Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Advice, Help and New Ideas  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Siearl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Advice, Help and New Ideas
« on: March 10, 2011, 09:29:59 PM »
Hi all,

This is my first post and I wasnt to sure where to put this. I will start at the beginning in order to give the past history. Back in 2002 i had an accident whilst playing football, because i was in the Military i was taken to the on site medical facility where the doctor diagnosed that i had merely twisted my knee. I was sent home on crutches and told to take Ibuprofen. After 10 days when i still couldn't weight bare she referred me to the A&E department who stated that they suspected I had dislocated my knee cap but because of the 10 days apart from physio there was very little they could do.

In 2003 due to still having problems in the March i was referred to an Orthopeadic consultant who sent me for an MRI and at the time there was some damage but not overly anything to be concerned about, i was sent on a months rehabiliation course at a military facility, this seemed to help but never stopped the problem, I then spent the next 5 years struggling with fitness and my knee giving away, it was only in 2008 that i was taken seriously by a doctor and not told I am fat and lazy, i underwent an MRI which showed enough evidence and debris for the consultant to undertake an arthroscopy and what they found was that the patella had a mixture of grade 2-3 damage on the cartledge of the patella and that there was alot of debris removed from the knee cap. I then started to undertake physio, and in the october i started a weeks intensive rehab course, however after on 2 days my knee had swelled to such a size it was deemed unsafe for me to continue, after that i started to undertake local physio and remedial instruction for a PTI this didnt have much affect and in Jan 2009 i had a course of steriod injections in to my knee. By the March this problem was continuing and i was referred back to the consultant, between the march and the Oct of 2009 i had alot of problems with my knee giving out and also becoming very tight. I was then given another arthroscopy in Oct 2009 where they found parts of the patella had no cartledge, I have artritis in the knee and also that there was scoring to the femour from the pateklla scraping, fastforwarding to know i have been trold i waould be a good candidate for a total knee replacement but being 30 they will not do this, life is horrible not being able to walk more than 50 yards, having to use a mobility scooter and also relying on morphine and other drugs, i have come to the stage that my knee is so painful i really dont know what to do, so any helpp i could do with.

thanks for reading this

Offline Siearl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Advice, Help and New Ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 09:35:26 PM »
I thought i best add what medication i am on so you can see how bad it has gotten, I do have a pain management consultant but to be honest we dont seem to see eye to eye as currently he is trying to reinvent the wheel and go through a process that i already have.

Zomorph 40mg twice a day
Severdol 20 Mg which i can take a max of 100MG a day normally i am taking between 40-60 a day
Etoxicorib 60MG Once a day
Amatriplyline 100mg once a day
paracetamol 500mg 4 times a day
capsaicin cream cream 0.075mg 4 times a day

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 10:17:13 PM »
If all of your damage is in the patella area but your lateral and medial compartments are OK, they can usually do a partial knee replacement of just the area that is damaged. You have to get to the right doctor for this to happen, though. You might give a general idea of your geographic area and maybe someone could tell you someone to see and how to get referred there if necessary.

The other part of this is that if your knee is this bad, it doesn't matter how old you are. If it has to be replaced, it has to be replaced. A doctor who expects you to throw away your 30s, 40s, and 50s so that you can finally have a functioning knee when you're 60 or 70 is a very short-sighted doctor. We have to be able to live our lives while we're young too and waiting for an artificial date 30 years in the future while you can't walk and can't exist without heavy medications now is ridiculous and, in my opinion, unethical. By then you've missed way too many opportunities that you can't get back.

I hope you can find a doctor who can help you. You'll find good support here in the mean time. Good luck!
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline Siearl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 09:15:26 AM »
I saw a new consultant in Jan at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Gateshead Tyne & Wear havinbg obviously relocated after being discharged from the Air Force, and it really is like banging your head of a brick wall to get the response of take the tablets and smile as you can imagine is not helpful so now i just go with no expectations. The problem that is arising now however is the new consultant suspects i am starting to obtain ligament damage due to the state my knee is in.

I certainly know what you are saying about unethical i was living down in buckinghashire and under a consultant at the Nuffield Orthopeadic hospital in Oxford and after the second artoscopy in Oct ddidnt do anything i started to question them about the knee replacement full or partial route which they said they would consider after being fobbed off 5 times during appointments I made an official complaint and guess what i was discharged from their care.

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 05:09:06 PM »
Hopefully someone here from your area could give you an idea of other doctors to see and how to work through your system. I'm in the U.S., so I don't have a clue! You might also post on the patella forum that you are looking for a patella expert in your area. They seem to know where to find the good docs. Don't give up! Good luck!
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline MUMofpain

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 05:46:29 PM »
Hi. Sorry to read about your situation.

New ideas... I am in the UK also, could you see your local MP? They normally run 'clinics' in local libraries and he/she might be able to do something for you, get you in the right direction as they have a duty of care for you and at the end of the day they are in their jobs to serve you, the public.

You could get your story in a local newspaper? 

What about your GP?  Mine is useless but yours might be ok and actually help you.

Have you just turned up at A&E saying you are in agony? I ended up doing this for my son's injury and within 2 days we found ourselves before one of the top ACLr surgeons in our neck of the woods, after 1 nurse and 3 doctors having wongly diagnoised him.

If I can think of anymore things 'outside of the box' I'll get back.
27th September 2010 - Tore acl at football
12th January 2011 - ACL reconstruction (Hamstring)

Offline Siearl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 10:24:20 AM »
Thanks mumofpain, i never thought about my local MP, the problem i had was when i got medically discharged from the RAF in dec last year through my knee, i left behind what i can only describe as one of the best doctors i have ever come across, and of course now i am registered with a local GP every appointment i have had has been with different people as they just seem to use locums.

A&E have not been any help i have been there a few times after my knee has gave out and i have either hit the floor hard or i have broken something, the last time was a few weeks ago when i feel in the bedroom and managed to smash the bedroom chair we had literally just had delieved and through another fall i managed to rip the either the tendons or the muscle from the bone in my right elbow as i tried to grab something to stop the fall. All they say about my knee is i am under a consultant already and on top of that i have better pain relief than they could administer not much help epescially as on Thursday night i was in tears due to the pain and have hardly been able to move for the last 3 days.

I will have a look at the patella forum as have only just joined this site in the hope of something or a different approach.

Si

Offline MUMofpain

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 12:27:57 PM »
Why not change your GP. I would search out the best one in my area (recommmendations are good to start off with,  ask neighbours,friends etc) and get booked in with the most senior person there. (and book a double appointment so that you are not rushed and can actually get to say all you need to). :-\

I very much hope someone with the same experience can advise you further on the other part of the forum.
27th September 2010 - Tore acl at football
12th January 2011 - ACL reconstruction (Hamstring)