Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Thickened collateral ligament!  (Read 18548 times)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Thickened collateral ligament!
« on: February 28, 2011, 04:04:18 PM »
I had a ultrasound done in the summer of 2010 on my right knee as I was getting a lot of pain on the medial side of my knee by the portal area after having had my medial plica and fat pad removed in November 2009. I had a cortisone injection into the portal area in spring 2010 and did not really ease or reduce the knee pain.

On the report it said that I had a thickening of the collateral ligament. Could my medial collateral ligament that is thicker then it should be, causing the pain on the medial side by the portal area. I saw my PT last week and he told me my portal has healed up well and can no longer feel the scar tissue, so did not have to do deep friction massage as he did a few months ago.

Could a thickened medial collateral ligament be some scar tissue around the ligament and would it cause pain at the bottom of the knee on the medial side. I am still getting pain when squatting and jogging around the portal area on the medial side which I thought was scar tissue but now thinking it could be the thickened medial collateral ligament causing the pain?

Nick :) {2011} :)

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 04:08:15 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Thickened collateral ligament!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 03:38:54 PM »
Hi Again,

I maybe should have posted in the general section to get a reply back. I would just like to know if you can live with a thickened collateral ligament and could it it be scar tissue around the collateral ligament that is causing thickening that's maybe could be causing pain at the bottom of my right knee.

16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline Miss Beams

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 05:26:03 PM »
hi, i damaged my medical collateral ligament, the original injury back in june.  on the MRI done in Oct it was reported as only grade 2 with thickening.  So yes you can live with it, i was told by os no 1 that it would take up to and possibly over a year to fully recover, i think my torn mcl caused my small medial deficit in the mfc and subsequent mfx  which have had done.  Anyway, back to the mcl, i can feel that the inside of my knee is thickened and when i put my knees together i can feel the ligament although it nolonger causes me any discomfort.  I am assuming that probably what i can feel is the scar tissue maybe round the torn fibres.  so really back to you, not sure if you should be experiencing  mcl pain after that length of time????

Sorry i cant be anymore help
 ???

06/10  L knee trauma(horseriding accident) MCL
10/10 MRI ACL/MCL/G4CM/PF
12.01.2011 scope ACL intact, chronoplasty and 2 x microfractures FMC and trochlear ,MRI over reported(knee not as bad as made out),   time and patience will tell:)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 11:08:21 AM »
Thanks for the info and did think myself that you can live with a thickened collateral ligament and most likely to be scar tissue if I get the main pain around the medial portal.

I am coming up to 16 months post up, so would have thought the thickened collateral ligament is no longer a problem.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 04:30:31 PM »
Hi All,

I thought I would bring this Topic back up again as a lot has happened since 2011 and now been told by my OS that I have PFS in right knee. Once again not able to run and getting pain and swelling at the bottom of my kneecap, I know that PFS is more of a common problem among females then in males and mine been caused by 13 years of manual labour on the golf course and running 9 miles 3 times a week for nearly a year and at the time did not think would put strain on my right knee so soon.

Can the thickening of the collateral ligament be caused if you have been diagnosed with PFS or just something that can develop over a certain time period if you are putting strain on the knee. It would be nice to get back into running once again and having PFS does not help if you are a competitive runner as this time last year running an average of 6 minutes and 50 seconds a mile. I now cannot run a few yards without pain at the bottom of my right knee that may or may not be caused by thickening of the collateral ligament.

[email protected]