Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PFR-Knee pain-Who has had this?  (Read 138811 times)

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
Re: PFR-Knee pain-Who has had this?
« Reply #585 on: August 19, 2016, 12:09:00 PM »
Hello everybody,
Well I have not been able to run, or walk, much in the past couple of weeks.  Work, and work related, issues have been coming up and I have not had the time.  On top of this the weather here had been intense (in the 90s with a heat index of over 100 degrees).  The time off has been well needed.  It has given my body time to rest. 
I will be venturing out early Saturday morning to run with my local running group (the Glastonbury River Runners).  I am not sure if I will run/interval 5 or 7 miles.  On Sunday my son and I are taking part in the first Run for Hope and Possibilities (sponsored by Achilles International).  This race benefits our local disabled athletes and is huge fundraiser.  I am thrilled to be one of the disabled athletes taking part in this event.  My son and me will be running in the 5k.
Other than this nothing exciting and new here.
Take care and enjoy your weekend,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #586 on: August 21, 2016, 12:59:42 AM »
Hello everybody,
My alarm clock went off at 5:00am.  I hit the snooze and pondered if I should run or not this morning.  It has been several weeks since I ran with my local running group.  I got myself out of bed, checked the weather, and are breakfast.  I forced myself to get dressed and headed ou.  Our run was not going to occur in Glastonbury.  We would meet up at the office where one of the members worked (in a neighboring town). 
After the not so good run in New London, the rocks in New Hampshire, and the 11 plus miles of walking last week I have been thinking that I am pushing myself too much.  I took a break this week.  Along with this needed break I lost some of my motivation to get out and walk, run, and/or interval. 
I arrived at the office around 5 minutes before the run.  I noticed 2 other cars.  Wow 3 people would be running today, I thought to myself.  I laced up my running shoes and got out of the car.  At this point 2 more cars pulled in.  Everyone was getting out of their cars and walking over to the area I was standing.  We ended up with 8 runners.
I started to stretch and warm up.  Others started to stretch.  We had a choice 3.1, 5, 7.3 or 10 miles.  Since I was not going to push my distance nor pace I went with the 5 mile run.  Before the run I was aiming of a 10:00 per mile pace.  I wanted a nice and relaxing run.  This was the first time I was in this area and man was I in for a surprise.
I looked at my phone as we headed out 6:40am.  We walked over to the main road and took a left.  We all started to run.  As I said I did not want to push the pace today.  The two people running 10 miles took off.  I was going slow.  I was listening to the person who put the courses together.  He said there were 2 hills on the main road and after the second hill we would be making a left.  (This path follows the lake).  We first hill and people are complaining.  I slow down and climb.  Running up the hill with no problem.  Then we get to run down the hill.  (I did not know, but at this point I start to breakaway from the group).
There are two of us running together at this point (yes the 2 people running 10 miles are still in front of me).  We made a left and they kept running forward.  We are going to follow the lake.  It was some beautiful scenery.  We are making our turns, running by the lake, and then we hit the hill.  The hill reminds me of Colchester or The King of Pain.  It is a sharp incline.  As you run it keeps going up and has some turns.  We climb this with no problems.  We make a left and have some downhill areas (along with more lakefront views).
As we are running I can hear my friend panting and gulping air.  I am thinking this is strange.  He normally runs faster than me and I am not winded.  At some point (I have no idea how far into the run we are because my GPS is not working).  He breaks off to the right.  He had work to do so he has to get back home.  I make a left and start climbing up the hill.  As I get to the apex I am thinking this is redicilous.  It is humid, there are hills everywhere, and I have no salt stick.  Wait a minute, I might have some left over from Bristol.  I check my water container (zipper area).  I find 2 salt stick left.  I take one, gulp down some water, and turn right,
I am on another road.  I can see more up hills areas.  I climb one hill, then another, and the humidity is taking its hold on me.  I am dripping wet with sweat.  I make a right turn and have to walk.  I start gulping down more water.  I have no idea how fast I am walking.  My goal is to maintain a steady pace.  I am feeling better so I take off running.
I have 3 more turns.  I hit an intersection.  I am down to 2 more turns. I see a person walking a dog and use this guy as motivation.  I am trying to pass him before my next turn.  I am catching up to them.  As I determine where I am going to pass them they turn right (down a private road).  I keep my pace going and can see a stop sign.  My final right.  One more turn and I am home.
Since this is my first time running in this area I have no idea how far I have to run.  I am preparing myself for one more mile.   I run several steps and see the street name.  This is where I have to take a left.  Wow that was close.  I run down the street and into the parking lot.  I look at my phone and can not believe my eyes.
When I arrived I wanted to run 10 minute miles.  I did not feel I was running that fast.  The hills would slow me down.  Also I did not take into consideration the walk to the main road and the run from the main road back to the parking lot (add another .4 to .5 mile).  So I ran about 5.5 miles in 50 minutes.  This means my pace was around 9:04 per mile.  Wow I was moving.
When I got home my wife and I hit the gym.  She teaches group power at two gyms (same company).  We went to the one that is not close to where we live).  The class is one hour long and you lift weights, use your body's resistance, and get a full body workout.  This is not for the muscle men.  I love watching them come in, try the class, and leave within 20 minutes.
Tomorrow is my other running group's race.  Achilles international CT Hope and Possibilities.  I am now excited and motivated for tomorrow.  And the most important thing tomorrow my wife and I are celebrating our 19th wedding anniversary. 
Take care and get out and move,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #587 on: September 05, 2016, 03:58:03 AM »
Hello everybody,
Sorry I have not posted in awhile.  I started my new job.  I am enjoying the work, but the hours are long.  I leave before 7:00am and do not get home until after 5:00pm. 
So I know where I left off.  I went for a hilly 5 plus mile run.  It got me back into my mode.  On Sunday August 21 I ran in the first CT Achilles International Hope and Possibilities 5k and 10k race.  I ran in the 5K group.  The wheelchair athletes started first and the the other athletes.  I started near the front of the 5K group.  Yes I was feeling good, and brave.  The gun goes off and we start running.  I am near the front of the runners.  During the first half mile I am holding my own.  I am near the top 7 runners. 
At the first mile I am feeling good.  (I am passing some of the wheelchair athletes and 10k-ers).  I look at the time 7:40.  I never run this fast.
Mile 1-2 I am starting to feel the quick start.  I am pushing my pace.  I grab water at mile 1.5 and keep going.  There are some hills (which goes against what the course says).  I am pushing the pace.  (I know another physically challenged athlete is gaining on me.  I could see his guide out of the corner of my right eye).
At mile 2 I wish I had a Gu.  My energy level is lowering and I am being passed.  I hit mile two around 16:00 minutes.  My pace is slowing down.  I am hoping for a sub 26:00 minute 5K.  Between miles 2-3 I am feeling the burn.  I should not taken the Power class the day before.  My quads and gluts are on fire.  I am pushing my pace.  Again I catch the guide out of the corner of my right eye.
Around 2.6-2.7 miles in and we make a right turn.  I can see the area where we enter the school and run the final 1-tenth of a mile.  I am happy to see the finishing area but my legs are killing me.  I am coming up to the 3 mile sign and it happens.
The other physically challenged athlete passes me.  I do not have a kick.  My energy was spent.  I dig deep inside and try to push myself faster but I can not catch the other runner.  I am running to the finish line and realize something, I have a sub 26:00 finish.  Official time 25:24.  To top this off I am 21st out of 148.  It gets even better I finished second in the physically challenged division and second in my age group (I can not double dip so I earned my award in the physically challenged division.  It was a pint glass.  My sixth pint glass of the year and ninth award).
I was suppose to run a half marathon on August 28 (in New Hamshpire).  There was only one issue, I needed someone to carpool  drive is over 210 miles and around 3-3 and a half hours.  The drive there was not my concern.  It was the drive back.  (The race is very hilly).  I tried to find someone to go with me, but I had no takers.  This was a good thing since I injured my right knee on Saturday (or Friday and did not realize it).  When I woke up Saturday morning.  I was going to get ready to run with the Glastonbury River Runners.  I got out of bed and walked a couple of steps and my right leg muscles gave out.  I was in pain and could not stand.  I have no idea what I did.  There was a huge black and blue area across my leg.  I spent the next 2 days on the couch.
I did not run until this weekend.  I went out with the Glastonbury River Runners on Saturday.  I ran 2 miles to the school (where we met up).  I got a new cell phone and the run keeper app had an issue.  It kept the time but the miles never went above 0.83.  I restarted the app when we ran.  I figured I would run 3 miles with the group.  And then run another 2 miles home (9 miles total).  That would be a good first run back.  (Also I was struggling the first 2 miles running to the school).
We take off and I am keeping up with the group.  About a mile into the run and I am pushing my pace.  We hit the hills and I am running up the hills.  We are running in loops and I am feeling good.  And then it hits.  My bladder is screaming to me "I got to go".  I know where there are port-a-potties.  I head back to the school.  I barely make it to the port-a-potties.  Wow I hate when that happens (and it is very infrequent).
So I am on my own.  I decide to run into the local neighborhood and hit more hills.  (I forgot to turn off my run app so my time is increasing per mile).  I get back on the road.  I make a right and climb up hill and then down.  I see some of the runners from my group.  I catch them on the down and make a right.
I have to climb uphill again.  That is when I see her. 
I have no idea who she is.  A local runner I guess.  I ran her down, and almost passed her, on my way to the school (I saw her in the distance, caught up with her and I made a left and she continued straight.). Now I was going to catch her and pass her.
I pushed my pace up the hill.  I bent forward from my hips at a 45 degree angle and let my arms go.  I could feel myself picking up my pace big time.  I could distance between us decreasing.  Felt myself gaining speed and then my app stopped.  Are you kidding me?  I played with the app and started it again.  I was closing the distance again and my app stops.  The phone was too big for any pockets (on my water hydration backpack and too heavy for my pockets on my shorts).  I reset the app again.  This time was the last.
We hit a downhill area and I let it all go.  I flew passed her and made a left.  I was on Founders Road.  This is an extremely hilly road (and over a mile long).  I was 6.2 miles into my run.  I was feeling good.  And this was the area to test my knee.  I had no idea how I would feel after this road.
I can tell you I was loving this run.  I was chewing up the pavement.  I was pushing the ups and flying on the downs.  Until I hit the big hill.  I was pushing it on the up and the hill got the best of me.  About 80 percent of the way up and I had nothing let.  So I walked the rest of the way.  But once I got to the top I started running again.  (I did not take a Gu).
I kept running on this road (I never ran the entire length of this road).  Finally I came to a stop sign and made a right.  I took down the road in 9:40 per mile (not bad for hills and coming off a knee injury). 
The next road was very hilly also.  Most of the hills were down hill so I could not complain.  Once this road ended I made a right and hit more hills.  I kept pushing my pace and my time per mile was decreasing.  I was not sure how I was doing this.
I made a left and this road takes me close to home.  And yes there were more hills.  Not so bad, but hills none the less.  I was setting small goals.  I had no idea how much more I could run.  Once I got to the house, mailbox, sign, park, etc. I would set another distance goal.  As I reached the local police station I was under a mile away from home.  I hit the local green and was about .5 miles from home.  Then the churches which made it about .3 miles away.  I crossed the street and entered my complex.  One more left and I was close to where I live.  I got out my phone and clicked onto the app.
5.4 miles with a 9:38 per mile pace.  What away to end my 11.6 mile run.  When I went inside and added up all the times and my distance I figured out my pace.  It was 10:00 per mile.  A good first run.
After several hours of rest and hydration I ran with my son.  He has gotten lazy over the summer.  We went out for a 5 mile run (it ended up being a 5.4 mile run).  With traffic stops we finished the run at a 12:45 per mile pace.  (We could have taken off 3-4 minutes with stops).  Overall 17 miles of running on Saturday.
Sunday I woke early to go to the gym with my wife.  She teaches a group class, Group Power.  This is strength training.  She wanted to take the class before hers' so she could get in "a good workout".  I hit the treadmill (or as I call it the dreadmill).  I ran about 6 miles in one hour.  It wad miserable being on the treadmill.  First there is no scenery.  Second the ground moves.  This is not helping anything.  Third there are fans blowing clod air at you.  Not fun when you are trying to keep a steady pace and you get hit by blasts of cold air.
After this I joined my wife for her class.  One hour of weights.  A full body workout.  It really kicked my butt.
I got home rested and hydrated.  My son and I went out for a run.  We ran 5.5 miles.  It was hot and not so hilly.  But the heat caught up with my son and we had to walk around mile 5.  This killed our overall pace.  Along with this we did hit some traffic which made out pace even slower.  But we had a good time talking and joking around.
So much for a cool down Sunday.  I ran and walked 11.5 miles today.
I hope your weekend was as eventful as mine.
Take care,
Mr. F
On Sunday, next week, the entire family is running the Surftown Half Marathon.  We hope to see you there.

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #588 on: September 10, 2016, 03:15:17 AM »
Hello everybody,
It was nice having Monday off of work.  My son suggested we walk at least 8 miles on Monday.  After intervaling 11 miles the past two days he wanted a cool down day.  (And after my 28 plus miles and working out I needed a cool down day).  I love running and walking with my son.  It is great bonding time, quality father-son time, and it is our time (as he said when he was younger "it's papa time").   During our walk we talk about politics, world events, his career path, gaming, videos, movies, books, and our upcoming half marathon.  I asked if he wanted me to run Surftown with him.  He wants to run this event on his own.  I asked several times since this walk and he is determined to run this race with his own pace (good for him).
During this week I had several early morning meetings.  This has made my days very long.  (Arriving at work at 7:00 am and leaving work around 5:00pm).  Tuesday and Wednesday were extremely overcast, with limited rain.  My knees did not like this weather.  Needless to say I did not run or walk on these days.
Thursday was an extremely long day.  What made matters worse is that there was a glitch in the fire arm system at work.  From 6:55am (yes I was already at work this early) until after 7:35am the fire alarm would go off for 30-60 seconds reset for 5-10 seconds and go off again.  By 7:30am I had a blinding headache.  Thursday at work was miserable.
When I got home I found out that my wife's car would not start.  She had a class at the gym.  I decided to go to the gym with her.  I was not taking her class.  I was going to do something I hate, loath, and/despise.  I was going to use the dreaded treadmill.  (It was over 90 degrees outside and there was no way I was going to run/walk in this heat).
I signed up for the treadmill.  I decided I would warm up by walking and then increase my pace.  I thought I could get in 5-6 miles while my wife teaches.
I got on the treadmill and noticed my knees were not cooperating.  I had to walk the first mile.  After this I was feeling better and picking up the pace.  I got to 11:00 miles, 10:20 miles, 10:00 miles, 9:30 miles, and eventually 9:00-sub 9 minute miles.  I was feeling good.  My headache was going away and I was thinking clearly.  (I brought earbuds with me so I could listen to a television show).  I started with news program.  All they were discussing was politics and sitting on one issue.  It seemed like time was standing still.  I changed to a home improvement show.  I have no idea the name of the show but time seemed to move quicker listening to this program.
I did not pay attention to the time nor my distance.  After an hour on the treadmill I noticed that the machine would keep decreasing my pace.  Around 65 minutes into my run the treadmill stopped.  Good thing I payed attention to the time and distance. 
I kept running.  I eventfully stopped at a total of 80 minutes.  My overall distance was 8.13 miles.
Now I know this does not sound impressive.  But take into consideration I walked the first mile (figure that took me a minimum of 13 minutes, and up to 15:00 minutes).   This would mean I ran 7.13 miles in 65-67 minutes.  And I was not pushing the pace.
Tomorrow the Glastonbury River Runners are starting our get fit to 5K program.  I am looking forward to helping people get into running and learn about breathing techniques, hydration, and diet.  Before this I am going out for a 7 mile run.
Sunday is our run day.  Hopefully we will have a good race.  I will post more later on.
Have a fantastic weekend (I know I will),
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #589 on: September 18, 2016, 01:35:42 AM »
Hello everybody,

I realized I did not post about the Surftown Half Marathon.  On Saturday September 10 the family drove to Mystic.  We stayed overnight in Mystic.  Also we got to spend time with one of my favorite people and Achilles Guide Faith.  It was great seeing her.
We spent the day sight seeing, relaxing, and eating.  I was mentally preparing for my run.  This was going to be the first time I when out and attempted to run a sub 2 hour half.
At dinner we were all talking.  My wife was mentioning to our son that he was going to run by himself.  He turns to me and asks if I will run with him.  (Just a reminder that he did not train all this summer.). Now I have to change strategies.  He thinks he can run a 2:20:00 half without training.
Skip ahead to the morning of the run.  We arrive at the Surftown Half very early.  It is windy and cool.  Unfortunately we will be running into this wind for many miles.  It seems like forever until we are called to the starting line.
My son and I are running 4-1 intervals.  The first 2 miles he started off strong.  We are well in front of the 2:30:00 group.  He is looking and feeling good.  By mile 4 he was walking and complaining.  I had to keep adjusting the interval times.  We ended up with a 3 minute run and a 45 second walk.
By mile 5 he was considering DQing himself. I told him to walk and by mile 6 he was feeling better.
We kept on giving up time and I was becoming frustrated.  By mile 8 we were slowing the pace down but holding at 11:42 per mile.  At mile 10 we hit the "hill".  My son looks at the hill and says "that's not a hill it's a speed bump." 
We we holding steady until mile 12.  At this point he had nothing left in the tank.  I kept trying to motivate him and pick up the pace.  He was going to be happy with a 3 hour half.  I tried to push him faster.
I ran in front and crossed at about 2:38:00.  I was screaming and encouraging him to finish strong.  The crowd got involved and he took off.  He finished sub 2:39:09.  His lesson, I need to train for my next half marathon.  A good life lesson.
Take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #590 on: September 18, 2016, 02:24:09 AM »
Hello everybody,
Well today was the Gulf Beach Half Marathon.  The Shoreline Sharks puts on this event.  They hold 3 races annually.  In March is the Savin Rock Half, which I ran twice and love.  In May is the Hamden Hills Half which lives up to its name.  I would run this race again.  And the Gulf Beach Half, which I was told is flat.
I was looking forward to running this half.  Not only because it is flat, it is on the water, and has some incredible views (espically running on the boardwalk).  So I get up at 4:30am to start my day.  (I got everything ready Friday night so all I had to do is change, eat, and grab my stuff).
I gather up everything and head out.  I get into the car and take off.  I am driving along and I get this funny feeling I am forgetting something.  I got gas, change of clothing, water bottle, Gus, salt stick, pins, directions, and bib number.  That is everything.  But I still feel I am missing something.  About 15 minutes into the drive I remember that I left my iPod sitting on a table at home.  Such is life I will run without music.
Parking is limited so we were warned to get to the race around 6:30.  I was going to arrive extremely early so I slowed down my speed and arrived at 6:10.  To my surprise I was about the 30th runner in the parking lot.  On top of this it was 52 degrees outside.
(On Friday I decided this would be the first race I would attempt to run a sub 2 hour half.  When I woke up this morning my right knee was cramping.  I rolled onto my right side last night.)
Now I am not so sure I will be able to run a sub 2 hour half.  I start calculating time and if I can maintain a 9:00 pace I should be able to run sub 2 hours.  I am looking around and talking with friends and other runners.  It is a cold put pleasant morning.  I walked with 2 other Achilles athletes who ran the half.  There were a ton of us 169ers.  And some people from other running groups HMF, Milford Running Club, etc.
We were called to the starting line.  All 1200 plus runners.  We are sent off and the line stops.  Everyone had to run under an arch and over the mats.  Not evough space for over 1200 people.  I eventually hit the mat and start running.  I am running with a fellow 169er.  We are talking and seeing what each other is trying to accomplish.  At a certain point we pass a friend and Achilles athlete I slow down to talk with her.  She is attempting a 2:15:00 half.  I tell her I want sub 2 hours. 
After a minute or two I take off.  I did not know how far in and what the time was.  (I decided not to run with Map My Run on).  This way I would stay in the moment and push myself.  When we hit mile 1 I heard someone say 8:32 for mile one.  I kept up with this group until mile 2.
And that is when it hit.  I was so pissed off.  Not again.  I was not going to have a repeat of Bristol or Sarstoga Springs.  My right knee started to lock up.  I knew if I walked I would not be motivated to run again.  I did not want to give up all this time and then son by walking.  I had to reconfigure my stride and pace.  And push on.  By mile 3 I was almost crying.  My knee was cramping and I could not get a good bending motion.  (I was not feeling crunching, catching, or anything that would suggest I was messing up my knee).
By mile 4 people were passing me and I was feeling frustrated.  I did see one person who I could pace off of and took advantage of this.  Also there was a Hartford Marathon Ambassador who I have run with before, and she and I were pacing each other.
At some point in mile 5 I was passed by the race leader.  He was in mile 7 or 8.  I did not feel bad because I was less than 3 miles behind the leader.  Again I had no idea how fast or slow I was running.  I was focusing on my stride and breathing.  Along with this I kept tabs on my hydration, Gus, and salt stick.  Again I was being passed.
When I got to mile 6 I was thinking maybe I will start to walk and use intervals.  At this point I was happy to keep running one step at a time.  I was enjoying the scenery and trying to maintain my pace.  During this mile we hit the half way point and had to cross a timing mat (later on I found out at mile 6.55 I was running sub 58:00. I have never run a 10k, 6.2 miles in under an hour.)  Now I had to run the course backwards.
My right knee was not loosening up.  I was cramping even more.  I had to change my stride.  I was catching up to one of the people I was pacing with.
By mile 7 I passed the person I was pacing off of.  Now it was me and the woman from HMF.  Along with this I was catching some of the people who passed me.  Soon we were at mile 8 and then back on the boardwalk.
I enjoyed running along the boardwalk. The scenery was nice.  The only thing I did not like were the cement pillars in the middle of the walkway.  If you were not careful a bad collision would occur.
Finally I got off the boardwalk and was back on the streets.  I had no idea how far into the run I was and I could only guess my time.  (At this point I was hoping for a 2:04:00).  I was feeling the run.  I was hoping to be at mile 11 (next time I saw a mile sign, but figured it would be mile 10).
The next mile sign was for mile 10.  I knew we had one more water stop left (yes I did drink water or Gator Aid at each water station).  As I approached I heard people asking what time was it?  I did not pay attention.  Then someone asked far into the race we were.  A voice said around 90 minutes.
Wait a minute...I am over 10 miles into the race and at 90 minutes.  Could this be true?  Am I running sub 9 minute miles on a cramped knee?  This started to mess with me.
Before I knew it I was at mile 11.  I gulped down my final Gu and took a salt stick.  I was thinking how can I run 2 more miles on this cramped knee?  I was planning on walking soon.  And that is when something occurred.  A runner from the Milford Running Club passed me.  This guy always beats me, but I am never close to his time.  Now I can see him.  I am trying not to get to far behind him.  We are running up and down some minor hills.  We are running across a bridge and back into a residental neighborhood.  We hit mile 12.
I have nothing left in the tank.  I am not going through another Saratoga Springs.  I am thinking about walking.  I reach into my pocket and talk another salt stick.  I know this will not give me energy but it might keep me from cramping up.  I am keeping up with a smaller pack of runners.  I keep hearing people say "a half mile until the finish".  I run somemore and see a policeman directing traffic and thank him for his time.  He says "only s half mile more".   Dam this is the longest half mile of my life.
We turn a corner and I see the bridge.  We are close to the finish.  I have a kick left and take off (as much as I can).  I pass other runners yelling "GO 169 and Achilles.  Let's hear it for disabled athletes."  (I yelled this 2-3 times).  I did not pay attention to the timer as I approached because I did not want to see my time until I crossed the second pad.
I was not close to the 9 minute per mile pace I was hoping for pre race.  I was not close to my 2:04:00 time that I was hoping for.  I was in total shock and disbelief.  I saw the timer 1:57:00 unofficially.  I went over to the timing tent and my official time was 1:56:25 (8:53 per mile).  My first sub 2 hour half (and sub 9:00 mile).  I was amazed.
I hope your Saturday was as eventful as mine...
Take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #591 on: October 04, 2016, 12:47:59 AM »
Hello everybody,
In January 2016 I was planning my running year.  I had several goals: to run in at least 24 half marathons, raise $300 for Achilles International CT Chapter, run and walk 1,200 miles and raise awareness of disabled athletes.  I have raised $300 for Achilles International.  I have run and walked over 1,600 miles so far this year.  I have raised awareness of disabled athletes and informed race directors about disabled athletes who run in mainstream events.  Some race directors are going to include disabled award catagories for upcoming events.
As for the 24 half marathons I have been running, and walking, in 6 different states this year.  Up until Sunday I was on course to run in half marathon 24.  On Friday I was telling people about going to Massachuttes on Sunday to run in half marathon #24.  Friday night I received an email telling me that Sunday's race will not take place.  Now I am back at half marathon #23.
When I got home Friday night I went onto running in the USA.  I was hoping to find a half marathon on Sunday and it would not break the bank.  I was looking for a half and found one that was not so expensive.  I signed up and was back on track to run #24.
With the change in weather (cold and raining), on Friday afternoon, my right knee was not cooperating.  I was in extreme pain.  The only way to describe the pain is take a hammer and slam it down on your knee.  I could not stand and bending was painful.  As the rain passed I was starting to feel better.
I was suppose to run with intermediate and begging runners on Saturday (with GRR).  I woke up at 5:00am to eat and get ready.  When I woke up my right knee felt better, but my left knee was killing me.  The weather was not cooperating.  Again cold and raining outside.  I was in extreme pain.  I decided not to run with the intermediate runners,  I was hoping the rain would pass and I could run with the beginning runners.  This would not happen.  I was bedridden and stuck on the sofa all day.
As Saturday night approached I was not so sure if I could make it to my half on Sunday.  On Sunday morning I was feeling better.  I drove 70 miles to get to my 24th half marathon.
Once I was there I stayed in a gym and kept stretching.  As the race time approached I was feeling good.  5 minutes before the race started we were called to the starting line.  I was hoping the race would start on time.  This way my knee, or knees, would not give me any issues.  This would not occur.  We were standing for 15 minutes.
By the time the race started I was camping up.  My plan was to run until I could not run.  At this point I would interval.  And if need be I would walk.
We take off.  I knew I would not be able to run the entire race.  Mile 1 was not bad.  Mile 2 had a nice hill (good incline).  My knee was not happy with the hill.  Mile 3 saw me slowing down.  Mile 4 was somewhat painful.  By mile 5 I was slowing down and walking.  I was almost in tears.
Miles 6-10 I was walking most most of the time.  Also this area was a double loop.  It was not fun watching people pass you that you know you should be running faster than.  Also seeing the same areas over and over (with it being cold, overcast, and windy) is not fun walking past.  What was very interesting was a woman ran pasted me, slowed down, and asked if I was an Achilles athlete.  She thought it was great that I was out running and walking in this event.
At mile 10 I was passed by two runners who mentioned their time.  I almost had a heart attack.  I could not believe their pace.  I was hoping for a 2:30:00 time.  Their time was 10:20 per mile.  (If I walk a 12 minute mile for 5 miles and ran 5 miles this must mean I was running sub 9 minute miles).
Miles 10-13 I was intervaling.  I would not run more than a minute or 90 seconds per interval.  These miles were blurry.  I was talking with any runner that I could.  I just wanted to finish and not DQ myself.  I was pushing through this run, or walk.  I hit mile 11.  Than I make to mile 12.  I am trying to stay mentally focused.  People are yelling words of encouragement and trying to get me to run.  No one knows what I am experiencing.
At 12.8 miles I say F-it and started to run.  I could feel some pain but I wanted to get the run over with.  I get near the finish line and look up.  There is no way this is my time.  Overall time 2:16:24 (10:24 pace).  How in the hell did I just pull this off?  Not my best nor my worst finishing time.
I hope your weekend was better than mine.
Take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #592 on: October 16, 2016, 07:47:23 PM »
Hello everybody,
Sorry for not keeping up with my posting.  My new job, and extended hours, is not so convenient.  I am still adjusting to them.  Along with this I volunteer my time with 3 running groups and several political organizations.  So to say the least I am "running" around almost everyday with something new on my plate.
With this being said let us get into the running.  On October 8 I ran and walked my 25th half marathon of the year.  It was a beautiful and cold morning.  I needed to be at the race by 5:30am to help set up our tent and help out with whatever was needed.  My son joined me on this adventure.  The race started at 8:00am.
We headed to the starting area by 7:30am so we could find our pacing groups. He started with the 2:30:00 group and I started with the 1:50:00 group.  I figured if I fell back I could cross around 1:53:00.  So I found my pacer.  It was his first time pacing.  My son's pacer was running intervals (3-1), which is what he has been training over the past 3 weeks.
My pacer started to take the group to our area way to late.  We ended up behind the 2 hour group.  Our first two miles were way too fast.  We were bobbing and waving through the 2 hour group.  We continued to pick up the pace during miles 2-3.  Our pacer was all over the place.  At mile 4 we slowed down some.  At this point we wasted a lot of our energy.  (Also people were not watching where they were going.  I was getting pushed, my legs kicked, and people cut in-front of me and stopped way to many times).
By mile 5 my right knee cramped up and I had to let the group pass me.  There goes my sub 1:55:00 half.  I struggled the next 3 miles.  I could not get a good pace going.  I had to shorten my stride and re-figure how my pace would work.  I walked a couple of times to see if this would help.  (It did not).
I was surprised when I hit mile nine with a time of 1:27:00.  I was not feeling the run this day.
Miles 10-11 my pace was all over the place.  I could not get into my zone and enjoy the run.  Mile 12 I was just trying to keep up with a person I was using to pace me.  It took forever to get to mile 13.  I took off and crossed the finish line.  I did not know my official time.  I was under 2 hours but by how much?
I went over to the awards tent.  Normally they will tell you your time and if you paced or not.  There was an issue so I went over to other tents to check out the vendors.  During this time I got my time.  A new PR 1:55:26 (8:49 per mile).  Not bad with one knee not cooperating.  On top of this I placed first for all physically challenged athletes. 
On October 9 I headed out to Maine to run in the Old Orchard Beach Half Marathon.  I had a friend and his wife drive me.  They were running in their second half marathon each.  (My wife, my self, and the other couple ran in the Hogsback Half Marathon weeks earlier).  I was talking with the husband.  I asked him if he could run a half and pick the finishing time what would he like his half time to be?  He told me 2:15:00.  (But he thought he would never finish in that time).  We talked about life and other things on the ride to Maine.
During the race I ran with Rich.  We talked about life and running.  I told him we would use an interval (4 minutes- 30 seconds).  If the running became too difficult we would adjust this time.  If he needed more walking time we would adjust this time.  I planned out his jells and salt stick times.  I showed him how to use tangents and kept him talking most of the time.  (I kept asking him questions).  We worked on his breathing technique.
The course was a loop course which made it easier to judge miles and time.  We walked through all the water stops.  The course was not that hilly so it made for an easier run.  The weather on the other hand was miserable.  It was in the upper 40s and lower 50s, cold, and raining.
To make a long story short he did not get his 2:15:00 time.  He crossed at 2:12:48.  (I crossed 5 seconds before he did).  He placed third in his age group (I placed second).  His wife PRed also (2:45:00). It was a great race.
Today I drove to Vermont to run in my 27th half and 7th state this year.  It was cold, windy, and overcast.  My knees did not cooperate.  The race started downhill.  At mile 1 I was in fourth place overall.  (After this my right knee cramped up.  A mile later my left knee cramped up).  During mile 2 I was thinking about DQing myself.  I kept saying one more step and then I will walk.  Somehow I made it to mile 3.  I kept saying one more step and then I will walk. 
I was thinking about movies and zoned out.  When I looked at the sign to my right it was Mile 4.  Somehow I am still moving forward.  People have been passing me but not the lead runners.  I finally hit mile 5 and made a right onto a bridge.  (I hate running on the metal bridges.  Not comfortable for the knees).  After the bridge was an incline and dirt roads (reminded me of trail running).
The next 2 miles were not fun.  I was not able to keep up with the person I was using as my pacer (I call this person my rabbit).  By mile 7 I was using a different rabbit.  (More people passed me).  I could not get a good pace or finding my running zone.  All I could ask for is a finishing time of 2:10:00 or better.
I was thrilled to hit mile 8.  I kept saying to myself if I can make mile 9 than I will walk.  At least I will give up time for only 4 miles not 11 (if I walked at mile 2).  Somehow I made it to mile 9.  My knees were not cooperating but I was able to slow down and keep running.  More people passed me.
Hitting mile 10 was great.  I was moving slower, but I was running.  I thought about different songs and movies to keep my brain occupied. 
Mile 11 seemed to take a long time.  Mile 12 was even worse.  I was not able to keep up with my rabbit and there was nobody else in-front of me.  And nobody behind me.  I sucked it up and climbed up the hill.  I was not going to walk, and I was not going to kick-it to early.  I saved my strength so I could finish strong.
As I made my way up the hill I started to run faster.  I had one-tenth of a mile left.  I went into the area near the finishing line and almost had a heart attack.  This could not be my time.  1:57:26 (8:57 pace).  4th in my age group and first physically challenged athlete.  I will gladly take this time and thrilled with my placing. 
I hope your week and weekend were fun filled and spent with family.
Take care,
Mr. F

Offline stevew4270

• Regular Poster
« Reply #593 on: October 21, 2016, 11:21:49 AM »
How old are you please Mr F

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 376
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #594 on: October 21, 2016, 11:44:18 AM »
Must be 46 or thereabouts now looking at this post from 2005

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=3499.msg147276#msg147276

:)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #595 on: October 23, 2016, 05:00:18 PM »
Hello everybody,
Vickster you are correct I am 46 years old.  I started having knee issues when I was 13.  I was diagonosed with a knee issue at 14.  I spent over a year in a leg brace (immobilizing my knee).  I had one knee operated on and months later the other knee operated on when I was 15.  I had another surgery before I was 19.  A year later I had my other knee operated on.  In 2005 I had bilateral knee replacement (patella-femoral).  I had one knee revised in 2011, and my other knee revised in 2013.  So I have had knee issues for almost 72% of my life.
I have no races this week so I have been walking more this week.  I was able to volunteer with the beginning running group (Glastonbury River Runners) twice this week.  It is great working with, providing support, and inspiring new runners.  I love giving back to others and my community.  (Later on today I will be volunteering with our Zoomerangs program.  This is a running group for kids who want to become runners).
I am working on something major.  I received my medical form on Thursday evening.  I contacted my OS and emailed my paperwork.  Now is the wait and see when I get my forms back.  Then it's send them in and wait for approval.  (If this comes to fruition I will tell you what it is...if not I will tell you what I wanted to do).
So Saturday my plan was to interval by myself, run with the intermediate group, rest, interval with the beginning runners, and walk 3-4 miles.  I figured I would interval and run 13 miles and walk 3 miles (total 16 miles).
I did not hit this mark, I surpassed it.  The weather was cold, windy, and extremely overcast.  My right knee did not feel good.  The weather caused my knee to cramp.  During the first hour I intervalled by myself.  I managed 5.3 miles.  I ran and intervalled 8.7 miles with the intermediate group (14 miles in over 2:05:00). Then I intervalled with the beginning runners.  3 miles in 37:30.  Finally I intervalled 3.42 miles by myself.  20.45 miles in 3:23:18 (pace 9:57).  I could not believe my pace. 
Today my wife wanted me to go to the gym and take her active class.  I go on the treadmill (17-20 mile per hour winds and cold).  I got in 5 miles.  Took the hour long class.  After this I got in 3 miles before I had no energy left. 
I am going to try and get in 2 more miles before the end of the day.  Right now I am watching the news and typing this post.  I will be taking a nap soon.
Enjoy your Sunday....
Take care,
Mr. F
PS-next week is half 28...

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #596 on: November 07, 2016, 12:42:47 AM »
Hello everybody,
This past week was stressful at work.  I am going to leave out the details, but my walking and intervals were well needed.
This weekend I pulled off my third back to back half marathons (half marathon on Saturday followed by a half marathon on Sunday).  I did this April 30-May 1, October 8 and 9, and now November 5 and 6.  I have one more back to back next weekend.
On Saturday I intervalled the Ghost Airline Trail Half Marathon.  There were no other distances in this race.  I am not a trail person, but I was told this is one of those you need to run this once type of races.  It is a point to point race.
I get to the elementary school were we finish.  There you take a school bus to the other elementary school (where the race starts).  I was going to pick up my shirt and bib and come back for other items (gloves, iPod, hat, etc) but something told me to take everything.  I am glad that I did.  We left one school and it took forever to get to the other.  (The race director had several bins where you could leave your race shirt and they would bring it to the other school).
It was cold (34 degrees), slightly overcast, and breezy when the race started.  We stretched inside the school (and I stretched again outside).  Finally we were lined up.  The race director talked for a minute and sent us on our way.  I was pacing with a group who had several conversations about running going on.  One guy ran his first marathon.  He is training for his second.  He felt that if he walks (other than through the water stations he is cheating).  I explained intervals and told him about the Galloway method.  Also I was using a 4 minute-30 second interval on Saturday.
Up to about the first mile and a half everything was going great. I did not feel any pain in my knees.  At around 1.5 miles we took a right and headed onto the trail.
Again I am not a trail runner.  The first couple of miles on the trail were not that bad.  No major rocks, inclines, nor roots.  I was feeling good and keep a good pace.
The one issue I had was there were no port-a-potties.  I had to pee.  By mile 6 My bladder was ready to explode.  I am glad I stopped there.  There were no other potties on the course.
The back end of the course had the uphills.  To make matters worse mile 8 and 9 had big rocks all over the trails.  My knees were not happy.  I had to walk more and slow down my "running pace".  By mile 10 my knees were feeling the rocks.  We were still climbing uphill.  Mile 11 we were still climbing uphill.  I was slowing down and felt that if I finished with a time under 2:10:00 I would be happy (I wanted a sub 2 hour half before the race started).
When we were approaching mile 12 I heard someone say "a two hour half is still possible".  I started to pace off of a person who pulled ahead of me.  We started talking.  I asked her is the course flattened out soon.  She said yes.  I did not know this would occur in about .5-.7 miles. 
I was feeling the trail and hills as I approached the finishing line.  I left a little kick and picked up my pace.  I crossed the finish line and wondered did I do enough.  It would either be a 1:59:59 or a 2:00:00 half (this was gun timed not chip).
When the results came in my time was 1:59:59.
Today I drove to Bristol, Rhode Island to interval in the Colt State Park Half Marathon.  It is a beautiful venue and challenging course.  It did not help that I took part in a half marathon the day before, it was cold, overcast, and windy (20 mile per hour wind).  On top of this it was a cross breeze.  Meaning when you interval the wind hit you from the sides pushing you back and forth.  There was not wind going with you not interval into a wind.  This made the course more difficult.
The course was laid out as 2 inner loops and 2 outer loops.  I started off with the 2 ho I group (yes this race had pacers).  This was a nice perk.  The two hour pacer worked with me,  I was able to keep up with her until mile 3.  My left knee started to cramp up.  I was within 25-30 seconds of the group by mile 5.  My left knee got worse.  And by mile 8 I was walking.  (I walked most of miles 8 and 9).  I walked parts of miles 10 and 11. 
When people saw me using an interval they were asking how I did this.  Everyone kept saying "you are flying" and walking on top of this.  I had no idea what they were talking about.  I figured with so many people passing me I would be lucky for a 2:15:00-2:20:00 finishing time.
When we got to mile 12 I had enough walking and slowed down my running pace.  I made it through the winding path near the water, up the hill, down the other side, and up the next hill.  I know I was getting close to the finish line.  I saw the signs for miles 3 and 8.  The next sign is up an incline and there is mile 13.  A left turn and and straight shot to the finish line. 
As I am making my way to finish line I yell out my standard saying "let's hear it for disabled athletes, Go Achilles, go disabled athletes".  I look up and see the time 2:03:01.  How in the hell did I manage this time?  I am thrilled with my time.
So I have two half marathons with an average time of 2:01:30.  Not a bad weekend of intervals.
I hope your weekend was a memorable as mine...take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #597 on: November 12, 2016, 11:38:26 PM »
Hello everybody,
The weather has taken a turn to the dark side.  Around 5:00pm the sun is gone.  I get out of work after 4:00pm so I am finding it difficult to get in any walking after work.  I have been forced to use the treadmills at my gym.  I am not a fan of treadmills.  It is mind numbing and a mental strain to stay in the same spot for an hour or two and say I have walked 4.4-9 miles.  To make matters worse the AC vents are blasting cold air and the fans are all facing the treadmills.  (I miss the outdoors, nature's breeze (or heat), and pavement that does not move.  (Yes I watch people run really fast for a minute or two, jump to the sides of the treadmill, and the tread keeps moving and counting the distance.
On a totally different topic...my wife and I had our date morning today.  We ran, interval, the Roxbury Half Marathon.  I wanted a slow and relaxing pace.  (This was my 31st half of the year and I have another half marathon tomorrow).  This is one of the more hillier (more hills) races I take part in.  (After the race my mapping application told me that there is over 1400 feet of elevation).  The race starts downhill (but ends uphill).  The first 2 plus miles are on pavement.  Then you make a left and hit the trails. 
The trails in this race are not bad.  Mainly dirt and rock roads (small rocks).  By the time we hit the trails we were close to the back of the pack.  I turned down the volume on my app so it would not distract me (ex-wanting to run faster).  We had a great time at the race.  I paced off my wife.  She was zoning out to her music.  When she wanted to walk, we walked.  When she wanted to run, we ran.  When a car was near by I got behind her so she controlled how fast or slow we went.
Most of the first 6 miles were down hill.  There was one section of incline.  I expected to walk this area so there were no real suprises.  At this point there were only 2 people behind us.
During the next two miles we were enjoying a nice constant pace.  We were able to catch up to another runner and pass him.  As my motto went (when I started taking part in events) at least I am not last.  We crossed an intersection and headed to mile 9.  This is where we hit more uphills.  As we approached mile 9.5 we passed the finish line.
There was one loop left.  (I had to stop and use the restroom).  My wife kept running.  I figured I could catch up to her around mile 10.  At this point we had to cross an intersection.  The volunteer did a horrible job of making sure traffic stopped and gave the runners the ability to cross the street.  (My wife was slightly ahead of me).  She crossed with no issues.  When I came up to the intersection a driver decided to pull forward and drive into me.  She came within 5 inches of hitting me. 
At around mile 10.5 we were back on another trail.  This one was not so bad.  In less than a mile we were off the trail.  Now we were back on paved roads.  We had to pass by a section we already ran.
Miles 11-12.6 were not so bad.  At mile 12.6 my wife started to complain that she wanted the race to end.  I told her it would end soon.  She was not looking forward to the final hill and the incline near the finish.  I kept her motivated and told her that she would cross before me.  She said we were the last runners.  I told her about the other 4 people so she took off.  I figured we would finish with a time of 2:36:00. Unofficial time 2:35:49 (11:47 pace).  Not bad.
After the run we continued our date.  We went out to eat at a Korean resturant.  Brown rice, tofu, veggies (lots and lots of veggies), and an egg.  Hot sauce on mine and some type of lemon sauce on my wife's lunch.  It was the perfect meal for after a half marathon.
We do not get to run in many races together.  It was a fantastic day getting our alone time.
When we got home I took our son for icecream and did the laundry.  Tomorrow I will be up early to get out and interval another half.
I hope your weekend was eventful.
Take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #598 on: December 26, 2016, 12:40:57 AM »
Hello everybody,
So I realized I have not posted in some time.  I need to let you know what I have been up to.  I have rest my social media for the up coming 2017 year.  If you would like to follow me on Twitter you can follow me @CTRunner21.  Along with this I have some updating for you.
On November 13 I ran my 4th half marathon in 8 days (10 half marathons in 50 days).  I ran one of the Faxon Law half marathons in Guilford.  It was a great race.  Somewhat hilly and a beautiful area to run in.  I tried a 3 minute-30 second interval.  I started with a fast pace (I did not notice this).  By mile four I was pacing at 8:15 per mile.  I am loving this interval.  I was feeling great.
By mile six one of my knees started to cramp up.  This was very mind numbing.  I would be able to run some, walk very fast, and during mile 9-10 I could only walk at a slower pace.  It is very frustrating watching people pass you knowing you should be passing them.  By mile 12 I was able to start moving again.  I did not push my pace.  I waited until the final half mile and kicked it.  I finished the race with a sub 2:05:00 time.  I am not complaining. 
The following Sunday I traveled to New Hamphsire to run in the Wolf Hollow Half Marathon.  This was the final out of state half marathon, in 2016, for me.  It was a trail run (I am not a fan of trail runs but I heard I had to take part in is one).  It was not that bad of a trail.  The issue was it rained during the night and morning.  The trail was all muddy.  Not fun.  I was able to make it through the first 2 miles and then the cramping set in.  I was intervaling and walking.  Most of the time I was walking.  Trudging through the mud was not fun.  At some point I pulled or injured my hamstring.  I finished race by walking across the finish line in around 2:18:00.
I took it easy and had the Manchester Road Race on Thanksgiving morning.  I was told that there is a hill in mile 1 was a monster.  I was feeling my hamstring issue so I was taking it easy.  I hit the hill after mile 1.  It was a challenging hill.  It was not the devastating hill that was insurmountable to conquer.  I ran up the hill and took off to mile 2.  It was funny to see so many drunk people doing foolish things (the people watching the race). 
At mile 3.5 my hamstring was killing me.  I started to slow down.  I kept moving and took one step at a time.  By mile 4.2 I started to pick up my pace.  I finished strong and got a 42 minute seed for the 2017 race.
I still have more races to go.  In early December I ran my last half in 2016 (half #34).  The Thompson Speedway Half Marathon is a great race.  It was my second year running this race.  It was cold, overcast, windy, and hilly.  I was feeling it in my knee and hamstring.  I held back some when I started the race.  I was using intervals.  This helped me get to mile 7.  By mile 8 I was in pain.  During mile 9 I was holding back the tears.  I walked several miles.  I kept saying one more step, one step closer, one mile closer, I will finish this race. 
I hit mile 10.  I can walk a 5K in my sleep.  I was having problems pushing off on my knee and leg.  At mile 11 I knew I would walk across the finish line.  I made it back to the race track.  I was going to run, interval, slowly and cross the finish line running.  I was able to keep this up.  I crossed the finish line in under 2:10:00.  I was thrilled.
After this race I was thinking about running in one of my favorite 10 mile road race (Norfolk Pub 10 Mile Road Race).  Unfortunately it was on the same day, and same time, as an open house for one of the school's my son wants to attend.  We were unable to attend the race.  The weather is weekend was horrible, snowing, so the open house and race were cancelled.  I might be able to run this race in Jamuary (when it is rescheduled).
Today was our final race of 2016.  My wife and me ran in the Scrooge Scramble 5K.  We got to the event early.  She wanted to run 3 miles before the race.  I have never done a warm up run so I joined her.  We ended up in an area we did not know (Google Maps).  We ended up with a 4 mile warm up run.  My wife took a spill on the black ice (injured finger and a bruised leg).
We ran the 5K together.  I enjoyed going slower and spending the time with my wife.  She ran an amazing race.  She has not run since the Roxbury Half.  (She teaches classes at two gyms so she is in very good shape and conditioning).  We crossed the finish line at 31:59 and 32:00.  I had a great run and enjoyed our running date.
As for my training I started adding in classes my wife teaches and using the stationary bike.  With the weather changing, and coming home from work in the dark, I have been using the treadmill at the gym.  I am not use to the stationary bike and treadmill.  It is like working out in your living-room.  I am going to continue this method of working out and training.  I do not like running in the dark with nobody around.
I hope you had a Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Holidays, and a happy new year.
Take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #599 on: January 16, 2017, 12:07:53 AM »
Hello everybody,
Today was my first race of 2017.  It is in a hilly, cold, and windy part of Connecticut.  (Lucky there was no ice, snow, or rain).  My left knee was not going to cooperate today.  I was feeling it cramp on the car ride.  This race is a 8.55 mile run.  People's Forest Run.
I started off the race with a respectful pace.  I got to mile 2 in under 17:00.  Shortly after this I was cramping even more.  At mile three I had limited mobility.  I have been through this before.  Weather impacts the knee.
I kept on running, but at a slower pace.
I was saying one more step...one more step.  At mile 4 I thought hopefully I can make it to mile 6 (there is a hill at mile 6 and I was prepared to walk up this hill).  I was shocked I was still running at mile 5.  And eventually I hit mile 6.
I walked up the hill.  After this I was walking and running short distances.  I was mentally preparing for the final 2.55 miles.  Mile 6 took forever to complete.
In mile 7 you run over the final bridge and then there is about 1 mile left.  I made it to the bridge (the last 2 years I had to walk from this area to the finish line).  I was having flashbacks of the past two years.  Would I be able to run the rest of the race or giv back time and walk. 
I pushed forward and kept going.  I passed the 7.5 mile mark.  I was trying not to think about my knee.  I made it to mile 8.  All I could think about was not breaking 80 minutes on this course.  Last year I was pushing the pace 8:20 miles and I had to give it all back.  I knew I was getting closer when I saw people on their cool down run.  Finally I could see the enterance to the park.  One more left and I heard my time.  I could not believe it.  1:16:31 (8:56.9 per mile).  I was thrilled.
I hope your weekend was exciting...
Take care,
Mr. F

support