Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: High Tibial Osteotomy or Half Knee Replacement??  (Read 860 times)

Contractorarsenal

High Tibial Osteotomy or Half Knee Replacement??
« on: March 10, 2011, 09:42:56 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I've had two medial miniscus cartilage operations on my left knee in under a year.
I was told that the knee had partially collapsed due to the amount of cartilage removed. This has left the ligaments loose which has resulted in another cartilage tear.
I'm seeing a different consultant on the NHS (not my choice) and he has offered me aigh tibial osteotomy or half knee replacement.
I'm currently using a brace whilst trying to decide what I want.

My problem is that I'm an active 52 year old that dances, skis, plays golf and does alot of hill walking. Shortly before my first cartilage operation Itook part in two Triathalons.

I would like to carry on with the above but appreciate the triathalons might be beyond me now.

Can anyon give me advice on what my limitations will be with the two operations and how will the above activities affect the life span of the procedure.

Many thanks

Mike

Offline kevin3004

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: High Tibial Osteotomy or Half Knee Replacement??
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 02:52:57 PM »
Hi Mike sorry to bother you but I've just traced your posting on this website. I'm 54 years old and like you have been very active and my OS has just offered me the same as you either a high tibial osteotomy or half knee replacement. Would you mind sharing with me what your decision was or is going to be.
Thanks
Kevin

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 404
  • Neelie knee!
Re: High Tibial Osteotomy or Half Knee Replacement??
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 03:53:10 PM »
This chap has a post-op diary running, having had his HTO
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

support