, just physical therapy and then work work work.

What are the odds/chances of a grade 2 healing at some point? Slim to none? I cannot figure out where anybody's head is at with this. Seriously, I like to KICKBOX, namely MUAY THAI. So....how am I supposed to jump with my left knee and twist my hips to throw my right leg into a killer kick? And like hopping on it, doing 10 in a row? Just the thought is kinda painful, and there's no way I'd attempt it. I have a feeling a small menisectomy or repair, even, would fix this, no?

What do you guys think? THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE! I am so eager to hear your thoughts on this.

Offline markfrs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Grade 2 Meniscus Tear - Any chance it will heal on it's own?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 05:38:03 PM »
hi i know how you feel i injured my knee back in october and even though its a lot better its still giving me a few problems and im wondering if it will heal on its own, doctors dont seem to be too bothered been there twice now last time just said exercise it and maybe some physio 1 minute it aches standing at work then its ok ish then aches again sure does drive you crazy  :(
mark

Offline sor

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 05:20:32 AM »
I correct myself---I said grade 3  in my post and I have a grade 2 tear...one that is CHRONIC, no matter what. Since mid-January. Mark, thanks for your reply and I'm sorry to hear about what you are going through, too. Have you had an MRI to see WHAT could be causing this pain? If exercise isn't helping it, it may be something else, non-muscular. Exercise supports the knee, but if something is torn then you have to be careful what exercises you do. Sounds like you are in physical therapy? Physical therapists see so much and you have so much more time to pick their brains. I totally ask mine all sorts of questions, they are great. But a tear is a tear. I'm wondering how many have had success healing their meniscus tears on their own, without intervention. It doesn't sound very promising but I hope I'm wrong. Thanks.

Offline markfrs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 12:41:06 AM »
hi ive not had an mri scan no! the doctors dont seem that interested at the mo i need to start some physio i think, its not as bad as it was but i find standing all day on it at work makes it ache and like u said i too really hope that if its a tear that we both heal ok it sure is not much fun  :(

Offline sor

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 01:53:25 AM »
With all due respect, I would get a different doctor and get an MRI. You can generally get an MRI for a cash price of like $300 somewhere in any area, if need be (I would go that route even if I had insurance but a high deductible, etc, if I could). That's your knee you're talking about. If it's still this way, there's something going on and an x-ray doesn't tell you jack squat. Peace.

Offline markfrs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 03:12:08 PM »
yes i will have to look into this some days it feels a lot better then other days not as good, it does seem to be taking a long time to heal i have not done a huge amount of exercise with it walking feels ok just standing in one place like at work not moving around much makes it ache a bit if i bend leg feels a lot better

Offline sor

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 03:51:28 PM »
Interesting. This/These are my first knee injuries so I am far from an expert, just looked a lot into meniscus tears (which DON'T seem to heal; hopefully in 2 weeks my doc will opt to just FIX IT) and stuff like patellofemoral pain and other crap. i would look into the MRI and  new ortho, still, and definitely write a list of what definitely makes it worse (i.e. squatting, stairs, pressure, etc) and what makes it feel better (i.e. manual therapy, ice, walking) and even keep a timeline of dates for significant improvements and/or setbacks, origin of symptoms, etc. Everything helps. Good luck with that!

Offline markfrs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 07:53:13 PM »
thanks all the best with yours ;)

support