Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: No real benefit from my unicompartmental  (Read 1865 times)

Offline tinytim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
No real benefit from my unicompartmental
« on: February 11, 2011, 02:00:06 PM »
I'm 44 years old and had suffered pretty much most of my life with right knee pain, in 1990 during my Army service I was diagnosed with Osteochondritis and was told that I would unfortunatley develop serious Osteo Arthritis in later life because of it. This pretty much curtailed my Army career.

Several Arthroscopys later the knee had deterioated to the point where I couldn't sleep at night and walking was becoming a real issue, this in itself is depressing as my wife and I love to go hill and fell walking. So in November 2009 i had a right knee unicompartmental replacement on the medial side.

After the surgery everything seemed to go really well, no real pain to speak of, range of movement was good and I could sleep at night. About 3 months post op we decided to go for a walk, nothing too strenuos, roughly 6 miles mostly on flat ground. Shortly after this I developed a lot of pain in the old region ( medial side right knee ), so I went back to see my surgeon who x-rayed it and found everything was as it should be.

So I carried on best I could but found myself really struggling with the pain and now stiffness was becoming a real pain, I should explain at this point that i'm a petrol tanker driver and often sit in 1 position for a few hours at a time so the knee stiffens up really badly. The problems didn't  get any better so another trip to see the consultant who this time gave me a cortizone injection which did absolutley nothing!

Just lately, in the last couple of months, I have noticed the pain has migrated to just above the knee cap and down the lateral side, one particularly bad day the pain was so excutiating down the lateral side that I found it impossible to straighten the knee and found myself back on my crutches.The latest trip I had to see my consultant which was about a month ago wasn't very encouraging, he  told me that I have 2 options, to struggle on and see if it gets any better in time, or to have a revision to a Total knee replacement.

Can anybody tell me if they've experienced similiar problems, really fed up and in quite a lot of pain most of the time.  :'(

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: No real benefit from my unicompartmental
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 07:40:48 PM »
Tim, that is what happened to me=about a year ago, about 1.5 years following my PKR. I got terrible pain right along where my implant was plus pain under my knee cap. It eventually traveled to my lateral compartment. My ortho, a year ago, couldn't say for sure what the pain was, but a year later, he can see arthritis in my lateral compartment, and figures there is more under my knee cap. I still have a lot of pain around the implant, especially if I turn my leg/knee (twisting) it or putting pressure on the area, directly where it was replaced. All this is why I am having my PKR revised to a TKR in 2.5 weeks. YOu may end up going down that route yourself. I just know I can't go on anymore as I know it will get worse. The poor knee also had to be my good knee last April for a TKR in my other knee, which now has its own scar tissue issues (can't do anything until it's a year old as it doesn't affect my ROM at all) which are very painful.
Caroline
Chronic low platelet count
Men. surgery, both knees 2003,2007,2008
R PKR Sept. 17, 2008 - Biomet Oxford Partial
LK-TKR 4/21/2010 Biomet Vanguard Signature Knee
Scar tissue issue next to TKR knee
March 2, 2011: PKR to be revised to a TKR