Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Failed OATS-How Do I Know  (Read 3270 times)

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Failed OATS-How Do I Know
« on: March 11, 2011, 07:28:58 AM »
This is my story:
I fell into a stairwell back in November of 09 tearing my MCL, lateral meniscus and the articular cartiladge from the medial condyle of the femur.  I had MFX back in April of 2010.  That failed and I had OATS in December of 2010.  I am 12 weeks out and still having a great deal of pain.  I am currently still on crutches with 50% weight bearing.  They are trying to get me off the crutches but the pain is so great still.  I go to PT two to three times a week.  My ROM is not bad however i get a great deal of popping and cracking with movement.  It will lock in place when it is bent for extended period of time. :P

HELP.  Is it too soon to be concerned about a failure.  What are the symptoms of a failed OATS.  If it does fail what are my options from there.

Thanks for any help advice you have to offer.
Nov 09 Torn MCL, Articular Cartilage & Lateral Meniscus
April 10 Microfracture Failed/menisectomy
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
Nov 11 Allograft MCL Recon
Jan 13 Chondroplasty, Lat Release
May 13 TTO/Lat Release
Dec 14 lat retinaculum repair
Nov 15 screw removal tighten lat retinaculum

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Failed OATS-How Do I Know
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 11:21:11 AM »
I am not sure how you would know whether it had failed or not, but knowing that full recovery from a procedure such as OATS/MOSAICPLATY can take a full year and more i would be inclined to think that at 12 weeks it is too soon to be thinking that it has failed.

I had mosaicplasty in June 2008 and 2nd acl revision in oct 09.....it is only now in march 2011 that i can tell you that my knee is as good as it is going to get.  Recovery fromt his is slow.....mega slow and yes it is extreamely painful.  I was on crutches for 10 weeks, but have an abnormal high pain threshold and was off work for 17 weeks from mine,

However due to going back in to redo the acl i can tell you that it was a success, in fact i let the surgoen who did it borrow the dvd from the acl op to see the work he had done.....there is still some arthritis there, there are still a couple of small osteophytes, but there is nothing like the lesions that were there before.

Stick with the plans and the protocols that your OS has given you.  I hope it hasnt failed, for me failure would have meant TKR and at 41 and in the UK that would have been difficult to have got.

Good luck

Lisa x
remidial meniscemtomy 1994
scope and tidy up july 2006
acl reconstruction and microfractures oct 2006 (failed on both counts)
oats june 2008 - very successful
acl revision patella tendon - oct 09

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 03:36:17 PM »
Yeah, I know 12 weeks is early to know if there is a failure but with a failed MFX that makes me so nervous.  More than anything I just want to know if what I am feeling is normal.  I have a fairly high pain tolerance as well so that concerns me as I am in constant pain.  Never drops below a three on the pain scale.

I guess time will tell.  Thanks.

Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

Offline FMRCathelete

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 5
  • Cats are great recovery companions
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 12:32:58 AM »
I had OATS performed 7/09.  I was back to work at 12 weeks and walking without assistance, pain scale about 2-4 majority of time.  Mine ended up not working out as pain returned about 6-7 months post-op and didn't get better.  OS at that point advised I loose weight (and yes I could stand to loose 20lbs) even though I was at same weight I was before surgery (funny how problem after surgery didn't work).  I had a PFJR last fall, too soon to tell I guess if that is successful.  I was told it was that or remove my patella and I did not feel that was an option.  I was very active up until this knee issue and didn't want to weaken my quad. 

Were you in an immobilizer post-op?  I was for 6 weeks, didn't start PT (except for ROM 2x daily) until after 6 weeks.  I wish you well and hope this is just a bump in the road for you.
Lat release 5/08
OATS 7/09
PJFR 10/10
Scope, plica removal/synovectomy 1/12
Scope, Medial retinacular release and debridement of excess tissues 2/13
Knee Denervation 3/2014

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 12:58:25 AM »
I was in a locked hinged knee brace for 6 weeks.  I could only remove it to shower.  Non weight bearing for 10 weeks.  I am currently only at 50% weight bearing due to pain.  I started PT at the 6 week mark as well.  I go 3xs a week.  My ROM is not bad.  Quad strength is very bad.

Was your only symptom of the failed OATS the pain or did you have other symptoms?

I was a very active person prior to my injury and I know I will never be able to do what I did prior to these surgeries.  I was running 20-40 miles a week plus lifting and playing sports.  I have accepted that I won't have the same intensity in my activity but right now I would take being able to walk without pain.
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

Offline FMRCathelete

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 5
  • Cats are great recovery companions
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 03:41:29 AM »
I had mild swelling and significant pain.  Interestingly, I had a very good period for 3 months (3-4 months out to 7 months out) where my pain level was about 2-3 out of 10 90% of the time -which I could have lived with.  My OS (Fulkerson) told me that it was much more normal for it to fail early, rather than later. Then about 7 months PO started having increasing pain all the time and increased swelling after any activity (I have to stand and walk around for work), which got to be as bad as before the OATS.  By the time I had the PFJR I had difficulty walking any distance without significant pain. 
I too was very active, though not a runner -knee hasn't let me do that since high school track 20 years ago difference was I could run, just had 5-6/10 pain after, unlike now where 1 impactive step would send me through the roof.   I was an avid lifter and used a bike/elliptical/arc trainer for cardio.  I know I will never go back to most of that, but I do hope that some hiking is in my future as I don't think I can mentally prepare myself for life without that. 

Takes a long time to get the quad back, I was doing straight leg lifts at least daily as soon as I could, not sure what your PT recommends.  Good luck and I hope things start to turn around for you.
Lat release 5/08
OATS 7/09
PJFR 10/10
Scope, plica removal/synovectomy 1/12
Scope, Medial retinacular release and debridement of excess tissues 2/13
Knee Denervation 3/2014

Offline lostandhopeles

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 03:01:37 PM »
I had OATS on May 15 2009, left knee 2 plugs. doner sight was from non weight bearing part of my knee. I was non weight bearing for 12 weeks following surgery. I was doing P/T on day 5  I used a cpm for 6 weeks daily 8 to 12 hours. I had thought several times that the procedure failed. Recovery was/is  long and ongoing. i also have the clicking. I was told that the bone from the weight bearing location is put in the NWB hole to grow and strenghten the doner location. As it grows it may grow higher that the knee cap. This will cause the clicking and feel of lockup.
 The first 9 months were the worst at this time. I am a semi driver, climbing in and out of truck and trailer dozens of times a day and was not able to return for almost 1 year. I have been back to work 10 months now. I am feeling the toll now. The pain has returned not nearly as high as it was but worsening. I am also starting to have knee pain in my right knee. I think the 3 months with walker and non weight bearing on left knee are effecting the right. # months hoping on right knee will have a bad effect.
 I had xray on left knee 6 months ago and all looked good.
 6 weeks ago we had a change of operation at work. We statred doing things differantly. Longer hours, more stops, dock work. Following a few weeks my knee was killing me. being stuborn I continued to work. Things have settled down at work and the knee has also settled down.   Good luck

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 05:49:32 AM »
lostandhelpless, thanks for your story.  I work in law enforcement and have yet to go back to work.  I did some light duty between surgeries but have not done much since the accident.  I know my Sgt.s are not happy about me being out but I need to be able to fight for my life or others before I can go back.  I am not sure that I will ever get back to that level of health.  I am sorry that you are still dealing with pain.  It sounds like there will always be a level of pain from now on.  I guess I should just accept that  :P   It's interesting what you say about the doner site as that is where the clicking and popping come from.  It also locks momentarily when I go to straighten it if it has been bent for a period of time.  I am starting to get pain on the original injury site now too but that is a sharp pain not the clicking and popping pain.

Thanks again for your insights and good luck to you.
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

support