Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: microfracture ??????  (Read 4622 times)

Offline scott.hadley

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
microfracture ??????
« on: March 12, 2011, 11:24:42 AM »
well my surgeon has now deceided that he wants to do microfracture on my right leg,HOW can this be of any help to me?? let me expand on this,i have had 7 opps on my left knee,resulting in me having NO cartlage(to speak of) remaining in that knee,and 6 opps on my right knee(so far)as both of knees are now BONE-ON-BONE how can this posiibly help,the surgeon is very reluctant to give me new knees as i am only 50 years old,but my mobility is so bad now i am using a wheel chair,(but not all the time) all i want is a better quallity of life,and as we all know there are only so many general anesthetics i would be better waiting untill i can get new knees(or should i go ahead with the opp??? ) any imput would be well recieved,...THANKS

Offline maddo1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: microfracture ??????
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 07:43:15 AM »
Hi Scott, I am in the same position as you apart from I have just had MF done, I also like you need knee replacement but at the age of 38 its a definate get lost for me, try and hang on for the KR and push your PCT you never know you might get it x

Offline Jill M

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 12:24:55 AM »
Scott,
If you if have no joint space and bone and bone a total knee replacement seems more reasonable vs. Microfracture. I am 40 years old and had a TKR this year. I had 7 surgeries prior to my TKR. I realize is not ideal to have a knee replaced at a younger age but I took the plunge. I choose to do so only after a 2nd, 3rd, and finally my 4th opinion. 
I suggest you seek another opinion. A TKR is not the end of you life. In fact for many it gives them their life back. They are able to do things they couldn't do before and gain pain relief that they never thought was possible.
Jill
8/07 Right subtotal meniscectomy
4/08 Chronic meniscus tear, grade 4 changes
10/08- R distal femoral osteotomy, lateral meniscal transplant, tibia microfracture, osteochondral allograft femur
12/08- AF noted, LOA
2/09- MUA
8/09- extensive LOA, patella baja
1/20/11- TKR

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 07:32:56 AM »
Get yourself more opinions on this. A microfracture is a tough rehab and time after. I am in wheelchair 24/7 due to RSD/CRPS, a paindisorder and cause I have a spinal damage.
I have had microfracture on my right knee after having a typical soccerinjury, how anyone in wheelchair now can get that !
But rehab back was hard and took me at least 18 months to feel somewhat good and guess what, now 3 years after surgery my knee is chipping of pieces of cartilage again and pain and swelling and locking is back.
Sounds like TKR would be a better option for you if you are bone to bone, but I am no doctor !
I know lots of people in your age that have had TKR.
All the best to you !/Nettan
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline lizi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 01:47:11 PM »
hi all,
Ive had 2 keyhole defribs done in the past but I had left knee microfracture and defrib done a week ago now and was told after the surgery by the surgeons assistant that there was a lot of damage in the knee including a nick underneath? He also stated that the arthritis to the right of my knee is severe but also that under this the cartilage had completely gone and was bone rubbing against bone, he said this should hopefully work for a while but will most probably be needing a partial new knee in the future, im 49 now and if i was really a bit too far gone as a candidate for MF as it seems why didnt they do a new knee at the time instead if im going to be needing one anyway?

Also ive been signed off non weight bearing and on crutches for 6-8 weeks (is it 6 or is it 8? i have some excersises to do but have read on the internet that nearly all patents are asked to use a type of motion machine that wasnt mentioned to me - what is this and should i have had one?

When could i realistically go back to work - i do have a desk job and could get a lift to and from work or does the leg have to stay elevated

Thanks Liz

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 02:20:56 PM »
You probably mean a CPM machine to keep your joint moving. You can achieve the same on your own with having the joint bending and stretching while sitting on the bed.
You need to keep your leg elevated or you can achieve lots of swelling, but maybe you can arrange that at work at prop it up on something.
Iceing will also be a help.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline mountainknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 04:22:06 PM »
Get many opinions from as many top orthopedic physicians as you can.  After eleven surgeries on my right knee I am in a wheelchair 85 to 90% of the time.  I am faced with a decision on a revision and reconstruction or simply having the leg removed and getting a prosthetic leg and getting on with my life.  In your circumstances, and as yoiung as you are I would consult doctors at any of the large teaching hospitals in your area.  In general I have learned that many of the doctors in private practice at community hospitals are not as up to date as those who are on University medical school staffs.  Those are the doctors who make the major advances in their field.  Whatever you do, do not jump into a decision and it is well worht the time and travel costs to see some of the top surgeons at major medical centers.  The decision you make will have profound implications for the rest of your life.  So go slow and good luck.  Mountainknees

Contractorarsenal

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 04:15:15 PM »
Hi Scott,

I'm 53 and have had 3 ops on my left knee that has left me with vertually no cartilage.
I'm bone on bone with the 1st stages on arthritsis setting in.
I was offered a HKR or High Tibial Osteotomy and chose the HTO as it will prolong my years of activity. Having the HTO will also allow me to have a HKR later in life.
The recovery time from a HTO is long and painful initially but I think its worth asking your OS about.

Cheers

Mike

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 09:55:39 AM »
I'd go for a second opinion. At 50, if you've already got significant articular cartilage damage, then microfracture may not be the way to go. After 6 surgeries, depending on what's already damaged, your existing persistent pain levels, quality of life, I'd be seriously wanting to know why he's suggesting that route, in detail, and what he thinks you'd gain out of it. The older you are the less likely it is that microfracture would be successful, according to my OS. Mine mentioned that once people get to about your age, he wouldn't even do it, as he felt that it had a lower success rate as you age.

Even at my age -39, the success rate's about 80%, and I'm one of the ones where the procedure failed, and that was just determined 8 months postop. So, now I have to wait nearly a year until I have insurance again and am settled in my new job for FMLA to kick in so that I can have OATS and have an OCD lesion grafted. Hopefully it doesn't get too much bigger in the meantime.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 06:30:35 PM »
I had microfracture surgery done and it's been really good since.  The surgeon takes an ice-pick like tool and pokes holes in the end of the bone which causes it to bleed.  The blood forms what is called a SUPER CLOT which acts as artificial cartlidge.  The artificial cartlidge is much more fragile then your original stuff so you'll be limmited on what you can do from this point forward.  You'll have to be non-weight bearing for several weeks.  If you put any weight on it at all it could ruin the formation of the super clot so you need to plan for that.  Figure out how you're going to get a bath/shower...how you're going to get into the tub when you can't put weight on one leg.  My husband had to make me a seat out of wood so I could get in and out of the tub.  Stock up on ready to eat foods and bottled or canned drinks.  Things you can put into a bag that you can carry while hopping on crutches.  You'll need a chair with wheels on it.  It doesn't have to be a wheel chair, it can be just a plain desk chair with wheels on it.  Get out clothes for every weather condition that may occur with in the next 8 weeks.  When I had my surgery it was early May so it was still chili out so I was still wearing my long sleved shirts and sweathers.  4 weeks later it was the beginning of June and was HOT
out and I hadn't thought to get out my summer clothes.  It was not good!!  Remove any tripping hazzards and stock up on things to do to pass the time.  Stock up on stuff like shampoo, soap, shaving cream, toilet paper..anything you're goiong to need for the next 6 weeks.  Hopping around the grocery store on crutches is a real pain in the butt.  You'll need some one to help you with the laundry and dishes and other household chores.  Especially meals.  You can't carry a plate of food while you're hopping on crutches.  You're not going to be able to do those things yourself, you'll need help.  The re-hab was not bad, it was just the waiting period, waiting for the supper clot to form and to harden that was the worst part.  Also, you will be given exercises to do in order to prevent a blod clot in the non-weight bearing leg.......DO DO DO the exercises no matter how much it hurts.  I didn't do them and ended up with a blood clot in the leg and believe me, the recovery from that was way worse then the knee surgery and the physical thearapy.  Dealing with a blood clot involves giving yourself two shots of LOVENOX in the stomach every day for 10 days and taking Cumiden for 3 months which includes weekly blood tests which get old real quick so I can't even tell you how important it is to DO THE EXERCISES.