Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PFR-Knee pain-Who has had this?  (Read 135401 times)

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
PFR-Knee pain-Who has had this?
« on: March 04, 2011, 11:34:38 PM »
Simple facts:
1) I had bilateral PFR about 5 and a half years ago
2) My right knee has had some problems over the past 3 years
3) Last week I did something to my right knee at work
4) Since then the pain has gotten worse
5) I am experiencing sharp pain along the sides of the knee cap, there is grinding going on under the cap (just started), I can not
    get comfortable (either sitting, standing, sleeping, etc), I am having difficulty standing for longer periods of time (15 minutes +),
    walking is becoming a problem, when my knee hurt the skin around my knee got cold...now I feel the cold inside my knee (not   the skin around my knee), there is popping and cracking in the knee, and I you place you hand on my knee you can feel the
    "catching" and "popping".

Thank you for your assistance,

Mr.F

Offline snorunner

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: PFR-Knee pain-Who has had this?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 08:06:47 PM »
You should get in to your doctor and make sure the implant hasn't loosened. I would think any sudden severe pain warrants a trip to the surgeon. Good luck and hopefully its not loosening. Scar tissue can cause a lot of pain too.
Chondromalacia dx age 14
1987 dx: malalignment, condromalacia, maltracking
2/2008 Gr. 2/3 OA L&R knees
3/2009 Gr. 4 severe isolated patellofemoral OA L&R
4/09 Hyalgan injections
8/24/09 PFJR and LR left knee
2/5/10 Left scope/debridement
2/22/10 PFJR and LR right knee

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 08:25:07 PM »
I have an appointment in 2 weeks.  Moved so I needed to find an OS who I feel comfortable with.  I am hoping for the best and preparing for the worst.  I will post what is going on.  Still having the same pain with more weird sounds and catching in the knee.  (My son thinks its the patella button).

Take care,
Mr.F

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 03:01:21 PM »
I'm with your son on this one.  Have the doc check the button, it may be wearing out.  If that is all that it is, it should be pretty easy to replace it.  That may depend on the type of implant used though.  They can also clean out any floaters from the bearing wear.  Good luck finding an OS.

'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 11:18:48 PM »
Thank you for your advice 2-bad-knees-

I have an appointment with an OS next week.  I am feeling pressure under the patella, there is popping, catching, and cracking noise.  Also the implant feels cold (yes I can feel cold coming from inside my knee).

I hope that what is happening is not causing more, or massive, damage under the knee.  If you have had many operations you prepare for the worst and hope for the best.  If its the patella button I can live with that.  If it is more, what can be done (I want to know my options)?

I will keep you posted.

Thanks,
Mr.F

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 12:57:05 PM »
Maybe more of the knee joint is arthritic now and they may need to change it over into a total replacement.  See what the OS has to say.  Good luck.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 02:32:18 PM »
Well the waiting continues....

I went to see my OS.  His assistant came in and asked questions, took notes, checked out the knee and asked more questions.  We found out one thing that there is extreme pain when the patella is moved side to side.  (I already knew where the other pain is).  The doctor came in and asked questions and examined my knees.  He was taken aback by the area and intensity of my pain.  I was sent to X-Ray.  When the X-Rays came back we talked.  He mentioned that the patella button might be too high (causing problems).  He scheduled a CT scan (did that Friday).  Now waiting on the results.

I was given a shot and a knee immobilizer (I refused the prescription for pain).  I left, drove to work, and made it in the building by the time I was ready to cut the knee immobilizer off.  The pain was intense (worse than my last operation).  I could barely make it through that day.  (NEVER...NEVER...NEVER use this type of brace!) 

I am still experiencing the pain I had.  Except now my knee is making more cracking noises, I can feel the catching, and I am waking up because of the pain.

If anyone knows what this could be please give me advice....

Thank you,

Mr.F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 03:54:55 PM »
Just got back from picking up my CT Scan report....The one item that stands out is joint effusion.  Now I need to talk to my OS and find out the next steps. 

I am in more pain today than the past 2-3 weeks.  I could not sleep last night.  I can not find a position that my knee feels comfortable in.  Also the joint feels ice cold (my skin is normal temperature).

I will keep you posted.

Mr.F

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 05:33:19 PM »
I hope they can figure things out with the CT scans.  I also hate imobilizers.  I was very happy when I could remove mine after surgery.  Thankfully I only used it when moving around at the hospital, once I got home I think I used it once to sleep in and stuffed it in the closet.  It works nice holding wrapping paper up in the closet.  It probably put a lot of pressure on the kneecap.

Post back what you find out at the OS office.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 06:19:24 PM »
My OS called around noon.  He wanted me to keep my knee in the brace for 4 weeks, with a gradual progression to normal activity.  And if I was in pain he would refer me to another OS in his practice.  I informed him that the shot and brace did nothing.  And the knee brace did more damage than good.  I have an April 12 appointment with his fellow OS.  So the saga continues...  I will keep you posted with what happens next.

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 05:21:20 PM »
New sounds and feelings coming from the knee.  I have what I call the double crack and pop.  When I bend my leg back and move it forward the knee catches twice and pops twice.  I have no idea what is going on in my knee.  Tuesday is my OS appointment.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 03:44:14 AM »
Good luck on Tuesday.  Hope the new OS can figure things out for you.  Not sure what the popping is, but may be the kneecap subluxing and going back in place.  Just a guess.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 12:24:08 AM »
The saga continues...again!  I have an appointment for a bone scan on Friday.  My new OS is not sure what is going on in the knee.  He took x-rays and looked at the CT scan.  He told me that these types of images are not showing what he is looking for.  The type of replacement I have he does not use so he wants more information.  Its up to the image on Friday, someone reading it, and the waiting game for the results.  I will keep you all posted.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 01:38:29 PM »
The waiting game is the hardest.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 02:27:10 PM »
I had blood taken (to check for an infection) yesterday.  My OS said he wanted this to rule out an infection (I was told I would not be able to walk if I had this).  Remember the saying it is better to be safe than sorry.  Later on I had my 3 phase bone scan.  The earliest I will know something is Monday.  (That is if the results are sent to my doctor by then).  Have a fantastic weekend and I will keep you posted.

Mr.F

support