Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: LCL pain after ACL surgery :(  (Read 2969 times)

Offline MariaT

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
LCL pain after ACL surgery :(
« on: February 15, 2011, 01:23:56 AM »
  ??? I was wondering if anyone else has experienced what's happening to me. I had ACL surgery just 4 weeks ago and around week 2 I started feeling a locking sensation with pain when going from 0 degrees extension to flexion. It happens at a couple degrees of flexion then once I get past the "spot" its fine. I pointed it out to my PT tonight and we both could feel a tight tendon where the pain comes from and she said its my LCL. I will talk to my OS when I see him next. I had a similar experience last time I had knee surgery (same knee) and it eventually went away. It was in a different spot though. Any advise? It really hurts when it happens :'(
Maria
9/11/07 bi-lateral knee dislocations, recon MCL's , ACL's, postero-lateral corners. 7/07 most hardware removed.
2 1/2 yrs later still in pain & having instability.
7/10 bone grafts R knee-pending ACL revision
1/11 ACL revision w/BPB autograft

Offline MUMofpain

• Forum Faithful
Re: LCL pain after ACL surgery :(
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 07:44:18 PM »
Interesting.. this happened to my son.  He is 5 weeks post aclr and at about 3 weeks when he was doing his heel slides he said he had the same feeling that you described.  He told his pt and she just said 'yes, you get lots of different pains with this op' (very helpful).  Anyway this past week he hasn't complained about it, I've just asked him and he says it is going now so hopefully yours will in a few days too. :) Wishing you all the best.
27th September 2010 - Tore acl at football
12th January 2011 - ACL reconstruction (Hamstring)

Offline MariaT

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 12:25:32 AM »
Hi and thanks for your response. That is interesting and I hope mine too will go away as your son's did. Fingers crossed! Hope he's healing well.
Maria
9/11/07 bi-lateral knee dislocations, recon MCL's , ACL's, postero-lateral corners. 7/07 most hardware removed.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 04:36:32 AM »
I had a very similar sensation for a while during my recovery - in my case it was due to adhesions from the surgery. When I eventually talked to my PT about it he suggested deep tissue massage on the area that felt like it was "sticking" to try and break the adhesions up, and this worked really well - within a week it was gone. Mine lingered for quite a while (it was at about 6-7 weeks post surgery when it finally went away), probably because I hadn't been doing anything to help it up until that point. It was such a relief when I could finally bend without that odd catching, locking feeling...
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline MariaT

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 02:38:37 PM »
 ;D Thanks Snowy. I'm hoping I have a similar situation and eventually it will go away. I was able to unlock my brace this week to 90 degrees and my knee is sticking at times when I walk also. Such a weird sensation and I find myself wanting to walk with my knee in a locked position because of it :( I have to really concentrate on bending my knee as I walk. I guess I have to retrain my brain to bend my knee too!
Maria

Offline meli792

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 06:51:52 AM »
Hi MariaT I was wondering how you have recovered with the locking of your knee? I am having certain similar symptoms and even my OS is confused.