Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella tension band  (Read 605 times)

Offline dj_sanford

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patella tension band
« on: March 10, 2011, 01:32:57 PM »
Hi everyone. I am 22years old, I was recently in a major head on collision (about 5 weeks ago). I have a broken Femur and a shattered Patella. The seurgeon insterted an IM Rod in my femur and used the Tension Band for my kneecap which was broken into 5 pieces. My recovery has been slow in my opinion but I have been going to physio 5 days a week for the last 3 1/2 weeks. Pain is moderate, i take gabapentin and tylenol 3. I am down to using one crutch and i can bend my knee activley about 110-120 degrees.

I have a few concerns:
- i feel like i can feel hardware in my knee if i push on a certain spot when i use my quads while sitting to lift my foot from the ground to a straight out position, it feels life a grinding/clicking and it hurts a bit.
- my suergeon has already told me that the chances of having to go back in and remove hardware is high about 80-90 percent of people have to get it removed. What kind of recovery is involved with this?
- what are some things i might need to worry about when i get older and how do i prevent them.
- is it normal to still feel pain in my leg/knee/hip.
 ps. i also have a herniated disc at the L5 S1 from a previous injury.

I hope someone can help with this, if you need/want anymore info just ask.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 01:35:43 PM by dj_sanford »

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
Re: Patella tension band
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 02:32:30 PM »
dj.
Sorry to hear about the missfortune. No I don't think you are behind in your recovery.  You are talking 2 very serious injuries here.
You need to look down the board to bone breaks and fractures around the knee. They can give you a better idea of what you are in for. That is where all the folks with your types of injuries hang out.
Take care,
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
06/09 Patella mal-alignment grade 3/4 chondromalasia both knees, PFS
09/11/09 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupRK
10/02/11 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupLK
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Scope LK,/RK HW removed 28/06/12
Chin up keep hobbling!