Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PFR-Knee pain-Who has had this?  (Read 147695 times)

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
Re: PFR-Knee pain-Who has had this?
« Reply #555 on: January 18, 2016, 01:31:46 AM »
Hello everybody,
So I have been nursing a bad back for some time now.  I injured myself in early December.  Exercise and stretching does help some.  Amazing to find that running helps more.  I am not sure why but at least I can get out and do something I love.
Since January 1 I have been thinking about going back to my training like I did when I ran the New York City Marathon. This was very helpful and made me a stronger runner.  I am walking at least 2 days a week and running one day.  This week has been the exception.  I walked at least 3 days (not long walks) and ran 2 days. 
Saturday morning and up until noon it rained.  I was not planning on going for a run.  Around 3:30 I was feeling my legs cramping up.  I decided to go out for a 3-5 mile run.  Nothing fast, strenuous, or lenghty.  I comfortable run around my neighborhood.  During the run I did not use intervals.  I was feeling good and the pace was perfect.  I had on a mapping app on my phone.  I turned off the volume so I would not be influenced to run at a certain pace.  As I was returning home my calculations were off by a little.  Instead of running 3-5 miles I ran 5.57 miles.  My pace was 10:11 per mile.  Not bad.  I needed to save some energy for Sunday.
On Sunday I ran in one of my favorite Connecticut races.  It is the People's Forest Run (8.6 or 17.2 miles).  It is put on by the Hartford Track Club.  The race is $2.  There are no shirts, medals, or bibs.  It is old school. 
Last year this race was one of the most difficult because of the weather.  There was snow, ice, freezing rain, puddles, wind, and hills to compete with.  People and cars were sliding all over the roads.  I remember running behind salt trucks so I could have traction while running.  My overall time was one hour 38 minutes and 37 seconds (pace of 11 minutes 28 seconds per mile.
The weather was better today.  The temperature was 32 with 7 mph winds.  The temperature did drop around 5 degrees.  No ice, snow, or rain.  My goal was to run the 8.6 miles at a pace of 10 minutes per mile.  So I was looking for a 1 hour 26 minute race.
Around 10:00am we all are called to the starting line.  The race is started and I turn on my map application.  I noticed something come up.  I am thinking I am not going to be able to get my miles, overall time, splits, and elevation.  Instead of fooling around with the phone I focused on the run.  Next I set my timer so I can run my intervals.  What I forgot is that the volume was turned off.
Around a mile to a mile and a half in I realized the timer has not gone off.  I was playing with my phone (it is in a holder around my arm.  I can not get to the volume button.  (I keep my phone in a plastic bag so it will not be impacted by the weather.  I have to take off a glove, remove the strap, and open the bag to set the  volume (and do everything in reverse to get it back on my arm).
Now I am set and can run my intervals properly without guessing.  As the first proper internal ends I hear my pace 9:34 per mile.  Can this be correct or did my map app start later on?  The next interval had me at 9:37 per mile.  I am at 2.7 miles.  Still early on so I am not concerned.
As I go from mile 3 to 4 my pace drops.  I am running 9:33 per mile.  Still not bad.  There are many up hills and I am enjoying the run.  So people have passed me but I can still see them.  The temperature drops.  I am heating up so I remove my gloves, unzip my running jacket, and roll up my sleeves.  That does the trick.
Through miles 4 and 5 we are hitting the first bridge and turning back.  Now we hit more down hill areas.  I love to run down hill.  I am keeping a steady pace and not paying attention to the other runners.  I am enjoying the scenery and the course.  My pace is around 9:28 per mile.
Now I am in the no turning back point of the course.  I am holding my own.  Nobody is passing me and I can still see people in front of me.  We are in mile 5-6.  This is where everything changes.  Yes I am still running my 5:1 interval.  All I have taken is water and 2 salt stick caps.  I think I am slowing down.  I am feeling the run.  But my pace says otherwise.  I am running at 9:22 per mile and dropping.
When I hit 6.33 miles I am at one hour.  This means I ran my first sub 60 minute 10k.  (I can not believe this).  During mile 6 to 7 my pace drops to 9:20 per mile.  We pass the other bridge and are heading for the finish line.
Shortly after mile 7 the temperature drops and the clouds move in.  Like other races the weather changes everything (sounds like the Chilly Willy half).  My left knee locks up.  Are you kidding me.  I am going to give up so much time in the final 1.4 miles. 
I make a quick decision.  I am not running intervals.  I will run when I can, walk, and then when I can run again I will do this.  I have no idea what happened next.  But there was another runner pacing off of me.  She was close enough that I could hear her footsteps the entire race.  She caught up to me and we talked.  This helped me get through over a mile.
She passes me and heads towards the finish line.  I have no kick.  She crosses before I do.  I dig deep and run across the finish line yelling "GO ACHILLES".  I stop my map application and look at the time.  Then I asked about my official time.  Official time 1 hour 21 minutes 58 seconds.  This is a 9 minute 32 second pace.  (My time was off by 15 seconds but my pace was dead on). 
This was my first long run that I pace under 10 minutes per mile.  I am on cloud 9 (as the saying goes).
I hope you had an enjoyable weekend. 
Take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #556 on: January 20, 2016, 11:04:49 PM »
Hello everybody,
I have told you about my running goals for 2016.  If you do not remember here are my goals: to run in at least 24 half marathons while raising money and awareness for Achilles International CT Chapter.  I want people to see what a disabled athlete is able to accomplish.
I started to register for half marathons.  I ran my first half on January 1.  So I am preparing for February, March and April races.  I signed up for the Colchester.  The race director saw my youcaring page.  He offered Achilles CT Chapter certain things for his race.  On top of this he donated to my youcaring page.  I was surprised.  I recommend you run in this event if possible.
Another race I signed up for sold out in a day and a half.  The Redding Road Race is amazing.  Choices during this event was 7 miles, a half cow (half marathon) or the full cow (half plus a 5k).  The race director puts out a news letter.  I am the featured runner in the first news letter.  It was amazing seeing my story in the news letter.  The race director read my story and thought it was interesting.
I have run 3 events with 3cRaceProductions.  The races were Lime Rock Park, Thompson Speedway, and e Chilly Willy half marathons.  They put on great events, have a lot of water stations, medals, tech shirts, and great race directors.  Well they have a New England Race Series Package.  I told them about my goals and shared my youcaring page.  They are giving me a drastic discount the race series.  So far 16 half marathons in NY, VT, RI, NH, MA, ME, and CT.  (They are trying to add on 2 more races).  I can not believe how generous 3cRaceProductions is.  This helps me meet my goals without breaking the bank.  I suggest running events with them.  Their race website is http://www.3craceproductions.com/index.php .  The website for the New England Series is https://g2racereg.webconnex.com/nehmtour2016.  (If either of the links have a issue copy and paste them in the URL and it works).
It has been great working with Colchester, Reeding, and 3cRaceProductions. Now we have a survey with Achilles International CT Chapter.  They are looking at our race schedules.  I have the possibilities of running in another 5-7 half marathons with Achilles.  Again this would help out immensely, more races to help me reach my goals.
I hope your week is eventful too...take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #557 on: January 22, 2016, 09:35:24 PM »
Hello everybody....

https://www.youcaring.com/achilles-international-ct-chapter-482021

I am raising money for Achilles International CT Chapter in 2016.  My goal is to run in at least 24 half marathons while fund-raising for Achilles (my son will be joining me on 12 of these runs).  Please donate $10 and share this with your friends, family, and FaceBook pages.  (This is 3-4 cups of coffee at Starbucks...and you will feel much better afterwards knowing you changed somebody's life).

Thank you for donating,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #558 on: January 23, 2016, 05:18:21 PM »
Hello Everybody,

Training run today...I wanted to get in 15 miles. The weather had other plans (with the temperature dropping, winds picking up, and snow starting my knees locked up). I started with a 9 mile run with Glastonbury River Runners and this got me through 11.5 miles (thank you Jackie for running with me). As I was approaching 12.5 miles my knees locked up and I walked the rest. Such is life (when you have knee issues). I ended up with a total of 14.1 miles today. I was loving every step. 2:35:28 with a pace of 11:03 per mile. Take that mother nature...
Miles one and two got me moving.  I need to get use to running in layers.  My wife got me the perfect running jacket.  It is light weight and wind proof.  This was very helpful today with 18-21 mph winds.  (Boy do I love running into the wind).  By mile three I was feeling the weather in my knees (24 degrees, 20 mph winds, and cloudy).  I was cramping something fierce.
I was running with another runner from GRR.  We were talking about life and this helped me move on.  When we got to mile 4 I was struggling.  By mile 6 I found my pace.  As we approached mile 8 I was slowing down.
When we got near the end (mile 9) we decided to continue running.  We added more miles and looped around an area we ran earlier.  Then I added some extra distance.  By mile 11 Jackie was feeling the burn.  We headed back to where we started the run.  At this point I was 11.5-12 miles into my run.  I decided to keep moving.
I wanted to get in 15 miles.  I felt like I could if I ran at a slower pace.  This was fine with me.  I headed out and ran into an area where there is a dog park.  I ran around the parking lot and pack out to the road.  I got about .2 miles away from the park and the weather caught up to me.
The temperate dropped, the winds picked up, the clouds came in, and it started to snow.  Both my knees locked up and that was the end of running for today.  I walked the rest of the way.  During the winter months it is very trying to be a disabled athlete.  One minute you are able to run and the next walking is an issue.
I did not push myself for the extra mile.  It was not worth the injury that would have occurred.  I want to run another day (or walk another day) soon. 
So I am recovering down in the basement.  I am tying away at the computer waiting for my laundry to finish so I can put this load in the dryer and start the second load.  What an exciting way to recover.
I hope your weekend is full of adventure..take care.
Mr. F
Winter Warrior-No fear running in the cold

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #559 on: January 23, 2016, 06:12:44 PM »
Hello everybody,
So I am taking a big risk here....I am willing to run or walk a mile for every dollar raised. (Yes I am counting all my miles since January 1, 2016). If I run and walk less than what is raised in 2016 I will continue this journey into 2017 and beyond. (Hopefully I will be running and walking into the future).

Please copy and paste the url below.  All I am asking for is a $10 donation.  If I can get 100 people to donate that is $1000 (and 1000 miles for me to conqueror).  Please be the change we are looking for.

https://www.youcaring.com/achilles-international-ct-chapter-482021/update/423617

Thank you for your time and donation
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #560 on: January 30, 2016, 12:29:47 AM »
Hello everybody,
Since the weather has not been as brutial as it has been in past years I decided to start my training eariler this year.  My plan is to walk at least 2 days a week and run-walk 1-2 days a week.  So far this has been working out great.  I am feeling stronger and getting ready for half marathon 2 (out of at least 24) in February.
This week I walked 4.4 miles with my son.  We walk-ran 6 miles on Wednesday (69 minutes with a pace of 11 minutes-30 seconds per mile).  And tonight we walked to dinner and home (about another 1.5 miles).
Why did we walk to dinner?  We are all carbing up for our big race tomorrow.  The entire family is runnig the King of Pain 10 Mile Road Race in the hills of South Glastonbury.  This is an invite only event.  You need to belong to the local running club to take part.  (Thank you Glastonbury River Runners).
What makes this race so special?  This is the first time we all are running in a race that is over 5 miles.  My wife is training for her first half marathon (and is no longer suffering from her IT band injury).  And our son is getting over his foor injury.  I my back is finally feeling better.  We are all looking forward to this challanging course.
From the King of Pain until the Colchester Half Marathon I have no other races.  With what I am trying to accomplish this year I have to think about my races and spend money wisely.  (If not I will not be able to run in all the half marathons I want to this year).  I will be getting in lots of training runs.  I am hoping to get in several runs of at least 15 miles.  I want to prepare for the hills this year.
That is what is new and exciting here....oh, remember to donate your $10 to my cause (helping disabled athletes participate in mainstream events...copy and paste the URL listed below):

https://www.youcaring.com/achilles-international-ct-chapter-482021

Take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #561 on: January 30, 2016, 08:32:06 PM »
Hello everybody,
Well today the entire family ran the King of Pain.  It is an incredible, no thrills, event.  It is very challenging.  This was the first year my wife and son ran the event.  For those of us who ran it before, it is the hills that keep us coming back for more.
Last year the weather was an extreme factor.  It was -13 degrees, ice and snow was everywhere, and the wind was clocked at 40 mph.  Today it was 29 degrees and there was a slight breeze.  It was a beautiful day to go for a run.
Once we started the race is somewhat misleading.  During the first mile there are two areas with slight inclines.  There are more downhills than up hills.  The second mile takes care of this.  There are two different areas that have some nice inclines.  When you get to mile three you are enjoying downhill areas.  You are on cruse control and letting gravity assist your run.
You need to run through a resedintial area.  The houses are incredible.  And then you hit the hill wi a nice grade.  Then you hit a downhill area and a turn around.  Then you have to climb the hill again.  After this you are going downhill.  You are using this momentum when you get back on e main road.
You are feeling this high as you enter mile 4.  Then you see the next downhill and uphill climb.  You are feeling good until you hit the intersection.  As you turn left you see it...the hill from hell. 
You ask yourself, "do I waste my energy and attempt to run up this hill, or any part?"  So we decided to walk the up and run the down.  Finally we hit the turn around.  The view from the top of the hill is amazing.  Now we are ready to run the down.
This is the area that you need to be careful not to go out to fast.  If you do you can end up falling and eating the pavement.  We kept control and enjoyed the long downhill run.  We are entering miles 5 and 6.
These miles have more downhill areas than up hills.  We take advantage of this.  We pass some amazing houses and scenery.
As you enter mile 6 you hit an intersection and have to make a right.  And there is another steep incline (a long and steep grade).  Not so much fun.  Finally we reach the top and start running again.  We have some inclines and declines in this area.
Just before mile 7 you hit another intersection and make a left.  Again there is a nice incline and you are now feeling the hills.  The ups and downs take you to another large hill.  Before you get depressed and frustrated, there is a left turn.  So you miss this incline.
You start to run down hill and feel good.  You pass a right turn.  You keep running and hit the bend.  Once you can see where you are going there is another hill to conqueror.  As you are planning to run the rest of the hill you are turning right.  There are some downhill areas that help you keep going.  The two inclines start to kick your butt.  Finally you hit another intersection.  You make a right, go up an incline, and you are near the left turn that gets you out of this area.
As you leave this residential area you hit another incline.  As you get to the top you see the downhill area and stop sign.  You are feeling good.  You are letting gravity assist your run.  Once you hit the stop sign you need to make a right.
As you turn you see it.  Another hill you need to climb.  What makes this worse is that there are several inclines with some plateaus in them.  We run up to the first flat area and start to walk, and walk, and walk.  Finally we hit the apex and start to run.  You are feeling the hills and your muscles.  As you hit the bottom you see the road where you made your first left.
There is one last incline.  You do not want to run up to fast.  You calf muscles are screaming.  But you push on knowing you are less than .4 miles from the finish line.  As you hit the top you can see the downhill.  You start to take off and feel a sense of accomplishment.  You are able to see the school zone speed limit sign.  As you look to your right you can see the finish line.
At this point you dig deep and start to take off.  You see the school, make the right into the parking lot and take off.  It is a wild sprint to the finish.  You are one of 50-55 people who crossed the finish line.  A smile takes over and you are thinking I want to run this again next year.
My son, me, and a friend crossed in a time of 1:56:51 (11:36 per mile).  This is not bad since my son has not run a long event since December 6, 2015.  He injured his foot and this was his first long run in over a month.  My wife finished in 2:13:25.  (She figured it would take her 2:15:00).  (Last year I finish with a time of 2:01:36 so I decreased my time.). We were the only family to have everyone cross the finish line (no other family participated).  I am proud of my son and wife.
I hope you had an eventful weekend.  Tomorrow I might go for a walk and try to get in 100 miles this month.
Take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #562 on: January 31, 2016, 01:41:21 PM »
Hello everybody,
I was on FaceBook this morning and saw an invite to celebrate being a "winter warrior".  For those of you who are not runners, a winter warrior is someone who ran or walked a certain amount of miles a day (every day in Jamuary).  Several groups advertised winter warrior challenges.  No I did not join a winter warrior group.  (I am motivated on my own and thought spending $7-$10 per group was not a smart move since I have my own goals for this year).
Being a disabled runner I thought about the term winter warrior.  We struggle daily to do the smallest, most basic, simple, tasks in life.  We take care of our children and families, work, do chores around the house, socialize, exercise, and do what is necessary to make life better.
No I am not a winter warrior.  I am a winter warrior, a summer warrior, a spring warrior, and a fall warrior.  My life is different then anyone can imagine.  What you take for granted I stuggle to do.  I have been, and still am experiencing pain on a daily basis.
The sad part of all of this is in July I will no longer be legible for a handicapped placard for my car.  Why?  Because I can walk. 
To celebrate my small daily victories I am thinking about taking a walk later on today....
Go out and celebrate a small victory today...
Take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #563 on: February 01, 2016, 12:52:25 AM »
Hello everybody,
Well it is finally over.  No, I am not talking about anything I am doing.  All over FaceBook groups wanted me to join their winter warrior groups.  Today was the final day of their running.  Everyone is celebrating their one month triumph.  I commend them on their accomplishments.
As a disabled athlete I could not take part in this.  My knees would not allow me to run or walk everyday.  I consider myself more than a winter warrior.  I am an all season warrior.  I run through snow, sleet, freezing rain, wind, freezing temperatures,  puddles, mud, extreme heat, humidity, hills, mountains, knees issues, knee pain, or my knee(s) locking up.  I travel hundreds of miles to run an event.  I represent disabled athletes of CT in 3 different states.  I can walk a half marathon in less than 2:40:00. 
Today I went out for a 4-6 mile recovery run.  Mile one was completed in 10 minutes.  At this point I figured out I might run 8 miles.  As I continued to run my per mile pace kept decreasing.  By the time I was 8.71 miles into my run I was pacing at 9:50 per mile.  (At this point my battery was at zero).
I kept running.  Good thing is that I brought my iPod with me.  I checked the time and it was 2:10:00 into the run.  I headed home and checked the time.  I only ran 2 hours.  At a pace of 9:50 with running 2 hours I ran 12.2 miles. This was my fast time for 12.2 miles.  I can see a sub 2:10:00 half marathon.
I hope your weekend was as eventful as mine.
Take care,
Mr. F
All Seaon Warrior

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #564 on: February 07, 2016, 11:15:52 PM »
 Hello everybody,
Well this week has been kid of hectic.  With work, meetings, school events, and weather I could not get out and walk or run.  On Friday snow hit us and closed most of the state.  I wanted to go out for a walk or run.  I did not go out early.  This was my mistake.  The snow came down harder and harder.  More snow plows and cleaning crews came out.  I did not want to be out while they are out.  So Friday was washed out.
Friday night our local running group had its annual meeting.  It was a pot luck event.  Great time with great people.  On top of this I was appointed to the board.  It's official I am a board member for the Glastonbury River Runners.
Saturday was a run-walk day.  Normally I would go out with the Glastonbury River Runners.  With snow, ice, and puddles (along with a hilly run) I decided not to risk my knees.  Miles and I ran together locally (no hills).  I have an area I run in that can add up to 10-13 miles without going far away from home.  Miles is getting back into running so he wanted to interval (4:1) 10 miles. 
It was cold, icey, snow, puddles, and winds.  I slipped twice.  My son got worried that I would injure myself.  One time I slipped within half a mile and again around mile 8.  Only me...
So we are intervaling our way through the neighborhood and watching out for ice.  The worse part was black ice was everywhere.  Nothing was exciting about this training run.  We reached 10 miles with a pace of 12:07 per mile.  At this point my son ran across the street to get home.
I continued the 4:1 interval.  The next 3.1 miles flew by.  I was moving.  At 13.1 miles my overall pace was 11:49.  Then I hit the wall.  I had no Gu.  I eat granola to give me energy.  But at this time I had nothing left.  I did a cool down walk.  I walked 3 miles.  At 16.1 miles my overall pace was 12:16 per mile.
Today we did a recovery walk.  This was good.  We had a good time.  Hopefully years from now my son will have great memories of our father-son time.  We walked a similar route.  We ended up with 6.91 miles with a per mile pace of 15:58.
Not bad...and what made today even better was getting a box of Gu.  Now I am ready for my long runs and half marathons.
We are expecting snow tomorrow so I have no idea if I will be going to work or taking a snowy walk. 
Take care,
Mr. F
#allseasonwarrior

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #565 on: February 10, 2016, 12:20:38 AM »
Hello everybody,
Nothing exciting here.  We had our first, and second, major snow storms of 2016 this Friday and Monday.  My son and I were able to get out and run Saturday and walk on Sunday.  I ran-walked 16.1 miles (my son joined me for 10 miles).  On Sunday we walked 6.91 miles.
Today after work we went for a walk.  We walked 7.22 miles in less time than it took us on Sunday to walk 6.91 miles.  Miles is into online games so we talked about video games, school, politics, family and how he is going to raise his future child, or children.  We had a good time.  I love these father and son times.
We are entering a virtual half this week.  Miles will not be able to run with me in the Colchester Half.  He has a school event.  (This is the second month something has come up and we could not run in half together). 
Take care,
Mr. F
#allseasonwarrior

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #566 on: February 21, 2016, 05:51:59 PM »
Hello everybody,
Well this week's weather was an issue.  Sunday was -30 degrees and windy.  Needless to say I was not going to injure myself go get in a walk or run.  Monday there was snow and it was freezing so I did not get in any miles.  Tuesday was a mess.  In the morning there was snow, ice, and wind.  The highways and other roads were a mess.  After work in was in the 40s and 50s with heavy rain and winds.  So no walking nor running.  Wednesday I had a doctor appointment.  I got home late, and again no running.  Thursday saw meetings and extra curricular activities along with dinner and we did not get home until late.  Friday I finally got in a walk.  I walked 5 miles with a pace under 13 minutes per mile.
Saturday I was determined to get out and interval.  Our son was not home so my wife and me headed out to run with the Glastonbury River Runners.  I was aiming for 4-6 miles.  My wife wanted at least 8.  (I was going to run with our son later and my wife was looking to do her long run).  We started out at 7:30, with a 4:1 interval.  Close to mile 3 my wife was not feeling well so she went home and I came up with a new route home.
I decided to run 5 miles to get back home.  I wanted to see what I was capable of achieving so I did not use intervals.  Also I picked an area that had some hills.  I did not pay attention to the pace.  I was more interested in the miles.  (At mile 3 the overall pace was 13 minutes).  Very slow pace for me.
As I headed into my run my knees loosened up (the weather was causing my knees to lock up).  I was feeling good and opened up my stride and speed.  About half a mile in I hit my first hill.  I slowed down slightly, and conquerored the hill.  I made a left and continued on.  I kept running.  I took a salt stick cap.
Mile 5 saw more hills and speed.  I had no idea how fast I was running, but I could tell I was moving.  At mile 6 I took a Gu.  This gave me more energy.  Also I started seeing other runners.  I was chasing them down and passing them.  (I never do this).
Around mile 6 I was next to the local high school.  There was a nice decline to push me forward.  I needed this.  At this point I could not imagine keeping up this pace.  I wanted to see how my body would react.  So I kept on going.  Down and up the small hills.
At mile 6.5 I knew I could get back home.  I was running up and down the inclines and declines.  Passing runners and walkers along the way.  At mile 7 I was feeling good.  I kept on running and took another salt stick.  I was passing more people.  During the run I was fortunate because I was not stuck at a red light for any length of time.  Almost all of them I could cross in less than 10 seconds.
I was moving and trying to calculate my distance.  I had to add a little distance to make 8 miles.  I make the final loop and hit my house.  5 miles in 47:24.  My final mile was run at 8:54.  The lousy weather and wind make this a great run for me.
Later that day I ran with my son.  We are getting him back into the swing of things.  First a foot injury and now getting over a cold.  These items limited his running.  We used a 4:1 interval when we ran.  The route we did was that of our summer training.  We headed into the Buttonball area.  There was hills in this area.  He was huffing and puffing along the way.  I kept him talking.
At one point we had to make a discussion.  I wanted to run into the local park, loop around the parking lot, and continue on to miles 9 and 10.  My son was struggling.  He wanted to go into the park but when we exit head home.  I listened to him.  He was happy.
As we headed home he was getting slower and slower.  Our overall miles 8.56 with a pace of 12:55 per mile. 
So yesterday I ran 16.67 miles and over 3 hours of running and walking.  (This was my first time run-walking over 15 miles since the New York City Marathon).
I thought I was going to be sore and unable to move today.  Not so.  Today I am doing laundry and thinking about getting out and doing a cool down walk.
Happy Sunday...
Mr. F
#fortheloveofrunning

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #567 on: March 09, 2016, 01:45:42 AM »
Hello everybody,
Sorry for not posting sooner.  I have been very busy at work.  Work has been stressful.  I am not going to get into this.  But it has made me rethink my training.  I have been getting out and walking a lot lately.  On top of this the weather has been cold (32-35 degrees, cold, windy, no sun, etc).
My walking has been helping me become a stronger runner.  On Febrary 27 I set a new PR for half marathon time.  I ran the Colchester Half, one hilly course.  My time was 2:08:56 (9:52 pace).  It was an amazing race.  The final 2 miles were uphill.  The final .5 mile I was out of energy.  My guide was yelling at me to kick it.  I had no kick.  I did finish strong.
During last week I walked and interval ran over 50 miles.  On Saturday my son and I ran with our local running group.  We were joined by a fellow running who is training for her first half.  We turned a 9 mile run into a 12.18 mile run.  We hit the hills, over 1,100 feet of elevation.  My son was out of energy at mile 10.  We walked most of the final 2 plus miles.  When my wife got home from the gym we went out for a run.  We ran 8.12 miles.  I helped her increase her speed.  She was amazed at how much I have progressed as a runner.  Her comment was "if I wanted to run 10 plus miles you would have kept up with me."  Unbelievable. 
While we were talking she brought up taking part in another marathon.  I could not believe this.  She said you could get ready, and run a marathon, in what a month?  I asked why.  She said "I would be ok if you want to take part in another marathon.  You would need to walk at least half the marathon."  Wow, I never expected this.  I have not thought of another marathon I want to take part in.
This week I have been walking and running everyday.  Sunday I walked 7 miles.  Monday the family went out for a run together.  My wife and son had me lead them.  We ran 5.4 miles together.  I walked another 1.6 miles.  That is another day of 7 miles.  Today was stressful at work.  I came home and wanted to run 3-5 miles.  Miles 1 and 2 were fast.  Mile 3 I was sucking wind.  I wanted to get to mile 4 before stopping.  At mile for 4 I pushed to mile 5.  This turned into miles 6 and 7.  I figured I would stop running during this mile.  I nice hill that is a killer.  But it had nothing on me today.  Mile 8 turned into 9 and eventually 10.  I could not believe how far and fast I ran today.  10 miles in 1:35:50 with a pace of 9:35 per mile.  I felt great and my knees cooperated.  Now I am recovering at home.
I am going out for a 5 mile walk tomorrow. I hope you are getting out and being active.
Take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #568 on: April 18, 2016, 02:14:50 AM »
 Hello everybody,
I know it's been some time since my last post.  Work is kind of crazy.  I have been dealing with some issues.  Since I do not post about specifics I will leave it alone.
I have been training and attempting to run, and finish, at least 24 half marathons this year.  In April I decided to sneak in one half early.  I had a scheduled half on April 3.  So I decided to take part in a half on April 2 (April Fools Half).  The weather, one week out, was beautiful.  The day of the race it was in the low 40s, windy, and raining.  On top of all of this it was extremely hilly.  Can you say not fun running up hills, into the wind (20-30 mph) and rain.  By mile 5 my socks and shoes were waterlogged.  It was like caring 5 extra pounds on your feet. 
My strategy was to walk up the hills and and interval the downhills and flat (or flatish) areas.  At mile 9 my knees could take no more.  I was walking no matter what. 
He course itself was incredible.  And what I could see (I need glasses and my lenses were fogged up) was beautiful.  Very challenging and a fun event.  I would definetly run this event again.
With all the rain, winds, hills, cold weather and walking I figured a 2:40:00 time.  I was not going to push myself nor get injured on a miserable day.  To my surprise I finished in under 2:26:00.  I was extremely happy.
The next day was the Middletown Half.  My son and I were suppose to run this event together.  Well a storm came in and dumped 6 inches of snow and 40 mph winds.  The race was postponed.  So I never got to run my back to back half marathons.  (I have been training for this). 
On April 10 I was waiting on funding so I could run in another half.  This did not occur on time so another half was gone.  Please know I am not upset.  I believe things happen for a reason.  So my knees got a rest and no unnecessary over usage out of them.
During this past week I attempted to see if I could do a back to back 13.1 training walk and interval.  I did not hit 13.1 miles.  I intervalled, with my son, 13.5 miles on day.  The next day I walked 13.53 miles.  So I can do this.
Today I took part in the Moose on the Loose Half Marwthon.  I drove 2 hours to interval a half.  The first two miles were good.  The weather was chilly, but manageable (38 degrees and a slight breeze).  By mile 3 one of my knees locked up.  Miles 3-6 were not fun.  The weather changed (warmed up) and my knee was able to bend.
I was not attempting to set a new PR.  I normally bring salt stick caps and 4 Gus with me.  (While driving to the event, 25 miles from home, I realized I left 2 Gus and the salt stick caps at home).  I knew I could not push the pace since I was not prepared.
The course was a double loop.  After leaving the first loop I felt good.  I was not running fast.  I was just having fun.  Sometime during mile 8 I clipped a root, stumbled, and fell (I am good for 1 fall during a trail run and today was a trail run).  I was fortunate because I did not hit a root, rock, or tree.  I did scrape up my leg a bit.  Nothing to bad.
At mile 10 I was happy and took my last Gu.  I could feel the finish line.  Mile 11 was nice and scenic.  Then we were out in the open and mile 12 appeared.  I was happy knowing I had 1.1 mile left.  (I know that mile 12-13 takes up to 11 minutes).  Well 11 minutes later and I was not at mile 13.  What was wrong?  I was not slowing down yet I went through 2 intervals (12 minutes).
Finally I reached mile 13 and getting close to the end.  I was on the rack running down the final stretch of pavement.  I could see the timer.  Wait, am I seeing this correctly.  I can read most of the time (not the seconds).  It can not be 2 hours 1 minute...yes 2 hours 7 minutes and some odd seconds.  I pick up my pace and yell "GO ACHILLES" as I cross the finish line.  I have no idea what my official time is.
I was hoping for 2:20:00 after my knee locked up.  Later on I looked up my time 2:07:56 (9:46 pace).  A new fastest time for a half marathon.  Not a bad day.
The drive home, that was another story.  Another 2 hours in the car.  When I got home my knees were cramping.  Not from the run, but from the drive home.
I hope your week was eventful.
Take care,
Mr. F
PS-e entire family is running a half marathon this coming Sunday.  A first for us.

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #569 on: April 25, 2016, 12:13:51 AM »
Hello everybody,
So I have been walking this week.  Getting ready for my half marathon.  I walked over 16 miles in 3 days.  On Saturday my son and I walked 3.3 miles.  (My wife ran 3 miles).  After this all of us helped with the beginning running group.  We have 50 new runners.  It was great giving back, helping others, and providing support.  After we got home I figured out my mile (6.5). 
Since Wednesday I have been carbing up and hydrating.  On Saturday I ate a box of grain pasta, cereal, and a banana with peanut butter.  I drank 110 ounces of water.  I was getting psyched for our family half on Sunday.
Today was the first time all of us ran a half marathon together.  The weather was perfect.  The course was not so hilly.  Since the Cheshire Half was my wife's first half she set a PR.  Our son was running his first half solo.  I was running with other disabled athletes.  I was aiming for a 2:05:00.  Sometimes my knees do not let me run the way I want.
When we lined up to start the race everyone was looking for their pace group.  Since there were limited pacers I started with the 2:00:00 group (or what I thought was the 2 hour group).  When we started I noticed that the 2:15:00 group moved in-front of me.  People in these groups were running slow so I had to dodge, bob, and weave through the crowd.
I kept up with the 2 hour group.  During miles 2-4 I had two people cutting me off.  They kept running in front of me.  Finally I passed both men.  At this time a police rode by on a bike and people joked with him.  They said he "was cheating".  The officer laughed.
Miles 4-7 were much of the same.  I was keeping pace with the 2 hour group.  The one thing that sucks is you can start seeing the runners ahead of you before mile 6 (around mile 7.3 there is a u-turn and the paths are parallel to each other).  I was prepared this year to see the runners and know I had more than a mile to reach the turn.
Miles 7-8 were good for me.  I started to slow down.  Mile 9 was a mess.  There were several uphill areas.  This mile took me more than 10 minutes.  If I kept this pace I would finish after 2:05:00.  I picked up my pace.  I was listening to music and started singing to the music.  Mile 10 took 2 songs.  I was getting caught up in the music.  I thought 2 more songs and I am at mile 11.  After 2 songs I looked up and saw my time 1:52:00.  Wow, this means I was slowing down and there was no way to run a 2:05:00. 
I noticed that I was at mile 12.  This means I would not run a 2:05:00.  I would run a sub 2:05:00.  I was feeling good.  I passed people on the road.  I kept pushing myself.  One more turn and then the trail.  I hit the trial.  One more turn and I am on the track.  Less than a quarter of a mile.
I felt I kicked too soon.  There was nothing left.  I dug deep and started pushing myself.  Nobody was going to pass me.  I had some speed left.  I hit the loop and saw the time.  I pushed myself.  Finally crossing the finish line.  Unofficial time 2:02:30.  Still a PR.  My official time 2:01:19 (9:15 palace).  I finished with a new PR and a first place time (ambulatory physically challenged male). 
My wife finished with a time of 2:28:12 and our son finished with a time of 2:37:35.  A great day for all of us.
My ultimate goal, when I started running (intervals) half marathons was to finish a half marathon with a time of 2:00:00.  I am 79 seconds off.
I hope your weekend was eventful.
Take care,
Mr. F