Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Microfracture & shmidtz  (Read 2592 times)

Offline maddo1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Microfracture & shmidtz
« on: March 08, 2011, 02:40:58 PM »
Hi, Not sure if anyone can help me but its worth taking a shot. I have shmidtz which is a type of dwarfism that effects the long bones (legs), It causes bowing of the tib/fib. Because of the bowing the cartlidge in my right knee disintergrated and caused a hole 10mm by 11mm. I had a microfracture on Thursday of last week and have been told to be nwb for 6 weeks, this is where the problems start :(. The first two days on the crutches were not too bad the usual aches and pains of muscles not used for a while but as I am putting more weight through my left leg that one went last night with an almighty crack and grind :o. I can't afford to have the left knee kerjiggerd. Is there anyone who has had a MF and gone on to PWB after a short while with some results? I can't walk on the crutches at all today as the left knee won't take it. At physio tomorrow was thinking of asking for a wheelchair but pretty sure you have to be assessed first (red cross turned me down due to slipped disk) which takes approx 6wks. Hope somebody can help as it's now pretty painful :'(.

Thanks in advance
Jules

Offline maddo1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Microfracture & shmidtz
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 11:44:43 AM »
 ??? 29 views  ???

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 05:15:27 PM »
Call and talk to your os. It is going to depend on the exact location of the defect as the clot that forms after the MF is very delicate.

It also may be possible for your os to arrange for the necessary equipment to make this NWB period more comfortable.
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline Jill M

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 09:27:54 PM »
maddo1,
Usually the OS has specific instruction for NWB for adequate healing.
As KW said I would contact you OS and tell them of the pain you are experiencing with your other knee and you need a w/c for mobility. If the MD writes a presciption or certifies a need for the equipment then hopefullly you will be able to get it
8/07 Right subtotal meniscectomy
4/08 Chronic meniscus tear, grade 4 changes
10/08- R distal femoral osteotomy, lateral meniscal transplant, tibia microfracture, osteochondral allograft femur
12/08- AF noted, LOA
2/09- MUA
8/09- extensive LOA, patella baja
1/20/11- TKR

Offline maddo1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 07:40:00 AM »
Thank you for replying, spoke to os and its a no go for a wc  :'( unfortunatly you need to have an assesment which takes upto 6 weeks so I will be off the devil sticks by then. My other knee is the damage is done now it is so painful so looks like more surgery ahead. I knew having MCDS (short abr for my condition ) would cause damage eventually because of the bowing in the tib/fib but never expected it at such a young age (38) oh well keep calm and carry on I suppose ::)

Offline Jill M

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 12:28:31 AM »
Maddo1,
Sorry to hear that you were not able to get a w/c. I live in the US so if a MD writes a script most insurances will pay or rent one for you for a period of time.
I hope that the pain eases up for you as you recover.
8/07 Right subtotal meniscectomy
4/08 Chronic meniscus tear, grade 4 changes
10/08- R distal femoral osteotomy, lateral meniscal transplant, tibia microfracture, osteochondral allograft femur
12/08- AF noted, LOA
2/09- MUA
8/09- extensive LOA, patella baja
1/20/11- TKR

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 07:40:30 AM »
Wish you had lived in Sweden. Here you can rent a wheelchair without the need of a script for about $100 for a month.
Take care of you. Hope you're rehab goes smoothly and that the surgery is a success. Remember that it's slow going after a microfracture and you will probably endure setbacks. So be prepared for a long go. /Nettan
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 08:34:51 AM »
Maddo1

you can rent them from an orthopaedic supplier for a relatively small monthly fee in the UK (and most European countries). I'm assuming that is where you are from some of the comments you made. Sorry if I'm wrong but it probably applies where ever you are. I could have done the same here in Germany if I had needed it.

I just rang up my nearest one and it was delivered to my house. I was in it for 3 months. They supplied an extended leg rest for my injured leg as I could no bend the knee (huge hip to toe plaster of Paris cast!). We returned it when I was out of the cast, but would have picked it up as well. They only asked for my height and weight as well as details of my injury and mobility needs - all done on the phone as I remember.

Sue  ;)

1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 06:38:22 PM »
I used a plain office desk chair with wheels on it to get around the house most of the time after my microfracture.  If you put weight on it too soon it will ruin the supper clot that is now forming in your joint.  I know being NWB is a HUGE HUGE HUGE pain and really difficult but if you put weight on it too soon the surgery will have been for nothing and you'll be right back in the same boat you were in to begin with.  I would talk to your OS about your concerns and also your PT. 

support