Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Any Advice Please?  (Read 2217 times)

Offline claire31

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Any Advice Please?
« on: March 05, 2011, 01:16:15 PM »

So here's my knee story - I injured my knee whilst skiing on 18th January. All the normal stuff, I got taken down the mountain, the doctors in France were great, but since I have got back to the UK it all seems incredibly slow.

Two weeks ago after an MRI I was diagnosed with a ruptured ACL and damaged meniscus, since then I have been doing physio and learning how to use my leg again on the promise of a a reconstruction, but now I have seen someone different at the hospital who has given me the impression that he would not be doing surgery on me and just wanted to see me in 6 weeks time!

I feel really distraught about this and as if I am back to square one. I don't know what I can do about it. I really try hard with my physio, but my motivation is now crushed. I am an active person and I want to go back to all the things I love, or even just walking! What should I do? I'm considering borrowing money and paying for private treatment just so I can have an idea about what my treatment is.

Any advice or comments gratefully received!

Claire

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • PCL recovery blog
Re: Any Advice Please?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 01:54:02 PM »
Did he give you any reason why he wouldn't be doing surgery? The surgery usually doesn't happen right after the injury, they want you to be strong and have your range of motion back before doing surgery. I'm sorry you're upset, but keep your chin up. It's still important to work hard in PT, because no matter what you decide to do, you need to have a strong leg. Also, did the MRI show a complete rupture? I believe surgery is only indicated for complete ruptures. But in the interim, even though it's hard, keep working hard in therapy, because no matter what is decided, even if you get surgery, you will need a strong knee going in, and if you don't get surgery, you will need a strong knee to compensate.
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/

Offline claire31

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 02:56:10 PM »
Thanks Soozles

You're right, I need to keep my chin up! By the sounds of lots of the posts on here, knee injuries take a long time to get sorted sometimes.

In answer to your question, the surgeon didn't say that he wouldn't be doing surgery, but he gave me that impression as he said that some people don't need surgery and can manage without an ACL. I argued a little bit and said that I am active and I don't want the risk of my knee collapsing, but he just seemed to shrug this off. Having done some research on the internet - I think he is trying to take me down the route of seeing if I can manage without surgery. It did cross my mind that it is nearing the financial year, so it might be a budget thing.

At my last appointment the physio showed me my MRI scan and showed me where my ACL should be, you could see the PCL quite clearly, but the ACL looked like it had been rubbed out, so I know I definatley haven't got one. Also, my friend is a trainee doctor at the hospital, so she double checked the scan for me!

Thanks for your advice about physio, I'll keep it up, i've got another physio appointment next Tuesday and they have lined up a student to work with me for an hour to go through all the excercises so should be good.  :)

Claire

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 08:07:40 PM »
Claire I am also in the UK and when my acl rupture was first diagnosed I was told that because of my age forty something ;)and the fact that I was not into any extreme sport then I should be fine without my acl, but the fact that the knee was getting increasingly unstable the Docs decided to go ahead with the reconstruction, but from the diagnosis to reconstruction took 7 months, my advice to you is work hard at physio and keep going back to your OS and make sure they know how its affecting your life even if you have to lay it on thick, it will be worth it to get back to the activities you enjoy with 2 working knees that wont let you down, also try and keep your spirits up, there are lots of lovely people who post on this forum and they have helped me through a very hard time with their support and understanding, just ask for help or advice and there will be someone there to make you feel better.
Good luck with everyting take care Tez     
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline claire31

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 12:48:54 PM »
Hi Tez

Thanks for your advice, you're right, I need to keep on at my OS, I did think this might happen so at my appointment a couple of weeks ago, I kept saying, I'm only just 31 and I'm really active and got the OS to say that I was a candidate for surgery, but the other day I saw a different OS who seemed to have a different view. I'm going to email my original OS and ask to meet with him to talk about it. Failing that I think I am going to pay to go private with the original OS. Surely they can't refuse to reconstruct my ACL if I pay for it.

I do feel better today thanks to everyone's help on here, it really is a fantastic resource, I know people like you that are on here really understand as you have experienced it for yourself.

Thank you!

Claire

Offline claire31

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 09:05:39 PM »
Hi folks

Just to let you know, I pestered my OS by email and he responded yesterday saying he had put me on his waiting list for ACL reconstruction - RESULT! I'm really happy and extra motivated to do my excercises so I am in tip top condition for my op.

Thanks again for your advice and kind words when I was feeling really down.

Claire  :D :D

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 02:42:26 AM »
Claire thats excellent news I'm happy for you, just shows sometimes you have to be a bit pushy when it comes to whats best for yourself, I hope the waiting list isn't too long and you get your op asap.
Take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Foxy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 09:15:38 AM »
Quite true. You have to be pushy. They're so snowed under and because it all costs, if they can push you out the door, they will. Unfortunately, it's only going to get worse. I eventually had my surgery done with an organisation called Bennenden. I had been paying into it since about 2000 and this was the first time I had used it. Only costs about £7 a month and got the surgery done within 2 months. With the NHS I'd still be on the list 8 months down the line. Lord knows what state my knee would have been in. Make sure you badge and pester the waiting list people. Lay it on thick. Good luck.

Offline claire31

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 04:14:11 PM »
Thanks folks, I'll make sure I lay it on thick  ;) If the waiting list is too long I'll probably stump up the cash for the gourgeous hospital round the corner from me, but at least I have a plan A and a plan B now.

Good luck with your knees!

Claire  :)

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 06:10:52 PM »
Glad to hear this, and best of luck! We'll all be here if you have any questions about what to expect from surgery and recovery. :) Do you know what kind of graft you'll be getting?
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline claire31

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 12:12:26 PM »
Thanks Snowy, it's always great to get advice from people that are on here - real people that have been through it themselves. I don't know what type of graft i'll get, so I'll have to ask my surgeon when I see him in about a month

At the moment I am working hard at bending my knee - I was in a splint for nearly  5 weeks post injury before diagnosis so my knee needs encouragement to bend and my thigh has wasted away. I've been having electric therapy on my thigh to stimulate the muscle with really great results, the first time I could only twitch the muscle and after the therapy I was able to engage the muscle and hold it for about a second or so. Amazing! Yesterday my physio got me on a bike, I can only do half a pedal, but I find it really great for easing my muscle into working.

I'll keep plodding, or should I say crutching along!  :)

Claire

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 02:20:44 PM »
If you can persuade them that the injury is seriously impacting on your work and home life, rather than your recreational activities, they are much more pro-active. Lay it on thick about the swelling at the end of a day and the lack of sleep due to swelling and pain. This can lead to other health issues, so they are looking at the quality of your day to day life in that sense.

Another thing is to happily volunteer to go on the cancellation list. This means you can sometimes jump a very big queue. I had to postpone one of my recons so that I could guide my students through their GCSEs and A Levels. I got to pick my date and some other lucky so and so got my previous date 6 months earlier.

Sue  ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline claire31

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 11:34:44 AM »
Thanks Sue,

More great advice, I will ask him about the cancelation list and make sure I explain how it is impacting on my life, good idea.

This is such a great forum.

Offline MUMofpain

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 01:44:10 PM »
Hi Claire31.† Sorry to read about your situation.

We are in the UK.† My son tore his acl on 27th September last year.† By mid-November he was on the nhs list for his op and the earliest date was Feb this year, which meant 3 months in pain, taking mediation, discomfort on crutches at school.†

I rang the OS's secretary on a number of occassions and she said she would call me if there was a cancellation.†

Rang again, on the off chance, after picking my son up from school on a day when he was in so much pain I did not know what to do. This was on a Monday, someone had cancelled their op on Wednesday and she was 'ringing round' to try and fill the space† ???- ie. HAD NOT KEPT A RECORD OF MY CALLS!!

Just to say if you do go on a cancellation list call regularly as well :) :) :) :) :)

Cut a long story short, he had his op 4 weeks earlier which has made a huge difference to his general well being. Wishing you all the best.
27th September 2010 - Tore acl at football
12th January 2011 - ACL reconstruction (Hamstring)

Offline claire31

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 08:04:56 PM »
Hi Mumofpain

It must be so hard as a mum to see your son in pain and not be able to fix it, I really feel for you. I'm glad he has had his op now and is on the mend.

I've been quite lucky I think as I haven't experienced too much pain, (yet!). I take your point about the NHS - it all seems very dis-jointed to me, i'm not surprsied that the PA didn't keep a record of your many calls, to be honest I was surprised to even get a response to my email!

Wishing your son a speedy recovery