Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hello and Input on Issues  (Read 1148 times)

Offline SkyMaster19

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hello and Input on Issues
« on: March 01, 2011, 09:49:49 PM »
Hello, first time post. I am a 54 y/o male who after 25 years of racquetball finally succumbed to years of stop and go on the court. Had a twin meniscus tear repair on the right knee in 07 followed up with P/T. No real relief and after 6 months of injections decided in the fall of 09 to have a total replacement. Received a Smith Nephew Journey Deuce. Complications immediately surfaced resulting in a total "washout" a month later due to a staph infection (6 weeks of Vano with a "Pic" line is a great weight reducer).

Never achieved optimal flex and extension even after 6 months of rehab. This included use of DynaSplint systems for both issues. Finally had a lateral release /debridement last May removing 2 inches of scar tissue that encompassed the whole prosthetic. Unfortunately the knee continues to swell even after fluid removal and meds.

Now scheduling a total revision probably looking at removal of the prosthetic, insert of the "spacer' for 4-6 months, and start all over with a new prosthetic (manufacturer).

Very frustrating when I ask other total "receipiants" and they're returning to a nearly normal quality of life. Anyway thanks for listening. 

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Hello and Input on Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 04:26:40 PM »
So sorry you are having so much trouble. I wish I had some advice but I don't. I do totally relate to not being able to bend or extend the knee, really sucks and makes everything more difficult and the stiffness gives me lots of pain. I have only had 2 scopes no replacements but I do undersatnd the fustration I just had my 2nd scope on Jan. 12th and still not feeling like was a total sucess. Also wanted to say don't you love the dyna splint, just got mine 2 weeks ago and it is so uncomfortable!
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline SkyMaster19

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 05:44:37 PM »
Thank you for your thoughts. Yes the DynoSplints were interesting. The flex was especially painful. Unfortunately they never achived the desired results. My therapists resorted to "older" methods involving securing my knee to the table with cargo tie down straps and a pillow rolled towel under my heel using a "fulcrum" to force the knee (and thereby leg) straight. That usually resulted in me holding a pillow over my mouth to muffle my "displeasure".....   

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 08:36:03 PM »
Oh, yes the tie down to the table thing...fun fun, my therapist tried that on me for the first time last Friday. I didn't like it at all, hurt like hell! The splint thing, I know I need to do it but geez, they want me in it 30 mins. straight and then 30 mins. bent 4 times a day, thats 4 hours of agony. So far I have managed 15 mins. at a time about 3 times a day. He also did something last week I hated, had me tie a rope around my ankle and lay on my stomach and then pull on the rope to bend my knee and stretch quads, it messed my back up for about 3 days.
Right leg amputee.

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 08:40:18 PM »
Also, I have a question about the scar tissue removal you had. Did they do that surgery because of your flexion and extention? My pt mention arthofibrosis to me so I researched and it is just a abundant amount of scar tissue limiting movement and mentioned surgery is usually needed. My pt is not my ortho though so she can't say I have that but she is thinking that way.
Right leg amputee.

Offline SkyMaster19

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 04:08:19 AM »
Yes that does contribute to restricted movement. The manipulation the P/T does is to hopefully break up the scar tissue. Another special is when they have you lie on your stomach with your foot off the table and padding under your knee. The P/T puts ankle weights on and you count the minutes.....

Right now the issue is the fluid build up that restricts movement. Think of 2 mechanical pieces that share a common space to pivot about. Now fill that space that is normally empty and try to move the two pieces. Since there is no space for the fluid to move to it causes resistance. It's called "hydro-lock".

Offline SkyMaster19

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 09:00:34 PM »
Revision scheduled for 11 April. Another exciting post op to look forward to of 6 hours in a CPM, ice machine, and who can forget exciting physical therapy......... :o