Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 2nd opinion appt. tomorrow morning  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Cindy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
2nd opinion appt. tomorrow morning
« on: November 03, 2003, 03:35:40 AM »
Hi again.  I just recently started posting here but I wanted to let you all know that I have my 2nd opinion appointment tomorrow morning.  After reading almost all 48 pages of this message board and doing tons and tons of research, I am 95% sure that I have a torn meniscus.  Regardless of wether that is the actual diagnosis or not I (think) I have decided to tell (or suggest) to the OS that we do an exploratory scope.  I feel that being in pain since I was 16 (I'm now 35) has been long enough.  I've tried sooooo many things and nothing works.....I think it is the appropriate next step.  Am I making the right decission or not--I'm so worried...

Thanks for listening,
Cindy

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
Re: 2nd opinion appt. tomorrow morning
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2003, 04:22:33 AM »
Cindy,

I am not sure if you mean you may have had a torn meniscus since you were 16, but WOW!  I would wait to see what the OS suggests. Any kind of surgical intervention is very traumatizing to the knee joint and should not be entered into lightly as I'm sure you are well aware. You lose some with each surgery, at least that was my case. Let your OS do a full examine...Xrays, MRI, etc. and then see what s/he suggests.

What did your first opinion come up with? If you posted it, I must have missed it, sorry. It was a good thing that you read through this board. So much information, huh? I find it better to go into these appointments knowing as much as you can. It helps a lot in understanding the OS and also with asking questions. Remember that you know your knee best. If you are not happy with an opinion by this OS go after a 3rd opinion! I have been through many doctors and it was well worth finding one that actually cared about my pain! Wishing you tons of luck. Please post back and let us know what happens.

Heather
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 04:52:45 PM »
Hey Cindy !!
Did you have any injury when you were 16 ? I felt so surprized when I saw that you've had this problems for so long and haven't got an examination yet. Didn't your first appointment give any resultates ? Well although it's good for you that you've taken this decision to get help. And you don't be afraid, these doc's have done so many surgeries and examinations that I'm sure you are in good hands. I've been doing 6 surgeries in my knee and also backsurgery and I've been pretty nervous every time, but I'm doing fine. We are a whole bunch here with years of experience from surgeries and different kinds of exam. and treatment. If you need any advice or support you know where to find us.
Wish you the best.

hugs nettan
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 05:28:19 AM »
Good luck tomorrow. It's your knee, and you've been in pain long enough to deserve some answers--so be aggressive in the questioning.

LizL

PS: I'm hoping to take my own advice Nov. 12, as I have a second opinion appointment on that day.
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March

Offline neil

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 07:37:17 AM »
 Always get as many opinions as possible, and never come up with a diagnosis from this or any board. As much as we like to think we know our situation, none of us are doctors and none of us have examined you. symptoms can be similar for many tings and the internet has become a doctors worse nightmare, as many patients walk in to their doctors office believing they know what they have or may have. Allow the professionals make the decisions, as when i first started coming to this site, there were more regular pposters offering words of encouragement and trying to lift each others spirits as we went thru our recovery or worris froma pending operation. Now there are less of them and more who seem to have become educated thru web sites and that can mislead someone and prolong ones well being. If your insurance covers it, go to as many ortho's as you need to to feel comfortable with what they think may be your issue. Remember we are all differntand my knee issues may mirror some others but no 2 are identical. good luck and best wishes.
9-13-02 - present, 4 surgeries to right knee. quad severed, piece of femoral condyle cut off, shaving of patella. had cartilage implant 9-22-03, fluid drain, cultures & manipulation10-21-03

support