Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: hip issues  (Read 1082 times)

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • live well laugh often love much and play hard
hip issues
« on: February 14, 2011, 01:22:07 AM »
Hi all, not sure where to post this so I figure here is as good a place as any. I have had knee issues for 25 years. Now I am some complications with the oppistie hip. I have to have a scope to shave the bone, fix a tear and deal with a cyst. I guess the tear and cyst aren't so bad except the bone issue is due to over compenstating. I more than likely have mild arthiritis in the hip.
So I guess what I'm asking is does anyone know much about hip issues due to a bad knee and do any of you know of a website like this one I can get info.
Thank you for you help.
Jen
dislocated patella and chopped off most of chondal 1985
chondroplasty/medial meniscus repair 1996
ACI  quater size defect-surgery failure
lateral meniscus repair2002
chondroplasty, lateral Meniscectomy2006
synvisc & orthovisc injections 2008/2009
drained and cortizone injection 2008

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
Re: hip issues
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 01:54:38 AM »
I am going through the exact same thing with my hip, it has been going on for a year now. I have had 4 cortisone shots and nothing seems to be working, the pain just comes back. What are your symptoms? I get this pain that goes from my hip down in my thigh, and is worse when i go to sit and get up, and stairs. It almost feels like something is ripping. I have been told it is also from compensating for the knee, and this plain sucks. I have enough problems dealing with this knee.  Please let me know if you find a website.   Kim
2006 right knee surgery, meniscus
2008 left knee lateral release,  meniscus
2009 microfracture left knee, lateral meniscus,  fragment
2009 cartilage transplant oats
2010 loose fragment removal, meniscus fraying,found another defect
2010 oats failed, synvesic injections ,2011 right knee meniscus

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 07:20:02 PM »
I have not found a website that I feel give enough info. Wish there was one like knee geeks. I am having surgery this Thursday to reserface the hip and fix labreal tear and possible deal with a cyst.
It got a bit better with the cortizone shot that HURT like a .....
Anyway, my doc says thats just a temp fix for the real isssue which is the bone. I have a rough time sitting which is a joke cuz I have rough time stand on the ohter leg cuz of my knee! WT......F.....lol.
I have a sharp pain that is in the groin area and the outer gluteal area. Also lots of grinding.
Hope you have gotten some relief by now. I'm sorry it took me awhile to reply.  I'll let you know how things go. I'm so anti surgery but learning sometimes you can't avoid it.

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 07:47:04 AM »
Try this website www.active.com. Search for arthroscopic  hip surgery and labral tears. Let me know if this is not it, i found this site on accident looking for hip tears. It has been great. I am having surgery April 20 for the tear, bursectomy and extra piece of bone removal, all from compensating with my knee. Please let me know how it goes, and what can i expect and look forward too. I wish you well     Kim

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 08:43:54 PM »
Try a arthritis forum, when I first started having knee issues I was looking for info too, and found one I think was called arthritis connection. There were lots of people on there with hip issues.
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 04:26:11 PM »
Hi Jen,

Just wondering how your surgery went, i am due to have my hip done in May, and am not looking forward to it,  >:(  thanks  Kim

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 01:36:04 PM »
The doc said things went fine. I was still crossing fingers that he would go in and nothing was there. But we all know that usauly doesn't happen. And it didn't. But this is a first for me that all was as expected and not worse, YAY. he shaved the bone and fixed the tear. In surgery for 2hours. My husband got a little concerned cuz he was told to expcet a call about 9 ish and didn't till 10:30. Not sure why
Today is the Sunday so the forth day since surgery and I am sitting in an upright positionf or about 30 minutes. Not loving it but it is do able. I stopped all pain meds yesterday. Ok well no I took 1 last night around 4 am as sleeping was tough.
I ahve been doing exercies the pt person gave me when i left 5 x a day! And it not so bad. The day I left she said do foot pumps and i did and they were not so bad. The next day, on Friday I started them and of course it was tough at first but wow what a differnce doing them makes.I only did them 3x that 1st day as she said to go easy and start lightly. i am now doing them 5x a day.  I am trying to walk around often as i feel this helps with mobility as well. I can put 50% of my weight on the leg (what is that by the way, how the heck am i suppose to know what 50% is ...........lol).
I do have a low grade fever. Mostly is it 99.7 but has reached 100.3 without fever reducer. So I might have to keep up with tyleonol.
All in all not so bad. I will say this as I don't want you to think its peaches and cream. This is worse than any of my knee scopes and I had a pretty bad one last time. But here I am 4 days later and I feel pretty good. Even got my own coffee today and wobbled aroudn to the table with it.
Hope i covered alot of your questions ask away if you have more. And of corurse as it gets clser to your date.

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 06:29:57 PM »
Did you have a nerve block? If you did how was it, and if you felt anything, i am more scared of this than the surgery, only because I had one for my knee surgery and it was so painful, plus i was awake for it, and i will never forget that pain and i dont want to experience that ever again. Glad your doing ok, i know it is going to be different than knee surgery, i went on u tube and watched the surgery and i was like YIKES, dont ask me why i did that, but i just wanted to know what i am getting myself into. Wishing you a speedy recovery and thanks for the input!!!!     Kim

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 12:17:52 AM »
No nerve block. I went completely under mo option as it was day surgery. My doc gave my pain med before surgery, Tylenol, celebrex and major pain med all before surgery. Also antibiotic throu an iv before surgery. All precaution. Hexagons vhave also given aspirin after the surgry as pre caution for blood clots but I am allergic.
I have No recollection of the surgery, all I remember is being wheeled to the OR.
I have had the experience of "knowing" what's what during surgery but don't remember pain.

support