Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: One step closer to solutions  (Read 978 times)

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
One step closer to solutions
« on: February 09, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
I finally found somebody who actually spent a good ten minutes just wobbing and torquing and twisting and bending my knee. I got what basically amounts to conformation that I have a pretty significant meniscus tear + slack/strained ligaments (but probably not torn) on top of the chondromalacia and a bit of OA. I am amazed that this place comprehends that I have a multipart problem that is undoubtedly going to require a multistep solution.  ;D

We're going to start with a relatively different PT plan in a totally different place, add a trial run with Voltaren gel and get me lined up for an eval that would lead to PRP injections. I know, that's pricey option there at the end but they agreed with me that my combo of damage might respond well to PRP. No guarantees but I finally feel like I have someone who at least has a clue on what could help.
'77- Rt knee menicus tear
'90 -2nd menscus tear
'91 -failed arthroscopy/partial menisectomy
patella dislocation 10/ 2010
Dx = grade 4 chondromalacia + synovitis + Meniscus tear + lax strained medial ligaments
Fall down the stairs 7/20/11 - mcl sprain + 2 meniscus tears

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: One step closer to solutions
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 08:55:23 PM »
Multipart problem? Multistep solution? That's just crazy talk!   ;D

I hope you like the Voltaren gel. I think it's pretty good stuff! Good luck with your new plan--it sounds like progress.
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline knee always hurts

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 10:05:06 PM »
Hey smillie,

So you think the Voltaren gel works pretty well? If you read my thread last week, I was talking about possibly trying a cortisone shot, but I think it might make sense to try Voltaren gel first. From what I've read, the stuff is pretty nifty. Do you think I should ask my doctor about it?

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 10:35:38 PM »
Here is my experience with it: I can't take NSAIDs and I've had a real problem with inflammation that I can't get under control. My OS put me on Voltaren gel and it has helped with a lot of that. I still have issues and I still have the sharp pains, but it has taken care of some of the arthritic ache and some of the nagging pain that was just driving me nuts.
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled