Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: LARS ACL Reconstruction?  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Richo75

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
LARS ACL Reconstruction?
« on: March 10, 2011, 11:24:34 AM »
Hi All,
I am a 40yr old male who recently ruptured his (R) ACL for a 3rd time (God damn you Aussie Rules) so I have used both my hamstring tendons (Right Knee Recons) and a Patella tendon (Left Knee Recon) already. I am not keen to have a patella knee reconstruction (again) due to the slow recovery, the pain post op and the "after effects" I am still suffering from the first one. So it looks like my choice is limited to LARS or LARS!

I am interested in reading about anyone's personal experience with LARS reconstructions and what you think the failure rate would be for someone who has (now) retired from all sports? Do you think the fact that I am 40 and not actively playing sports anymore will increase my chances of no failures down the track?

Look forward to all replies.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 11:26:47 AM by Richo75 »

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: LARS ACL Reconstruction?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 03:42:28 PM »
Ack - three ACL ruptures? That's too bad - poor knee.

If you check the post-op diaries section, there are a couple of recent LARS threads that should make interesting reading:

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=52243.0
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=50989.0

Shelli (LARSknee) had her reconstruction around the same time as mine, so I was following her thread quite closely - I have to say that she had a much easier recovery than I did! There are some great tips on there for how to manage the aftermath of a LARS surgery.

If you're not participating in active sports I would imagine the risk of a future failure is quite low, but of course the big unknown with LARS is the lack of long-term data on outcomes (it's a relatively new technique, so the early LARS patients haven't reached the 10-year mark yet). However, the early results certainly seem to be good. There are some interesting studies out there that look at LARS cases up to five years out, so it's worth doing a bit of googling on the topic if you haven't already.

You may also want to talk to some of the folk on the board like kaputt_knee and clarky_vl who have been through multiple ACL reconstructions. They may be able to offer some good advice on having a third reconstruction.

Hope this helps - good luck!
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Richo75

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 04:36:56 AM »
Thanks Snowy!  :)  Will keep you posted on how I go.

Offline Richo75

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 02:57:40 PM »
Thanks Snowy!  :)  Will keep you posted on how I go.

Well hello again everyone!

I had my LARS Knee reconstruction from Dr Anthony Kwa on the 25th of May 2011.

The surgeon was very happy with how things went and I was when I was walking on my own (without crutches) 3 days later but I have since discovered a few issues so i was wondering if anyone who has had a LARS knee recon can comment on them.

My main issue at the moment is I am 2 weeks post surgery and I can only bend my knee to 90deg!
It seems the hole made in the quad muscle to attach the top of the LARS has formed quite a hard knot which restricts me from bending my knee.  My first Physio visit I could only get it to 45deg, the next one 4 days later I was at 70deg and now 2 weeks post op I have managed to get it to 90deg

Am I worried about nothing?  Is this a common problem? Or am I tracking OK?

Any and all replies would be appreciated.

Regards

Paul

Offline Richo75

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 10:37:56 AM »
Can anyone out there help?