Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PFR-Knee pain-Who has had this?  (Read 138935 times)

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
Re: PFR-Knee pain-Who has had this?
« Reply #570 on: May 21, 2016, 12:17:02 AM »
Hello everybody,
Sorry for not posting in sometime.  Work, well what can I say that would not get me in trouble, has been taxing.  It is a mess.  I have been somewhat stressed out.  That is one of the reasons why I have not posted in awhile.
As for my running, well that is another story.  By looking at my last posting I ran the Cheshire Half and won first place in the ambulatory physically challenged males.  I defended my title.  I ran the half in 2:01:19.  It was an amazing run. 
Since then I have been on a half marathon ranpage.  The following week I ran my first back to back half marathons.  On April 30 I ran the Willamantic Half Marathon.  It was very hilly, cold, and windy.  I decided to save my knees for Sunday and walked at least 7.5 miles.  I thought I ran the first 2 miles, only to find it was the 10k marker.  I was walking most of the flat areas and the uphills.  I ran limited miles and downhills, along with the final .3 miles. 
What was funny is that I kept pace with the 10 minute mile group.  I was talking with the other runners.  I believe that my walking pace might have made some people mad.  I ended up passing this group at mile 8.  I finished with a time of 2:14:05.  Not bad.
The next day was the very hilly, cold, windy, and rainy Redding Half Marathon.  The weather did a number on my knees.  By mile two my knees locked up.  I went to my stand by of a 5-1 interval.  I talked with other runners.  This helped me out. I was able to regain my composure and run stronger.
I hit mile 10, last year's wall, and powered through.  I picked up my pace over the trail during mile 11.  Mile 12 had some uphills that kicked my butt.  At one point I heard someone's watch say 2:05:00.  I could not believe my ears. 
I took off, conquerored the hill, took off downhill, hit the left, ran through the barn, turned right, and excellerated across the finish line.  To my surprise my chip did not work.  I estimated my time at 2:08:45.  Later in a picture and a video I saw a friend who ran the 7 mile road race (she started 30 minutes after me). This means I finish sub 2:08:00.  Very impressive.
On Sunday May 8 I ran the Swamp Meadow Covered Bridge Half in Rhode Island.  Everyone said how flat RI is.  This is a lie.  It was 13.1 miles of rolling hills.  On top of all of this it was cold, raining, and 15-20 mile per hour winds.  This had running up the hills so much fun.
The rain was suppose to start 90 minutes into the race.  I would be at least 9 miles in, so the rain would not be bad.  Well this did not occur.  4 miles in the rain started.  By mile 9 my shoes and socks were soaked, part of the run was on trails so my shoes and legs were covered in mud, and it felt like my shoes gained 5 pounds each.  My knees were killing me.  I powered through this.  My 5-1 intervals worked great.
I finished with a time of 2:08:35.  To my surprise I won third place in my age group.  And yes there were about 6 people.  I actually placed in my age group.  Amazing.
On May 15 my entire family ran Mystic Hlaf Marathon.  It is a great run.  The scenery is breathtaking.  The back end of the half is hilly.  (I forgot to tell you that I sprained my right ankle at Redding).  So I started with the 2 hour group.  The guide went out hot.  We were pacing at 8:45 per mile by mile three.
I slowed down and figured I needed to save some energy for the end of the race.  I was keeping my pace at what I needed to end my race sub 2 hours (6.55 miles in and my time was less than one hour).
At miles 8-9 we ran in an area that was road but looked more like trails (and there were potholes).  This was two miles of uphills.  At mile 10 my ankle was hurting me.  I was still on pace for a sub 2 hour half.  Miles 11-12 were tough.  At mile 12 I could pick up my pace and make the sub 2 hour half.
During mile 12 there was an area of uphills.  My right ankle could take no more.  I could barley apply pressure.  I had two choices run and need surgery or give up the sub 2 hour half.  I started to walk.  Well there goes sub 2 and say hello to 2:05:00-2:10:00.  I finally got up the hill.  My body said run the down.  I started to run and my ankle could take the pressure.  I hit the left hand turn.  Then there was a right into the final .1 mile.  I could see the finish line.  I crossed with a time of 2:02:27.  Great time.  My son finished with a time of 2:27:something and my wife finished with a time of 2:31:something.
We stayed for the awards.  My son thought he placed in his age group.  He won third.  After they announced all the female and male winners I heard my name called.  I was amazed and shocked.  The race announced the winner of the Physically Challenged athletes.  I won first place.
This weekend I will be running a half in Maine.  I am excited and looking forward to this run.
I hope you have an exciting weekend.  Get out and enjoy the weather.
Take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #571 on: May 23, 2016, 02:01:30 AM »
Hello everybody,
Today was an adventure and a dream come true.  I signed up for a race series through 3C Race Productions and today's half marathon was in Edgecomb, Maine (Fort Edgecomb Half Marathon and 5K).  During the previous race with 3C, in Rhode Island, the race director told me this was the race I wanted to run.  It would be challenging and hilly he said.
So I was trying to find a fellow runner, or friend, that would like to drive and/or run with me.  Initially I was unable to find someone to go with me.  I sent messages and posts on Facebook to see if anyone would go.  Things were not looking good.  On Friday one of my fellow runners and friend stepped up and said he would go with me. 
So I woke up at 3:00 am Sunday morning.  I got ready and drove to my friend's place.  We hit the road at 4:00 am.  We had a 250 mile, 4 hour, drive.  It was not a bad drive.  Sunday morning, and it being very early, made a big difference.  We arrived at the race in about 4 hours.
The race director, and his family, we're glad to see me.  I ended up talking to a volunteer, a local, about the race.  He said the race was not hilly.  The first mile has some hills and then it's flat.  We started the race on time.  And true to his word the first mile was hilly.
What he was wrong about was to come.  The race was one hill after another, after another, after another.  It was 6.55 miles of up and down hills.  Since we had to turn around there was another 6.55 miles of what seemed like endless hills.
At mile 3 I said that the person who said this was not a hilly run must have been driving the course.  At the end of the run I was talking to another runner.  I asked if she was a local.  Yes she was a local.  I told her what the volunteer said to me about the course not being hilly.  Her words "he must have been driving in a car".  She said that the day before it was 80 degrees and it would have been a miserable run.  (It was in the 50s today).
I never thought I would run a half in Maine.  I reached one of two goals today.  First was running a half in Maine.  And second running a half in 7 different states this year.  I have 5 states so far (CT, Mass, NH, RI, and Maine so far.  I need Vermont and NY).
I hope your weekend was eventful...take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #572 on: May 29, 2016, 03:03:42 AM »
Hello everybody,
I ran-walked my fifth half marathon this month, 13th this year, and 27th in 17 months.  I would have to say this was my favorite half.  No I did not set a new best time.  No it was not an easy course.  No it was not the most difficult course.
Let me tell you about my day and you will see why this was my favorite run.  To begin with, I ran the Hamden Hills Half Marathon.  Or as I called it the Hamden Hells Half.  It was extremely hot (upper 80s with what seemed like 100% humidity), humid, and hilly.  Nothing that would cause me to say I am not running today.  As of this morning I could say I never ran this course.
When I arrived early to pick up my bib the volunteer and race director asked "where is your son"?  (We are known as the father and son runners.  Or by my other given name Miles's father).  Other runners came over to me and asked where is your son?  He wants two run 2 half marathons next month (back to back Sunday's so he is saving his energy).
It is now getting closer to the race time.  The race director gives us some last minute instructions and we are off.  I set my intervals to a 6-1.  Hopefully I can cut some time off my race.  I am feeling good.  The first two miles are in a shaded trail.  I am moving up the pack.  I am not feeling the heat, not yet.
I hear the beeps and start to walk.  One minute is up and I start running.  I am passing people.  I am not pushing too hard.  Still feeling good.  Another runner catches up to my area and yells to a family member "8:29". I about had a heart attack.  We are at the one mile mark.  I ran this in 8:29.  And I am not on the floor dying?
I continued my 6-1 for the next mile slowing down my pace.  We have not hit a hill nor have we left the covered trail.  At the end of mile two we had to run up a zig-zagging single file trail.  This dumped the runners out on our first major uphill climb.  We were baking in the sun.  And that is where the humidity kicked in.  I started sucking down water.  No way was I going to dehydrate.
By mile 3 I was in a pack of runners.  My 6-1 interval was working great.  I was keeping up a fast pace with time to rest.  There was one runner that I would pass and as soon as I started to walk she would catch up to me. 
By mile 4 I asked her if she would not mind if I ran with her.  Our pace was almost the same and we were not going to set a PR.  I introduced myself and asked her about her life.  This took us through miles 4-7.  We would run and walk when needed.  It was a fantastic strategy.  We were pacing at 9:19 per mile.
By the time we hit the water station during mile 6 the water and Gatorade was warm.  It was undrinkable, but we needed this to keep hydrated.  Fortunately I have a 50 ounce hydration backpack.  I did not need to drink the water.
Sorry for the detour but it is necessary for the story.  We were told to hydrate at mile 8.  Mile 9 has many down hills and mile 10 is the hill from hell.  After the uphill climb you will hit the final water staton.
So we are moving at a fast pace.  We hit the hydration during mile 8.  The water was hot and tasted funny.  I had to force down the warm Gatorade.  It was not the fault of the race, it was hotter than hell outside.
My running buddy was feeling the heat.  She forced down the water.  I was pouring it over my head.  We enjoyed mile 9 because of the downhills.  Mile 10 nearly made my running buddy DR herself.  She was struggling in the uphills.  She kept saying run ahead, I am sorry for slowing you down, you do not need to run with me, or if you want to run faster it is ok.
As a person with knee issues I need assistance.  I have had others help pace me during races or like last week drive me 4 hours so I can run.  I believe in running karma.  Sometimes you give and sometimes you receive assistance.  It was my turn to give.
There was no way I was leaving her behind.  (At mile 5 we talked about finishing the race together.  I was sticking to my promise).  I kept asking questions and having her talk.  This way I could make sure she was ok.
We made it through the hill of hell.  Now we could see the final hydration stop.  Again, because of the heat there was something off with the taste of the water and Gatorade.  I was able to pour the water over my head and drink from my pack.  She was not.
We hit a downhill area, before getting back to the zig-zag part of the covered trail.  My buddy was able to run in these areas.  Once we got off the zig-zag trail I could tell she was not feeling well.  We walked.  I made sure not to press the pace.  She told me she felt like she was going to throw up.  (I knew what this ment.  The heat caught up to her).  She wanted me to run ahead and finish the race.  There was no way I was going to do this.
Miles 11-12 were rough.  I kept asking questions, slowing down the pace, and making sure my running buddy could continue.  As we pushed on she wanted me to leave her.  I could not.  She was telling me she felt like she had to vomit.  I told her to slow down.  Do not worry about the time.  There are good and bad running days.  This day was not so good.  She smiled,took a deep breath, and continued to walk.
Finally we could see the 13 mile marker.
We crossed the finish line at 2:17:47.  Not setting a new record.  Once we finished I made sure she had cool water and a place in the shade.  We talked with other runners as I watched her feel better.  Once she was feeling up to it she thanked me and left to meet up with her family.
Today the running Gods were smiling down upon me.  I gave up my sub 2:05:00 half to help another achieve her goal. 
I hope your Saturday was eventful.  I have another half on Monday.  This will be the first time I ran-walked 6 half marathons in a month.
Take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #573 on: May 30, 2016, 06:17:46 PM »
Hello everybody,
And yes I am back to posting on a more regular basis.  Today I ran my 14th half marathon of the year, 6th in a month, and 7th in 31 days.  Man am I tired.
As I stated in my previous post I believe in running (or intervaling) karma.  Today was overcast and raining.  This messed with my knees.  I did not feel this pre race.  I was stretching and moving around.
We got called to the starting line 10 minutes before the race.  There were the pre race announcements and other activities and protocols.  We were getting ready to run and then there was an issue.  We had to wait 10 minutes.
I guess during this down time my knees did not like the weather.  I could feel one leg tightening up.  Not that bad.  As we got to the starting line I was feeling it more and more.  Then I heard the words "runners ready, set, and go".  Off we went.
I saw my friend who drove with me to Maine so I caught up to him.  It was early in the race but I was feeling the right knee not cooperating.  I caught up to my friend and we talked.  He asked me if I was intervaling.  Not today the weather is messing with my knee.  As I said this I could feel the left leg rebelling.  Today was not going to be fun.  A half mile in and I was already walking.  So much for a PR today.
The ran was advertised as a flat course where runners could PR.  Let me tell you if this course is flat than I am a millionaire (and for the record I am not a millionaire).  The first lap was a shortened lap to get in the 1.1 miles needed.  We hit the turn around and went back the way we came.  We had a nice down hill drop to the area where the odd number laps would be counted (and video tapped).  The only issue is after turning around you had to climb back up the hills (not fun on knees that were locking up).
I decided if I was going to have a walking day I would encourage other runners along the way.  I was high-fiving and yelling (in a good. positive way) at the half and full marathoners.  They loved this. 
My plan was to walk the flat areas and hills and "run" the downhill areas.  It was a good plan.  I was able to maintain some sort of pace (the uphills killed me).
The other issue I had, and other runners had, was once we left the roads the trail running was on a small sidewalk.  It was slippery and difficult to pass.  What made matters worse is that runners were running out and back on the same path.  I almost got run over multiple times.  And if you needed to pass someone you had to run in the grass.  At the end, where the turn-around was, there was a big tree and you had to avoid the branches.
Once you hit the turn-around all the down hills were up hills and there were many.  And all the up hills were down hills (and there were few).  Then you were taken back to the road and had to deal with the up and down hills.  The best part was making a right and having the long down hills to the turn around where your laps were counted.
The half marathoners had to cross this area 7 times.  By the fourth time (mile 7) I was soaked from the rain and sweat.  My shoes weighted, what seemed like, 5 pounds each.  I could tell my feet would be filled with blisters.  And my clothing started to feel heavy (none of it was- tech shirt, running shorts, and running tech socks...but they were drenched in water).  And once the rain stopped the humidity kicked in (at least the sun was not out).
By mile 9 I was questioning my sanity.  How much longer could I take this.  A group of us were cheering each other on and saying "are we having fun yet?"  There was a runner I was keeping up with.  I would pass her and then I would have to walk.  She would pass me.  There would be a down hill and I would pass her.  I used her to keep my pace.  At one point I passed her and she did not catch me.
At mile 11 there was one more lap.  I had to dig deep to keep focused and finish.  The challenge was not mile 12 it was mile 13.  Mile 12 had more down hills, than up hills, and I could feel the turn around.  I was feeling good close to mile 12.  I was still walking but I knew I was getting closer to the finish.
Once I hit the turn around and had to go up hill the reality of mile 12-13 kicked in.  The up hills were killing me.  I power walked up the trail.  Hit the arches and pushed through.  I got across the street and hit another up hill challenge.  I was passing people walking slower than myself.  More up hills and then we hit the road.
There was a small down hill so I started to run.  I could feel I had nothing left (my knees were locking and the weight of my shoes were being felt in my muscles).  I had to walk.  I climbed up a smaller incline and ran the down.  I had nothing left so I started to walk.
I was close the the final right and the down hill area.  At this point I saw another half marathoner who finished the race.  He was yelling at me to push it and run.  I told him my knees would not let me (he had no idea I am a disabled athlete).  He yelled forget your knees and run.  I yelled back I can not do this.  Somehow I dug deep and found the energy and strength to run.  I hit the down hills and took off (not like I normally would but somewhat fast for today).  I knew I was getting close.  I could see the finish line.  One more right, under a tree branch, and a semi-circle and I was crossing the finish line.
I could not believe I made it.  It the beginning of the race I could barely run.  Now I crossed the finishing line.  I was hoping for a 2:35:00 time.  This did not occur. 
After I crossed the finishing line I needed to see if my bib showed.  I looked at the timer and it showed 2:15:01.  Amazing.  I could not believe this.  Soaking wet I got my finisher's medal and went to a corner to cheer on the other runners.
Now I am home relaxing and doing the laundry.
I hope your Monday was as eventful as mine...
Take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #574 on: June 04, 2016, 06:27:04 PM »
Hello everybody,
Tomorrow is another half marathon for me.  What do I do before the big run?  I walked 6 miles.  Then I volunteered with the beginning running group.  All said and done I ran 3 miles and walked 7 miles.
On Thursday I broke in a new pair of running shoes. I love the Bondi 4s.  So I went for a 5 mile walk.  And you know me I walked more than 5 miles.  I turned this into a 7 mile walk.  Which turned into an 8 mile walk.  Finally I hit my wall at 10 miles.  I paced out at 12:33 per mile.  Not bad for a walk.
Tomorrow there is rain, and the possibility of lightening. So we received an email about a possible delay, what to do in case you have to seek shelter, or if nothing occurs.
Tomorrow my son and I  run in the Iron Horse Half Marathon.  This is our 8th half we have run in.  It is my 15 half marathon this year.  We are looking forward to the run.
Well nothing else exciting going on.
Have a fantastic weekend and have fun,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #575 on: July 12, 2016, 03:46:45 AM »
Hello everybody,
Sorry for not posting in some time.  I have been busy with work.  I never say what my job is, what industry I work in, and where I work because it is not me.  I am more than my job.  With this being said I ended a six year chapter in my career and will be starting a new one soon.  I take each and every opportunity to learn and grow from my experiences.  I know this next chapter will make me a better, stronger, and wiser person.
I noticed I did not post about my son and my Iron Horse experience.  First let me say that I am so proud of my son.  He has been an inspiration and motivation for me.  On the day of the run we woke up early, got out on the road and prepared for the event.  He fell asleep while going to the race.  This was great since he would need all his strength.
When we got to the event we helped out at the Achilles International tent.  It was great seeing fellow disabled athletes and guides.  We got to catch up, share stories, and tell about our events.  Then it was time to run.
We got in the 2 and a half hour group.  Yes we knew he would do better than this.  But I did not want to push him so early.
We took off at the gun and hit the interval timer.  He was excited to push the 4-1 pace.  Iron Horse is a double loop and you have to pass the area where the finish line is and go around a different loop.  It has some wicked hills.  On top of all of this it was raining.  No bad to cool you down, but by mile 9 your shoes feel like they weigh 5 pounds each.
We took advantage of the cooler weather and got off to a good start.  The front half of the course went as planned.  We walked some of the ups and ran the downs.  We passed by the finishing area and headed towards the back half.
This is where the water and rain was taking its toll.  Our clothes were soaked.  They felt like we were carrying weights.  By mile 9 I could tell my son was feeling it.  (Also we were passed by another runner from our running group, Glastonbury River Runners, who is not faster than us).  I needed to motivate my son.  I tried two different items.  I told him my time from last year and said he was on track for a new PR.  This normally would work but I could tell the weight of his shoes was getting to him.  Then I brought out the big surprise.  If he could beat a 2:20:00 race I would run with him at Lime Rock the following week (he wanted to run Lime Rock but I wanted to see how he would handle Iron Horse) and on top of these we would train up to 16 miles.  (He wants to run a marathon in 3 years). 
I saw the look in his eyes, the sense of urgency and excitement, and his overall body language change.  He pick up his pace.  We blew by our fellow runner (from GRR) and never looked back.  Our final 3 miles were quicker than any other 3 miles in this race.  We were passing HMF ambassadors, other experienced runners, and picking up our pace.  People were cheering him on.
We grabbed each other's hand and crossed the mat together.  A new PR for him, and a minute faster time than my pervious year's time, with a time of 2:15:00.  He placed in his age group and I was first place for disabled athletes.
The following week we hit the one race he was dying to run.  It is one of the most difficult races in our state.  He wanted to conqueror the hills of Lime Rock.  Also he thought it was cool that the race started and ended on an actual race track (Lime Rock Speedway).
So this race we started near the front.  He was listening to me.  We did our 4-1 intervals.  I made sure he had extra Gus and water.  This is a hot and hilly event.
We ran though the speedway making our way up and down the track.  Eventually we hit the road and made a left into the community.  This is where the fun begins.  Uphill, in the sun, and no shade.  I made sure he was talking to me.  We would walk when he needed.  We would find shade when he needed this.
Miles 3-5 were mainly uphill.  He was feeling this.  We kept pushing.  Pouring water all over him at each aid station.  We were getting closer to mile 6 when he saw the nasty uphill.
We finally made it.  Now the downhill push.  I told him to remember that we have to climb back up this area.  We had .55 of a mile to go to hit the turnaround.  We finally made it half way.  And now we have to do the course in reverse.  (All e downs become ups and all the ups become downs).
On our way back we saw a turtle and were joined by a dog. For some reason the down wanted to follow me.  He would run with us for 4 minutes and walk during our minute rest.  If I started to move left so did the dog.  My son got a kick out of this.  It also took his mind off the hills.
We made it back through the uphill climb and were at the aid station.  We got some water and started the mainly down hill run.  This was easier on my son.  We kept going down, down, and down the hills.  The heat was taking its toll on all the runners.  The one exception was the dog.  Which I said he was cheating since he joined us during mile 6.
Eventually we made it back to the racetrack enterance.  We were at mile 11.  Now you had to run back to the parking lot, past the enterance to the track, and back on the speedway.  There was over a mile to run in the hot open speedway.  No more water stops.  Just you and the road.
To motivate my son I told him my time last year.  He knew he would beat this.  He kept his 4-1 intervals going.  He kept moving.  He knew where he was in relationship to the finish line.  He was asking about getting icecream after the race.
I told him whatever he wanted if he finished strong.  We hit the final corner and could see the finish line. Me was excited knowing he conquered the heat, hills, and speedway.  We grabbed each other's hand as we crossed.  2:26:52. 
He beat my time by almost 8 minutes and was first in his age group.  What a spectacular way to end our half marathons in Jume.  We will be running our July half this Sunday in Massachusetts.  Looking forward to another great running adventure.
Take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #576 on: July 13, 2016, 02:57:52 AM »
Hello everybody,
You know what is great about being on vacation?  I get to catch up on my postings.
So I left off on the Lime Rock Half Marathon.  After this, earlier in the year, I was scheduled to run e Fairfiled Half Marathon.  My home running club, the Gkastonbury River Runners, had a 5k scheduled for the same day.  I helped with this event.  On top of this my friend's 7 year old son wanted to run this with me.  How could anyone say no to a 7 year old who wants to run with you?  (I never paid for the half marathon so I had no issues here).  And if this was not enough, the FireCracker 5k was the first event my son and I walked (and ran) together (and it was the first race of both us).
I volunteered for early bib pickup on Friday and Saturday.  People were coming in and I got to talk with them, explain the course, and ask about their running experiences.  Along with this I got to registrar new people in the event.  On Sunday my son and me got to the race early to help with bib pickup and same day registration. Again I got to meet a lot of the runners.
As we got closer to the starting time my wife showed up (yes she ran the event).  About 5 minutes before the start we were called to the starting line.  I made plans with Eli so he would not go out hot and burn out.  We decided on a 3-1 interval. He set the pace, and determined if we needed to walk.  He was excited about this.
 Soon the race started.  It is a hilly, and hot, 5k.  We were keeping pace with Eli.  He was listening and loving the 3-1 interval.  To my surprise he ran up the hills.  The 3 of us followed.  Around half way in he was feeling the hills and the heat.  I told him if he needed to walk let me know.  So he started to walk more and more. 
He was into the race.  As we got closer to the end he started running more and finished strong (41:42).  Good job for a 7 year old.  He got his medal and we all went out for breakfast.
My wife on the other hand was ready to run.  She finally listened to me and walked up the hills and ran down the hills (there is a technique to running down the hills so you do not strain your back, knees, and leg muscles).  She was flying through the course.  She ran a sub 29:00 5k.  In the end she took third place in her age group.  This is the first time she ever placed in an event.  We are very proud of her.
My next race was on Sunday July 10, the Saratoga Springs Half Marathon.  My good friend, mentor, guide, and lucky charm Mike drove us. I call him my lucky charm because whenever we run together I set a new PR.
When we got to NY the weather was not good.  It was cold, overcast, and raining.  My knees were not happy.
I was cramping up before the race.  I kept stretching but nothing worked.
As we were called to the start I said what the hell let's start in the 2:00:00 group.  Off we went.  Our pacer was flying (she went out burning hot).  The pace for a 2 hour half is about 9:10 per mile.  She was running 8:35.  I could not keep up.
During mile 1 both knees locked up.  I was not happy.  I was thinking about DQing myself.  As we hit mile 2 I was not happy.  But I kept moving and hoping I would start to loosen up.  The rain was coming down and the skies were not so gray.  By mile 3 I was getting ready to walk.  I said one more mile and I am thinking about walking.  At mile 4 I told Mike to run ahead of me. He was staying with me. I was afraid that if I started to walk I would not be able to run anymore.
At this point Mike took control.  He paced me.  This is what I needed.  The next several miles were a blur.  I knew I had to keep the pace and remain focused.  By mile 9 the rain stopped and this caused other issues.  Our clothes were soaking wet and added weight that I did not account for.  On top of this my shoes felt like they were 5 pounds each.  This made for a somewhat slow final 3 miles.
During miles 10-13 I had no fuel in the tank.  There would be no kick at the end.  Only pure will power to continue.   During mile 12 I remember saying to myself if this right turn does not get us back to the parking lot I give up.  I will walk from here. And to my sanity it was the turn I was hoping for.  We make it across the parking lot and crossed the finish line. I saw our unofficial time.  Could this be the day I earn my sub 2 hour half?
We go to the results tent. The guy punches in my number...and son of a...2:00:08.  Off by 9 seconds.  No kick ment no sub 2 hour.  Oh well maybe next time.  I am thrilled with my new PR on such a lousy day to run (for me).
Next time I will tell you about my training and my first, last and only trail running experience.
Take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #577 on: July 18, 2016, 06:10:06 PM »
Hello everybody,
As promised I am going to tell you about my first real trail running experience.  Before I get into this I say real trail running because I did run on a trail before.  It is one where people bike and run on.  It is dirt with some rocks and roots.  Nothing that technical nor abusive.  It is a somewhat easy run.
Last Tuesday I ran on the trails in Hebron with a local running store, Sound Runner (I highly recommend this store).  We met up and ran the "not so technical trail".  We if this was not technical I am in big trouble.  The area is in a dense forest, dirt path (at times difficult to follow), rocks, roots, tree branches, trees, water, slippery rocks, shadows, animals, bugs, sever up and down hills, tall grass, etc. to keep you on your toes (as the saying goes).
I had to stay and remain focused the entire run.  I was looking down to survey the terrain and see where my next step or two would be taken, look up to see what is in front of me, and continue to repeat this for the 2.8 miles we ran.  All I can say was I was physically and mentally exhausted at the end of the run.  Looking at the trail, seeing where I can place my next two steps, looking up to see what is coming, figuring how to get over a fallen tree, branch, rock, root, etc, planning for an incline, figuring where to step next, and the the downhills (seeing where the roots, rocks, other people are, the angle and where to place my feet, to walk or to jog, etc) were amazing. During the run our guide Jud (yes this is his last name) yells out "deer".  I got a glimpse of the deer running away because I was looking down.
Overall I would say I would never do this again.  Not because it is mentally and physically exhausting, but because I love it so much.  I could see myself running trails every Tuesday night this summer (yes this is part of a summer series...and it's free).  Also I could see myself taking a big fall, slamming my legs, and blowing out my knees. It is not worth the risks.
I am thankful to have had this opportunity and even more so that I am able to interval, walk, and run races.  I am not going to push my luck on the trails.  I am forever thankful for this opportunity and will always remember my one trail run.
Hope you are out experiencing something new...
Take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #578 on: July 24, 2016, 03:01:16 PM »
Hello Everybody,
Sorry I have not posted I have been enjoying some family and vacation time.  Going back through my posts I noticed I never posted about the Twin Reservoirs Half Marathon.  This race was put on by the folks at 3C Race Productions.  If you have not participated in one of their events I highly recommend it.  This race took place in Massachusetts.  It was one of the flattest runs they have put on (that I have taken part in).  It was very hot and humid that day (July 17).
I was fortunate enough to have the company of my son and friend Magic Mike.  Today I would be running with my son and Mike would be running on his own (he set a new PR for himself and we would not be able to keep up with him).  This event has 4 loops (one small individual and three larger loops), so if you are not a fan of running the same thing over and over this race is not for you.  The major benefit to this run is the unbelievable scenery.
The event started early so we were not frying from the first moment.  My son had issues with the heat and humidity.  As we were talking I told him that the Bristol Half (in August) is much hotter than this.  His eyes rolled and I could tell he was not amused.  He asked if he had to run the Bristol Half with me.  He was thrilled to find out I did not purchase this race, well not yet, because I wanted to see how he could handle the run in Massachusetts.
During the first loop my son kept asking to stop and walk.  (I was not pushing the pace).  We were talking and I told him that since the summer started he has not been going outside and walking/running.  He gets up early and this would be the best time for him.  Instead he waits until after 10:00am to go outside (this is way too hot for him).  We are still at the same place of him not wanting to go outside and train.  Such is life.
We get through the first loop and come back to the shaded area.  Now he is feeling better and able to pick up the pace.  He stars talking about video games, programing, politics, etc. and we are moving faster.  As we approaching the end of the tree line I slow down the pace.  We are now surrounded by two lakes and a path to run on.  The volunteers are pointing us to the larger loop trail.
We can see birds, fish, turtles, and other runners.  Again we see another area of tree and my son smiles as we hit the tree line and shade.  We are getting close to the aid station.  As we exit the trees I run a head of him.  I grab two waters and a Gatorade for him.  I spill one water over his head and he drinks the liquids. 
Off we go into the area of "baking".  As you can guess this is the area not covered by an trees.  There is noting there to block out the sunlight.  It is at least a mile of heat and humidity.  As we approach the end of this area we can see some trees and a building.  Once we get around this area we are back in the sun.  There are several more miles of turns, small shaded areas, and one more aid station.
The good thing is we were using our hydration packs.  The bad thing is these packs made us sweat.  We were able to combat some of the heat and humidity with the packs.  (Around mile 11 my son ran out of water in his pack so we had to share what was left in mine).
We make it around the first loop (heading towards the starting line) and go back for more of the same punishment.  This time we completed the second lap faster than the first.  When we are near the last half mile there is a nice incline.  My son is not a fan of this area.  I made sure we were walking through the incline.
As we see the starting area (and close to the turnoff for the finishing line) my son says "papa we can skip the last lap and cross the finishing line and nobody would know we did not run the last lap" (he was joking around since we were not even close to being the fastest runners on the course).
We headed into the final lap.  As we entered the shaded area I noticed there was another running around my son's age.  I was going to use the other runner as a motivating factor in this event.  I told me son that if he could pass this other runner he would be able to place in his age group.  My son starts arguing with me about that there are other runners on the course and that he would not place.
I left this go and tried to pick up the pace.  Every time we got close to this runner my son would need to walk.  This kept on occurring and was getting frustrating.
I knew if we could catch him near the aid station my son would eventually pass him.  By the time we got to the aid station we were very close to the other runner.  I was waiting to make our move.  For the next mile we kept close to the other runner.  At one point, on the part of the "bake", I picked up our pace.
I noticed my son did not mind.  I was making sure he was talking to me.  At around mile 11 we made our move.  We hit a shaded area and picked up the pace even more.  I had my son take a Gu and drink water at our next interval (we were running a 4:1 interval).
That was it.  From this point on we never looked back.  The next 2.1 miles were tough.  The sun was baking us, our muscles were getting tired, and we needed a rest.  But we kept on moving.  Soon we were at mile 12.  We knew we had to dig deep.  At the final aid station there were no more cups so we had to drink from the coolers.
One more mile left.  We could feel the finish line.  We could see the final incline.  Coming down and taking the sharp left.  One more right turn and then across the finish line.  And what occurred?  My son placed in his age group.
Even though it was hot, humid, and we had to walk it was a great day running/walking with my son.
Take care,
Mr. F
Oh-next time I will tell you about my training and a 30 day ab challenge I am currently part of.

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #579 on: July 30, 2016, 02:41:32 PM »
Hello everybody,
Here I am on vacation.  Enjoying some down time with my family.  Pools, water parks, slides, family meals, pictures, and a relaxing time.  Much needed rest.
So before we left I was actively participating in a 30 day ab challenge.  I have tried to do this challenge twice.  Both times I could not complete the challenge.  Work, meetings, and other daily life items always made this difficult.  I could make it to day 18 and then I would miss a day or two and have to start from the beginning.  There are 4 exercises to do when you take part in this event: sit-ups, crunches, leg lifts, and plank.  You start off with easy, something like 15 sit-ups, 5 crunches, 5 leg lifts, and 10 second plank.  By day 30 you are at an insane amount of every exercise (something like 120 sit-ups, 190 crunches, 68 leg lifts, and 2 minute plank.  (If you want to see the 30 day ab challenge Google 30 day ab challenge.  You will see the picture of a calendar and people performing the 4 different exercises).  I highly recommend this.  I feel my running got stronger because of a stronger core.
As the days went by and there were more and more reps for each exercise I started to watch movies during my workout.  This helped with time management and being able to keep myself motivated (especially when you start hitting 50-60 sit-ups, 80-90 crunches, 40 leg lifts, and planking after your abs are on fire).  I will be starting round two shortly.
My next challenge will be push-ups.  I am not sure which challenge I will take part in.  On FaceBook there is a page (100x100) I am thinking about joining.  You do 100 push-ups a day for 100 days.  This sounds like fun (I love physical challenges and this sounds very challenging).
Along with this I have been walking almost everyday this summer.  I missed 3 days in June (work, weather, and meetings).  Between my walking, intervals, and running (ha-ha) I logged 248 miles.  At the beginning of the month I was hoping to average 6 miles a day (180 miles for the month).  Instead I averaged over 8 miles a day.
During July I was aiming for 6 miles a day, again (186 miles).  Before we left I was at 253 miles (now around 270).  I can not believe how much I am able to walk, interval, and run (ha-ha).  Last week I walked, interval, and ran (ha-ha) over 100 miles.  Less than 13 miles were intervalled.
I hope your summer, training, and running/walking/intervals are going well.
Take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #580 on: August 03, 2016, 02:10:37 PM »
Hello everybody,
As you know having 8 knee surgeries is not fun.  The fact that I am able to paticipate in so many events is amazing.  This year my goal is to run-walk-interval in at least 24 half marathons (yes I plan on crossing the finish line in all 24 events).  So far is year I have crossed 18 finish lines (1-January, 2-February, 1-March, 4-April, 6-May, 2-June, and 2-July).  If all goes well I will take part in 3 half marathons in August.  We will see what happens after this.
Another goal I set for myself, and did not share, was to walk-interval-run 100 miles per month (1200 miles for the year).  In January and February I was close to this (106 and 107 miles for the first two months).  June and July I changed my training, added in exercises, and walked more.  During June I walked-interval-ran 248 miles.  I was aiming for 6 miles per day.  During July I walked-interval-ran 279 miles. (Just a FYI...I hit the 1200 mile mark during July).   I was aiming for 5 miles a day.  (During July we went on vacation for 6 days).  I have no idea how many miles I will walk-interval-run in August.  Again I am aiming for 5 miles per day. 
On Monday it was overcast and did not rain until later on in the night.  I went out for a walk and wanted at least 8 miles.  I normally start with a lap around the circle (about 0.17 of a mile). My knees were cramping and I needed a new plan.  I did not want to walk 1.5-2 miles from where I live and have to call my wife to pick me up.  So I decided to walk the circle.  I figured if I can walk it 10-20 times I would get in a small distance and if needed stop whenever I wanted.
The strange thing with knee cramps and weather, well at least for me, as I walk my knee pain hits a wall and then it starts to lessen (the knee, joint, feels better and more moveable...if this is a word).  My first 3 laps were not fun.  I could see the dark clouds moving across the sky (and getting lower).  By lap 10 I was feeling frustrated.  My knees were not feeling better.  I knew I had to keep moving.  By lap 20 I needed a change of scenery.  I walked to the front parking lot and walked 2 loops (the area was not good for my knees so I went back to the inner circle).
By the time I hit lap 30 my pace was getting slow.  I could feel the cramping and wondered when my knees would feel better.  Around lap 40, I lost count, I could feel the joints loosing up.  My pace became faster.  My legs felt better.  I was not trying to do the math to see what lap I was on.  I know 8.5 miles in around lap 50.  So once my Runkeeper told me I was at 8.67 miles I knew what lap I was on.
I tried not to figure out how many more laps to walk but the geek in me took over.  To get where I wanted I needed at least 60 laps.  I counted my laps by twos.  This would help me stay focused and let me know how many miles I walked.  2-4-6-8 laps in and I was almost at my goal.  I could see and feel the excitement of the final lap.  As a kept moving I noticed something else.  My pace picked up and I ended up walking the equalivant of 61 laps.  I was tired and elated.
I hope your August 1 was as challenging and rewarding as mine.
Take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #581 on: August 09, 2016, 12:27:40 AM »
Hello everybody,
I am sitting here recovering from this weekend.  On Saturday the entire family went running.  We all took part in the John and Jessie Kelley Road Race.  It is an interesting race.  First it is 11.6 miles (I know why 11.6?) and second it is a free event (all they ask for is a food donation).  My son loves this race. It was his first race 10 miles or greater.  This year the heat, humidity, and evelaton got to him.  (Along with the fact he has not been training this summer).  He has been walking more than running.  Along with this he has been walking instead of running when he does train.  So we walked and ran very slowly. 
My wife has not been training during July.  She has been covering classes at the gym.  My wife is a fitness instructor.  She might not have been training for a race but she has been working on her cardio and strength.  She ran a strong race using a 4:1 interval.  She was looking for a 2:15:00 race, but finished with a time of 2:20:00.  Considering the temperature and course this was impressive.
On Sunday I drove out to New Hamphsire to run in a half marathon.  I was up early and on the road by 5:40.  It was about a two hour drive.  I hit some fog on the way.  Not fun when you can see about 20-30 feet.  But it was all worth it.  The dive through small towns and back streets was incredible.
The race took place at Franklin Pierce University.  I have never been there.  The campus was beautiful.  The day was hot and humid.  On top of this the area was hilly.  Part of the course was "a dirt road".  Which we would find out is not just dirt.
We were taken out to the starting line.  Looking forward you see a hill and another area to climb.  We are sent off to run up the hill, the other area, then a down, back up the other side, run somemore, hit the turn around, and run back past the starting line.  Then you hit the hill on the other side.  After the climb you enter the "dirt path". 
This is about 3 miles of dirt, rocks (not small rocks so I could feel the rocks impact my implants), and hills.  At this point I had to walk.  It was not fun walking through this area.  At several points I tried running (unsuccessfully) and thought about of DQing myself.
After leaving this area we hit paved roads.  This was well needed.  My knees felt much better and I took off.  The hills, heat, and humidity got to me.  I had to walk again.  After hitting the hills I finally got to the turn around point.  Now we had to run the course in reverse.  The ups became downs and the downs became ups.
Again I ran when I could and had to walk when the heat, humidity, and hills kicked in.  At a certain point I had to walk across the "dirt road" again.  This was miserable.  Again I thought of DQing myself.
I finally made it out of the "dirt road" area.  All that was left was one more up hill (which I managed to run), a downhill area (which was fast), a sharp right, downhill again, a left, and then a small run to the finish line.  When I made it out of the dirt road I was thinking I was at at least 2:35:00.  I was hoping to have a 2:40:00 time.  As I reached the final left and looked at the timer I was in shock.  The timer must have been off.  I was feeling empowered and shouted "GO ACHILLES...Let us hear it for disabled athletes".  My official time as 2:17:07 (10:28 per mile).  I was amazed.
I hope your weekend was as memorable as mine. 
Take care and get out and be active..take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #582 on: August 12, 2016, 02:17:09 AM »
Hello everybody,
Well I wanted to go out for a walk, run, or interval this morning.  The issue here lately has been heat warnings and advisories (96 degrees with a heat index of over 105 degrees).  So yesterday and today I did not get out and exercise.  Along with the heat we had storm warnings (floods, hail, and winds 30-60 mph).  This impacted our plans for tonight.  A local running store was hosting a popsicle relay fun run.  With the winds, rains, lightning and floods this event was a no go for us.  We were looking forward to the BBQ after the run.  It was a two person team, mile relay (each person runs a half mile), running with a Popsicle and guessing your time.  The team closest to the actual time (without going over) wins.
On a side note I am still recoding after the 2 events this weekend.  Between the heat, humidity, and hills I leg muscles were complaining.  It is nice to take a break and  relax.  (The half marathon in New Hampshire really kicked my butt).
Besides these two items nothing new and exciting here.
Take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #583 on: August 12, 2016, 11:08:50 PM »
Hello everybody,
Another day another oppressively hot and humid day (98 degrees but it feels like it's 106 degrees).  No running today.  Tomorrow I am going out with my local running club (Glastonbury River Runners).  We are heading out early.  I am going to run, walk, interval 5.5 miles.  I am saving my strength and energy for Sunday.  I have the Bristol Half Marathon.  It is half marathon number 20 for the year.  I am not looking forward to the back half of the course.  Around mile 8 you start to hit the hills and for the next 2-3 miles you hit more hills.
Last year I started strong (well strong for me).  I think it was during mile 5 I did not pay attention.  I was looking to my left and moving right.  I stepped on a sewage cover (one of the metal covers in the road).  There was a difference in the distance I assumed I was stepping and the actual cover.  As my right foot went down I heard and felt a crunch.  For this point on my race was over.  I did not injure myself (I was extremely fortunate), but I did not want to take any chances.  I walked most of the final 8.1 miles. 
This year I am going to keep my concentration, keep hydrated (heat and humidity), and have fun.  I am looking to see some of my running friends at the race.
I hope you get out and do something active this weekend.
Take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #584 on: August 15, 2016, 01:55:42 AM »
Hello everybody,
Today I ran the Bristol Half Marathon.  I was hoping to improve my from last year.  During mile 5 I had a misstep, heard a crunch, and walked about 8 miles.  I finished with a time close to 2:35:00.  I was thinking 2:15:00-2:20:00 this morning.
I got to the race early and stretched out.  My muscles were feeling good and my knees were not in any pain.  My plan was to take it easy and see how far I could run before setting my interval timer.  I remembered the first 1.5 miles were downhill.  This would be an easy start (compared to last week).  It seemed like there were less runners this year.  This could have been because it was unseasonably hot, extremely humid, there were extreme weaher warnings, and the course has 3 miles of insane hills (miles 8-10, and some of mile 11).
At 7:55 we were called to the starting line.  In a strange and unusual move no runners walked up to the line to lead the run.  Everyone was hanging back.  We all knew the heat and humidity would play a factor (the temperature at the start was in the 80s but with the humidity and other factors it felt like it was in the upper 90s...at 7:55am).  Finally some runners took the starting positions.  There was the National Anthem, speeches, and then the instructions for the start of the race (we would hear a cannon fire).
The cannon goes off and we start running.  I am feeling good.  The downhills are the parts of the course I love the most.  You use less energy and can pick up time.  I am controlling my pave and feel good at the 1 mile mark.  By the time we hit the end of the hill, run forward about .3 miles, and make a left everything is going to change.  We are running into the sun.  We start what I call "the bake".  4 miles of sporadic shade and untrelenting heat.  On top of this my cap is holding in heat draining me of energy.  In about .2 miles I needed to set my interval timer.
This was not the worse of it all.  My knees, not my muscles, start to cramp and lock.  (I have no ideal what caused this).  I walk for a minute and my timer goes off.  I start to run but something is off.  I am having difficulty bending.  I slow down my pace to see if this helps.  I am running and walking when needed (off my interval).  By mile 2 everything is going to change, again.
As I hit mile 2 I start to walk.  (There is a small hill).  I figure I will save some energy.  As I hit the top of the small hill I figured I would run down the hill.  Not going to occur.  My knees are locking up.  There are 2 options: walk or DQ myself.  There was no way I was going to DQ myself in mile 2.  So I decided to walk.  We make another left, hit a long road that leads us into a park.  There is a gravel path.  I am walking and people are passing me.  People are encouraging me to run (little do they know I am experiencing difficulties with my knees).  I finally make it to the back half of the trail.  It is in the shade.  I figure I would try and run.  I take three steps and my right foot lands awkwardly.  I stop running and continue my walk.
I am entering mile 4 and feeling the sun.  I have stopped at every water station (drinking water and Gatoraid).  Also I have a 22 ounce hand held container I am carrying.  (I filled it up at least 3 times).  I know exactly were I am at.  During mile 4 you can feel the sun baking you.  I keep moving.  I am picking up my pace and catching some of the runners who passed me. 
We finally hit a turn around.  I am having flashbacks of last year.  I move to the sidewalk to avoid the road.  No issues here this year.  I am now in mile 5.  It was a fast mile.  No issues.  I am using 2 runners to push my pace.
When I am close to mile 6 I have passed both runners.  One of the runners is not prepared.  She needs some energy and does not have anything with her.  She asked if I had a Gu I could spare.  (I really did not, but I believe in running karma and gave her a Gu).  That was the last time I saw her.
I made a right turn and was in mile 6.  This mile is on a major road.  I could hear the DJ and music.  This kept me motivated.  And yes we were baking as the temperature kept going up (with everything we are experiencing what feels like 100 degrees).  We are sent across the road and soon we need to make a left. 
We are hitting the back end of the course.  The hills will be alive with the sounds of panting.  As we make the left you can see a small, but drastic, uphill climb.  Most people are not running.  I use my power walk to make it up the hill and pass some more runners.  Mile 7 has some downhill and uphill climbs. 
We make a turn and now we hit mile 8.  It begins with a nice uphill, steep and drastic, climb.  I am power walking and catching up to people who previously passed me.  For miles 8-10 we are basically going uphill.  It is miserable.  I am passing more and more people by walking.  Finally I hit the big hill in mile 10.  Now there is a downhill  area (getting close to mile 11).  I tried running the downhill, but it was not going to occur).
I am keeping focused and keeping my head in the game.  My core is on fire, and a dripping wet, my feet hurt, but at least I am moving forward.  I am trying to use tangents to cut off distance and time (if you are not sure what tangents are look up running tangents and you will understand why I and other runners use them).
Miles 11-12 are hot and miserable.  Once I hit mile 12 I was happy.  I made a right and had to avoid the speeding cars and heat.  I made a left.  This was the road that leads to the finish line.
At this point I could not believe that I was not being passed by more runners.  I am walking and they are running.  At mile 12.8 I was passed by a runner (I believe he was part of the relay team).  He flew by me encouraging me to run.  I told him I had knee issues.  He kept on moving.
I was getting close to the finishing line.  All that was left was a left turn and I could see the mats and clock.  I knew there was no way I was going to bet my time from last year.  All I was hoping for is a sub 2:55:00 time.  I crossed the mats with a time of 2:41:16 (12:19 pace).  Not bad for walking 11 miles.
I hope your Sunday was more exciting than mine...take care,
Mr. F

support