Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PFR-Knee pain-Who has had this?  (Read 148272 times)

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: PFR-Knee pain-Who has had this?
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2011, 10:00:10 PM »
Sounds like you are doing pretty good!  The quads may be sore if they used a turniquot (sp?).  It can leave the muscles pretty stiff and sore for a while.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2011, 05:57:35 PM »
Just got home from "running" around.  Yes folks I am out and about.  I had my OS visit.  All 35 staples are out.  The person who removed them had a good touch.  He was able to remove the staples with minimum pain (not the pulling and yanking of the 80 some odd staples that were removed in 2005).  I will be able to take a shower tomorrow (no more washing from a sink).  After that were X-rays.  When the doctor came in he showed the before and after x-rays.  You could see where the bone grew in and now the nice clean grove. 
That was not all.  When he checked the knee he was concerned about the swelling.  (Blood that had accumulated in the knee).  He was able to remove 2 syringes full of blood.  Wow what a difference.  I was able to move the leg with less pressure.  Also having the staples removed made bending easier.  I would say I am at 110-degrees minimum.
After that we left and walked down the hall to the physical therapy area.  I made several appointments.  I am looking forward to building up the strength in my quads.
Tomorrow is a festival where I live.  It will be nice getting out of the house and experiencing life again.  I was getting cabin fever.

Take care and enjoy the weekend,
Mr.F

PS-For those who have been following this thread...Yes I am still shaving my head.  I am nice and cool during the summer.  I will have to apply sun block so I do not burn.  Any suggestions...

Offline Suejs14

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2011, 05:18:19 AM »
Congratulations on becoming "zipper" free . . . and nice that you had a talented snip and puller.  Suggestion on sunblock for your head?  A hat <gr>

Have a wonderful, free and out in the crowd weekend.

SJS
4/04 R knee partial meniscectomy
4/24/11 L patella comminuted fx
4/27 ORIF (2 of @ 6 pieces pin & wire together)
5/10 Staples out
6/7 from full leg immobilizer to brace set at 70 degrees flex
6/16 begin PT with 45 degrees ROM
7/14 75 ROM
7/21 81 ROM
8/2  102 ROM
11/30 127 ROM

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2011, 01:15:55 PM »
Thank you SJS...one problem I can not wear a hat at work. 

Last night I had the worst night.  My quad muscles kept contracting and I could not get comfortable.  I took my meds and that did not work.  I woke up and iced the muscles, and knee.  Any suggestions about what happened?  Has anyone else had this problem?

The good news...I can shower this morning.  Finally no more wash clothes and a sink.

Get out and have fun (I am)...

Thank you,
Mr.F

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2011, 03:32:36 PM »
Try increasing your hydration and potassium.  Both of these being low can lead to muscle spasms. 
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2011, 04:56:57 PM »
KW,
Thanks for the information.  I am drinking lots of water.  I have a 18 ounce cup and fill it up at least 6 times a day.  I need to increase my potassium intake.  (I will get bananas and start taking my vitamins).

Thanks....
Mr.F

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2011, 05:03:43 PM »
You may even want to think about substituting some Gatorade/Peidalyte for some of the water....I mixed 50/50 with water after my replacement.  Too much water can dilute electrolytes, sodium, potassium......all kinds of thing you need to heal.
Right Knee
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline Suejs14

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2011, 06:00:10 AM »
Another thought besides adding sodium/potassium . . . you're waking up sleeping giants of muscles . . . sounds like they're saying "hi" at inappropriate times.  It is normal for muscles to spasm if they've been "out" for a while and are just being re-kindled.  Not fun, but not a problem.  I had several days of it in the first week post-op.  It drove me nuts . . . then the quads went into a Rip van Winkle mode and haven't woken up yet . . . just getting started on quad strength (of which there is none) . . . once they awaken I'll be moaning about the spasms, I'm sure.

Sue JS

5/10 Staples out
7/14 75 ROM
7/21 81 ROM
8/2  102 ROM
11/30 127 ROM

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2011, 03:13:55 PM »
Thanks Sue JS...I did not have this happen last time I had PFR.  I just wanted to make sure there was not a problem.  I am feeling somewhat better (more water and potassium).

Yesterday we, the family, when to our county's summer festival.  There was music ( a dj...which was very good.  More mode music than anything else).  They set up 2 bars and food from 13 restaurants.  We ate our way through the night.  It was great getting out and having fun.  Oh, the funny part of the night...about 10 minutes prior to leaving a couple sat down with their mother (well the wife's mother) and she had practically the same model of walker I have (and yes they are the identical color).  No, I do not have the hospital version of the walker.  My wife purchased one on e-bay (upgraded model with a basket and a seat).

Today we are headed out to a farmer's market.  Each one has a different theme so I will have to post later and tell you all about it.

Yes I am using suntan lotion so I will not burn. 

Have a fun day, get outside and spend time with friends and family,

Mr.F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2011, 02:01:12 PM »
Let me start by saying Happy 4th to those of you who celebrate this day...

The farmers market was fun.  It is a small historical area of the state.  Local farmers and merchants.  Hand made products.  There were people with their pets: dogs, birds, and goats.  My wife was looking for goat cheese and yarn.  My son was looking at the food (desserts).  I had fun getting outside and walking.  The main problem for me was the area was grassy and not level (and full of rocks).  After 30-45 minutes I needed to go back to the car and sit.  Too much for my leg.  I iced my knee when we got home.

As for the quad pain.  Everyday less and less pain.  The water, salt, and potassium seem to be working (along with exercise).

I do not know what we are doing today, but it is sunny (and not humid).  So I will be outside today.

Have fun with friends and family....

Mr.F

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2011, 03:44:24 PM »
Congrats on the outing!  Glad to read things are getting better and you are making progress.
Right Knee
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2011, 02:44:10 PM »
Farmer's market sounds like fun.  30-45 minutes of walking on uneven ground is not too bad.  Keep hydrated and the electrolytes up.  I had trouble with that in the hospital, they would not give me anything but water.  First thing I did on the way home was stop and get gatoraide!  Felt so much better after.

'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2011, 12:26:14 AM »
Thanks to everyone who has been responding...As for the gatoraide I learned about this first hand last time I was operated on.  Personally, I think gatoraide should use knee replacement people in an ad. 

I think I over did it today.  Ran around (mall, toy store, and BJs) and exercised today.  I have been drinking fluids, eating foods with potassium and sodium.  I have had lots of muscle pain and stiffness today.

I start my PT at the OS's office on Friday.  Looking forward to new exercises to strengthen my quads.  Last time I went through this I took my pain meds after PT.  I am wondering if any of you took your pain meds prior to PT and what was the outcome?  (I did this because I was afraid that I would not feel any pain and do something that would hurt myself).

Thanks for your suggestions and advice,

Mr.F

Offline Suejs14

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2011, 06:30:49 AM »
Hi

I've taken a couple of tylenol prior to PT and haven't needed anything afterwards.  My OS is conservative and doesn't want forced manipulation beyond what I can manage to do myself . . . and is slow going in terms of gaining ROM.  I haven't had painful PT . . . so may not be a good reference.  I've just been slow and steady -- I'll be going at it for months I think.

Your outings sounded like fun . . . and uneven ground wears your body and psyche out.  Glad wisdom prevailed and you found a place to rest.  Good luck this week!

Sue JS
5/10 Staples out
7/14 75 ROM
7/21 81 ROM
8/2  102 ROM
11/30 127 ROM

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2011, 02:05:56 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has been responding...As for the gatoraide I learned about this first hand last time I was operated on. Personally, I think gatoraide should use knee replacement people in an ad.

Mr.F
Right next to the big all star athletes.  If they think their workouts are hard. HA!   ;)

As for PT and meds, it just depends on how I felt.  At first I would take them before as I knew they would be working on ROM and it would be too painful without.  Later I would take it later since all the working made things a bit grouchy.  You can ask your PT what they suggest or see for yourself what works for you.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt