Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PFR-Knee pain-Who has had this?  (Read 147604 times)

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
Re: PFR-Knee pain-Who has had this?
« Reply #630 on: February 23, 2019, 11:08:48 PM »
Hello everybody,
I started a running blog.  If you would like to follow me this is my link:

https://takingit1stepatatime.wordpress.com

This past year, and especially since December, has been trying.  I have been on 19 different medications, 4 diets, tried Several other options (homeopathic).  Nothing worked.  I have Crohn's with horrific IBD (no more details), Barrett's esophagus with insane acid reflux (I sleep sitting up.  Now the acid is hitting my vocal cords even though I am not lying down.  I keep loosing my voice.). On top of this I have a mass in one area in my chest (not cancer... enlarged lymph nodes).  This has been acting up recently.  Not fun.
So today with everything going on internally I went out for a run.  To my surprise I got in 8 miles.  Still not feeling good, but better than before.
Take care and talk with you soon,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #631 on: November 19, 2019, 02:48:21 AM »
Hello everybody,
Sorry I have not posted in forever.  I have been running and walking a lot.  I did my first 50 mile race and a month later my first 100k.  I have been looking for my first 100 mile race.
Along with this I got into training and coaching other runners.
What I did not know is that I have been running and walking with Barrett's esophagus and Crohn's disease.  So it looks like most of my knee issues were from my Crohn's disease.  Who would have known.
Currently I am on a break from running, walking, and exercising.  Doctors ordered me to stop until I get my Crohn's under control.  More issues than I would like to talk about.
I hope you are doing well.

Take care,
Mr.F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #632 on: December 17, 2019, 12:07:24 PM »
Hello everybody,
It's been about a month and I am still on injured reserved.  No running not walking.  I am on a new medication.  It has lessened the abdominal, intestinal, pain.  I am still dealing with horrific acid reflux.
I started recovery yoga.  I enjoy it.  I need to find a center or studio near where I live. 
It is amazing to hear people, doctors, family and friends say "your identity is tied to your running." Basically saying without running I have nothing.  Running is a part of my life.  When I started running I prepared myself to have it taken from me.  Just like martial arts, basketball, soccer, and baseball.
You see with a genetic disease (what I thought were knee issues, which ended up an autoimmune disease) everytime you start becoming physically active it is taken from you.  You learn you are more than the activity.  You adapt and change what you do.  It's a part of you, not your identity.
If I have to give up running I have already come to terms with this.  If all I can do is walk.  O have come to terms with this.  If I can never race again I have crossed over 140 finish lines (from 5k to 100k), finished every race I started, placed in my age group, and placed in my division in every race that recognized my division. 
I have over 5 years of incredible, amazing, and life changing experiences that can not be taken from me.
At 13 I started to experience medical issues.  At 14 I was told I would never run in my lifetime.  At 15 I had my first of 8 operations.  At 35 both knees were replaced.  At 41 one knee revised.  At 43 the other knee revised.  I started my running and walking journey at 44.  I love every second.  I would not change a thing.
This sport has brought me closer to my wife and kid.  The quality time, conversations, runcations, run dates, and experiences with family has been amazing.
The friends I made, and make, the connection with different running communities, the new family I have, and the support has (and have) been life changing.
The ambassador programs that took me on and support me is phenomenal.  I am part of multiple groups.  Recently I was accepted into the inaugural Chronically Badass AmBADASSor group (about 15 athletes).  All of us have genetic limitations, but we keep participating in mainstream sports.  It is an honor to be part of this group.
As you read this you might think that I am giving up.  No, the exact opposite is true.  In 2020 I have 2 goals for myself.  1)Run, walk, crawl, etc. the Jack Bristol 100k (I have completed the 50k and 50 mile races).  2)Walk/Run my first 100 mile race (looking into several multiday races.  This way I can walk and take needed breaks.
Along with this I want to continue training new runners and helping other athletes obtain their running goals.
I have no idea what my running future holds.  It is part of my life, and part of me.  It is not my identity.
Hopefully you can get out and crush some miles for me.  Remember do work- get results.
Take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #633 on: December 29, 2019, 12:50:29 AM »
Hello everybody,
I hope you had, have, a happy holiday (s).  We had a relaxing holidays.  No traveling, no extended family, and our teen spent Christmas with their girlfriend.  Our teen just celebrated their birthday (girlfriend is spending time with us).
As for me I am starting to feel better.  The low dose Narcan is working.  I am still on the bland, no seasoning, no sugar and low fiber diet (no caffeine, soda, carbonated beverages, alcohol, coffee, or dairy).  I am starting to gain some weight and remain hydrated.
Last week I saw one of my doctors and was given the ok to walk a mile on New Year's day.  I am thrilled to be able to do this.
On a different note I was reading about everyone's accomplishments in 2019.  So I started looking at my milage.  Since I changed watches in May I had to work off of two different running apps.  From January through early May I ran and walked over 1,117 miles.  From Mid May until the end of October (that is when I stopped walking and running) I walked and ran over 977 miles.  As of October 31 I walked and ran 2095 miles.  If you add the miles from work and daily life, I will be close to 2225 miles.  This is more miles than I thought I would have.
Other than this I have been using my time off to relax and recover.  I hope you are having a relaxing weekend.  Go out and crush those miles.
Take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #634 on: January 25, 2020, 10:45:35 AM »
Hello everybody,
100...to you it's just a number.  To me it's 14x7+2.  I know it still means nothing to you.  To me it's hitting tripple digits.  To you it's nothing.  To me it's getting my life back. 
In mid October internally everything went to hell.  You would never know this.  You could not see, nor feel, what I was going through. Crohn's and Barrett's was at war and the battle fields were my GI tract and stomach.  It felt like I was digesting my own stomach.  Also I felt like I needed to rip open my abdominal area to elivate the pain and bloating.  I could not sleep, waking up to horrific acid reflux.  I went through 20 some odd medications (over a 2 year period) that only left me with unthinkable side effects.  I tried 5 different diets, with no success.  I was loosing weight and feeling worse.
I almost gave in.  I almost gave up.  I found a light.  Working with my chiropractor and a natural path I found my path to recovery.  With a combination of bimonthly chiropractic visits and low dose Narcan I am on the road to recovery.  I have gained weight and the war in my GI tract and stomach is almost gone.
Now I have to continue with my plan and let my body recovery.  On Saturday it makes 100 days since my last run.  To you this is no big deal.  To me it's a hundred days of sacrifice.  It's the price I am willing to happily pay to be able to run again. 
So next time you complain about having to run or going out for a run, there are those who have autoimmune diseases who would give up anything (like 100 days) to be able to do what you are complaining about.
Looking forward to seeing you on the roads are trails.
My knees are feeling ok.  Nothing new.
Take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #635 on: March 25, 2020, 02:10:03 AM »
Hello everybody,
So I have been dealing with Crohn's disease and Barrett's esophagus issues for years (more like over 3 decades...when I think back about my life).  Over the past 2 years, and more specifically since February 2019 my condition got much worse.  I did not know the warning signs.  In October 2019 I had to give up all forms of exercising.  No walking was the worse.
I started to see a natural path.  I got on a Crohn's friendly diet and was given LDN (low dose Narcan).  It is a life saver.  (Since there are way too many forms, and causes, of Crohn's doctors are not sure why LDN works for some people and not for others). l am one of the lucky ones.
Because of my internal battles I took a 5 month hiatus from running and walking.  Today was my first time running 10 miles in over 5 months.
Throughout this journey I am remaining positive, researching about my medical conditions, and learning.  I finally discovered why I needed knee surgeries.  I did not know Crohn's disease can cause arthritis in bones.  The number one joint it attacks are knees.  So when my orthopedic told me my knees were caused by genetics, and most likely from my mother's side of the family, he was correct.  He just did not know how I ended up like that.
My mother has Celiac's (she found out this past year).
This explains so much.  Learning about Crohn's explains a lot about my life.
So now that I know the warning signs I can plan my walks and runs better.  I now when things are good or going downhill fast.
With my health improving I am not playing tour de port-a-potty everytime I run.  It is amazing to run 10 miles and not having to stop 4-8 times.
On a positive note since I was sidelined I did not sign up for races.  So I am not facing either differ to next year (and pay more money) or donate your entry fees to the race.
I did sign up for 1 race in 2020.  It's a free race.  And it's a 100 mile ultra (in July).  If it gets cancelled I will hopefully run it in 2021.
I was going to take a leave during this year (at work).  Well the virus took care of that.  I do not need to use a sick day (I am a teacher).  We are going to virtual learning.  Training starts soon.  This will be interesting.
I hope all is well with you. 
Take care,
Mr. F