Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PFR-Knee pain-Who has had this?  (Read 135860 times)

Offline webbiecindy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: PFR-Knee pain-Who has had this?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 05:26:10 AM »
Hello Mr. F, I'm sorry to hear that you still haven't found out what is going on with your knee. :P I had a bonescan to see what was causing me pain and of course it showed that the implant is loose. It really is the waiting that is hard to deal with, I had to wait three weeks before I found out my results. I'll cross my fingers that you find out faster than I did. Hang in there!~
Cindy ;)

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 12:51:08 AM »
Doctor appointment tomorrow...Hopefully I will find out what is going on in my knee.  I will keep you posted.

Thank you,
Mr.F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 11:21:41 PM »
Well I went to see my OS today.  He examined my knee again.  Again the same pain (no swelling, doctor could not fell or see anything wrong).  We talked and he said that he did not understand why I had so much pain in my knee (my other knee had very little pain).  The doctor had this confused look on his face (I knew he thought I was crazy).

At this time he looks at my chart and notices that the first doctor I saw (a doctor in his practice) finally forwarded my records.  Next he gave me a shot (which did not do anything for the pain).  He left the room, read my chart, and came back in.  More x-rays were taken.

Now when you look at the x-rays from 2 weeks ago and today you can see a difference in the knee.  You can see that the patella button has been worn down (there could be bone on metal).  This explains my pain and catching feeling in the knee (my son and myself called it).

Now the fun begins.  I have another appointment for next week.  We will discuss my options and next steps.  As the OS said "I guess we will have to open you up."  I am hoping for just replacing the patella button, but we will not know the fill extent of the damage until I have an operation.

I will keep you posted.......

Mr.F

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 01:46:03 AM »
At least the doc has figured out the button is worn down.  Hope all they need to do it replace it.  Maybe they will need to clean up the cartilage too.  Hopefully it will be a simple thing to fix for you.  Good luck.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2011, 01:31:07 AM »
OK...Its update time.  Let me see where do I start????  My OS wanted some information from my OS down south.  First the person I talked to had no common sense (to be PC).  I needed to find the make and model of my implant.  Instead of talking to the OS she told me I had a ___ implant (I had PFR the replacement was for a total knee).  Next I need 2 x-rays.  She refused to send them.  And finally I needed information (which they faxed almost everything with no questions asked).  Now I had to jump through hoops. 
So since I did not get the information I needed I sat and waited and waited and waited.  Finally I was placed in an examining room.  There I sat and waited and waited.  Finally my OS came in and we talked.  He did not understand what was going on.
He left the room and called the OS down south.  He waited and waited until one of the people in the office took the phone and waited for 15 minutes.  Finally we got the information he need (and the x-rays are on the way).
So we talked and we decided on surgery (a no brainer).  I wanted my operation late this month.  I was laughed at.  When, was my reply.  I was told that he was booked through July.  Just my luck.  He checked his schedule and said that he had a opening in about 6 weeks.  So, 6 weeks it is.
Then we talked about what could happen.  Option one- just the patella button needs to be replaced.  We think the patella is rubbing on the metal implant in my femur.  Option two- more damage in the knee and we move to total knee replacement.  I am leaning to TKR.  My doctor showed his point of view when he said, "I have never just replaced a patella button.  If I did this it would be a first."  Which leads me to believe that he is leaning towards total knee.
So its time to prepare for surgery.  There is a class for TKR where I will meet the team that will be working with me.  New exercises to build up leg muscles, and all the fun blood work, physical, etc.
I will keep you updated....
Have a fantastic day,
Mr.F

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2011, 02:11:28 AM »
At least you now have a game plan.  Even if there is a bit more waiting.  Hopefully you will only need the little fix, but if not you are getting prepared for the alternative.  What a pain with the other OS's office and getting records.  Good luck and post back any news.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2011, 10:12:56 PM »
Overcast all day.  Also its cold outside.  In a lot of pain.  How many more weeks until surgery?  I know its just a bad day.

Can not wait until tomorrow.
Mr.F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2011, 09:47:54 PM »
HAPPY MOTHER"S DAY TO ALL MOTHERS   :)   .........

Better day, in the 60s-70s, and sunny.  Tonight overcast, hopefully I will be asleep before the pain kicks in.

Have a fantastic and relaxing day.

Mr.F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 03:37:46 AM »
I was searching websites and found this one...Have fun!

http://www.edheads.org/activities/knee/

Take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 10:39:03 PM »
Rough day today.  My students were freaked out when they heard my knee cracking and popping while walking.  I told them it is more painful than it sounds.  They were shocked that I was not taking pain killers.  I am glad the week is over.  I will be spending lots of time on the sofa this weekend.  I hope your weekend is better than mine.

Have a fantastic weekend...
Mr.F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2011, 02:31:01 AM »
Well its almost a month until my TKR, and I can not wait.  The past 3 days of cold, overcast, and rainy weather.  Spend much time in pain, meditation, deep breathing, chewing gum, and sleeping (passing out in pain).  I can not wait until I can enjoy a meal and gain weight again (not eating that much do to pain).  Last time I had surgery I gained 25 pounds (and was still under what I should weigh).

I go next week for the first round of pre-operation appointments, need to find a knee rehab center, and to make sure I have what I need when I get home (passive motion machine and the cooler that ices the knee).  I just hope my left knee holds (I had bilateral patella femoral replacement in 2005.)

Have a fantastic day...take care,

Mr.F

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2011, 08:12:11 PM »
The waiting is the most difficult I think.  A month should go fast though.  I have some trouble with the damp weather too. It is tough to enjoy anything when you are in pain.

Hope the month goes by quick.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2011, 02:33:13 PM »
Well another week down and about a month until my operation.  With cold, and wet ,weather  and hours on my feet I cannot stand the pain.  I am stuck on the couch again (this weekend).  I do not want to take pain meds since they drug you out of your mind, you cannot function, and there is the possibility of doing more damage to the knee.  (The pain is so bad that I pass out after work and I am eating less and less.  All I want is comfort foods.)

Next week I start my pre-operation appointments and visiting knee rehab centers.  Oh the fun I will have there.

Have a great weekend...
Mr.F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2011, 04:08:50 PM »
Spent the majority of the day and all night on the couch.  Had my dowjoy iceman working overtime.  It took 4 hours of icing the knee to feel some relief.  This morning used my stim unit and watched movies.  I can place little pressure and weight on the knee.  I am hoping I can make it through work tomorrow.  I see more ice and movies in my future.

Take care,
Mr.F

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2011, 03:27:45 PM »
Sounds like you are where I was just before my partial.  Just wiped out from pain.  Had to really pick and choose what got done.  So laundry got done, and the dust bunnies grew.  Getting through work is really rough.  Even for me with a mostly desk job.  Still painful to keep the knee bent under a desk.  Did a lot of pacing and proping and iceing whenever I could.  I think the polar ice machines are wonderful.  Fewer trips to the freezer!  Hope work wasn't too terrible.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt