Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Young girl, big surgery!!!!! Need reassurance  (Read 20462 times)

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • When your given M&Ms ya gotta eat them!!:)
Re: Young girl, big surgery!!!!! Need reassurance
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 05:00:18 PM »
Oh my goodness rknees4, you are back posting already? How was your surgery? Are you feeling alright? I have told my daughter about all the support you have been giving me, even right before your own surgery. She can't wait to get on and thank you. We started weaning her off of the pain meds yesterday, she did pretty well. She took a percocet at around 3 in the afternoon, so that was pretty good. I'm not sure if we should take her off completely since she does start physical therapy on Tuesday. I have been told that pt may be pretty painful. She went out and walked through Kmart last night too. Think it was a little soon she's not planning any other outing until Monday when the doctor changes the bandages and hopefully removes the stitches. I've looked at others photos so I am prepared now to see what's under the bandages. Good thing she's a tom-boy, she thinks the scars are pretty cool, we like to come up with different stories about the scars. The last surgery the scars ended up looking like shark bites. Hahahaha. She's got her family coming up on Sunday to have dinner after church so that should raise her spirits. She's not so much down but bored.
I just want to say thank you again, it feels so good to have someone to talk to.
WHEN LIFE PUTS YOU IN A PICKLE : JUST EAT YOUR WAY OUT!!!!
YUM!!:)

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 06:18:05 PM »
Hey Purple,
I feel horrible but that is to be expected. All went as expected, much wear damage, and is gigantic today.  I am totally stoned while posting this so you will have to forgive the errors.  Don't cut back on the pain meds to fast.  This does hurt for a considerable length of time.  Make sure she gets something before bed so she will be comfortable while she sleeps. Yes make sure you give her something for pain about 45 minutes before PT.  Do your percs have a split line on them if they do give her half of one in the morning and regular ty 5or6 hours later and perc again before bed. The last thing she needs to remember about this is being in pain.
Bordom is a biig problem,Try and have friends over every few days and having something good to look forward to is a big help.  I am glad to hear the scars don't bother her. That will make your life easier as she ages. Nothing like WAR wounds. Yes this has to be the greatest site.
Well Take Care, and remember to take good care of yourself.  Take a break and have someone come and sit with her while you go for a walk or coffee. Your well being hinges on hers.
Let the little lady know I am thinking about her. ;)
If you have any questions just ask.
Prayers coming your way.
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
06/09 Patella mal-alignment grade 3/4 chondromalasia both knees, PFS
09/11/09 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupRK
10/02/11 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupLK
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Scope LK,/RK HW removed 28/06/12
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline MUMofpain

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 06:19:31 PM »
Hi - Well, thanks for asking... all is a little bit up and down at the moment.  

Yesterday was a really good positive day and I felt we had turned a little corner.  Went to an ACL recovery group which the physio runs at the hospital (added a post in the Kneegeeks section under the spiritual help and encouragement section).  But when I collected him from school today, he had been in for a couple of hours, he was down.  

Being out of lessons for nearly 4 weeks has put him back and this is a crucial year.  I am confident that it will turn out ok in the end and again. putting on a positive face, I am saying this to him.  

There must be a link with children who do sports being very competitive in all areas, for my son this means school work also.  

I am so glad  :) to hear your daughter has been out. Such a good sign.  Very hot where you are, I don't know how you cope in that kind of heat.      

It is 18.15pm here now and I'm off to cook dinner.  Take care and I hope you have a lovely family gathering on Sunday after church.
27th September 2010 - Tore acl at football
12th January 2011 - ACL reconstruction (Hamstring)

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 04:56:11 AM »
Purple,
Really stoned tonight. In pain, feel sick. :P  Good night and sweet dreams to you both. May tomorrow be a really goodone.
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline mermaids

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 08:23:18 AM »
Just found your thread.  Can't imagine having my child go through this.  Keep this in mind.... It is harder on you than it is on her.  Seriously.  Yes, there is pain and boredom, but I know how I get when my boys just have the flu. 

At her age, it is good to get her out for short jaunts and have friends over as much as you can tolerate it.  Netflix was my best friend.  When I couldn't sleep in the middle of the night, it was great to have a bunch of things recorded on the DVR. 

PT may be hard to watch.  It will start out slowly, but at some point, they will push her hard and it will hurt.  You know your child best.... will it be better if she doesn't have mom to whine to or will you be a source of encouragement?  The PT is really important.  Do you think she will be diligent about her home exercises?  If not, you may need to come up with some sort of motivation for her.  The good news, being young and fit, she will heal so much more quickly than us older folks.  You might have a hard time holding her back.  :) 
12/90 - scope
12/08 - lateral release
6/10 - scope (aborted attempt at TTT)
9/10 - Fulkerson TTT
12/10 - torn cartilage & possibly PCL

*results may not be typical*

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 02:59:09 AM »
Rknees4,
You are so kind to check in on us even when you are in such pain. Those pain meds are a godsend and a devil in disguise at the same time. I sure hope you feel better soon. We will be praying for a quick recovery.
What kind of surgery did you just endure? Do you have family around to help you out? Get lots of rest and we will post back soon.

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 03:04:15 AM »
Mermaids,
Thanks for the post, I thought about what you said, and you are right. I seem to be more tense and more stressed about her being in pain than she is. I am trying to let her let me know what she needs instead of being an over bearing mother.
I have been trying to at least get her to ride in the car with us, she normally doesn't want to get out but the fresh air blowing in her face at least makes her feel human. I think we have officially rented every movie available at redbox. We may have to move on to netflix. Luckily her and her brother received an xbox for christmas so this to has helped to combat the boredom. Like you said I think I worry more about her pain level and boredom than she does, besides she's getting to miss school (duh).
Thanks for the pt info

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 03:10:11 AM »
HEY Purple,
I had a TTT, Lateral release and scope clean up and scrape. No reconstruction like your little one. Yes I have my hubby of 25years and 2 of my 4 girls. I am well cared for along with several nurse friends and other helpers. I am very fortunate in that department. But being 46 makes for a longer road than your little lady. She will be skipping around before you know it. Slept most of the day just waiting to take the 11 oclock meds then back to bed.
Take care, hope you have a good weekend. Keep smiling little lady :D
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 03:11:09 AM »
Mermaids,
Sorry I hit the wrong button, guess i'll finish my post here....

I'm thinking of sitting in the waiting room while she does pt so as not to try and baby her. I want to be an encouragement to her but it's hard to watch total strangers push your child to tears. I can push her myself at home but not sure if I can handle watching it at pt. After her 1st surgery she pushed herself completely on her own. So much the physical therapist told us she was fine doing exercises on her own and released us after only two weeks of pt! Probably not such a good idea since we are now into surgery #2 for same issue. I have been worried that after this experience she would not want to do the right knee but she seems to be more ready to do the right knee now than ever.
Thanks for the encouraging words. So what kind of surgery holds you in this world of boredom?

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 03:16:40 AM »
Rknees4,
I am so knew at this I barely even know what my own daughter had, but I keep reading all these posts just like yours saying they had a TTT, may I ask what that is? That is so great you have such a good size family, it's not that often you meet people who have stayed married for any length of time. I also have been married to my husband for 17 years and have 2 other children besides Miranda. I'm glad to see it looks as if you are feeling a little better.
I start back to school on Monday. Little nervous to care for Miranda and the other two kids and school and having pt start but I know I will get through it with support from my new friends like you.

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 03:35:43 AM »
Purple,
A TTT is where they move the piece of bone your knee cap tendon connects to in order to prevent and hopefullly keep the knee cap from disllocating and subluxing(partial dislocation) and a Lateral release cutds the tissues along the outside of the knee cap to help it trck better in conjunction with the TTT. and a clean up is just that.  The smooth out the cartilage on my medial side so it won't catch for at least a little while. Sorry to groggy to explain better.
You will be fine.  You just take it one step at a time.
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline hollilyric

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2011, 10:42:49 AM »
I've had multiple arthroscopies, bilateral lateral releases and TTTs on both knees between the age of 15 and 28. Purplechick you did exactly the right thing - if i had had my knees realigned at the age of 12-13 when the cartilage was still growing i wouldn't be wheelchair bound with severe osteoarthritis now. I've had 4 operations and now am looking at cartilage regeneration surgeries (growing new cartilage in a lab and replacing my large areas of damage) or total knee replacements. my parents were told it was 'growing pains' and now they wish that they had pushed sooner so that i would have at least stood a chance of having a more active life. I have a 2 and a half year old and 10 month old so life in a wheelchair is pretty tough. I had TTTs done without the MPFL reconstruction and it is great that she had that at the same time as it helps to stop the TTT failing. I have really weak ligaments because of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome and so mine both failed after a few years as my ACL is twice as long as it should be and i've torn both of my medial ligaments

Post TTT - the first week is really painful, then it is sore for a few weeks and then it is all about strengthening your quads to support the new alignment of your knee.

all the best!
Right knee LR and TTT 1997
Bilateral arthroscopies, left knee LR June 2005
Left knee TTT December 2005
Bilateral arthroscopies & debridement Jan 2011
Ehlers-Danlos III
Grade 4 OA in patello-femoral compartment requiring bilateral TKRs

Offline hollilyric

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 10:45:27 AM »
PS I got married when I was 20 and so will be celebrating my 9th wedding anniversary this year. i wouldn't be able to cope at all if it wasn't for my amazig husband x
Right knee LR and TTT 1997
Bilateral arthroscopies, left knee LR June 2005
Left knee TTT December 2005
Bilateral arthroscopies & debridement Jan 2011
Ehlers-Danlos III
Grade 4 OA in patello-femoral compartment requiring bilateral TKRs

Offline MUMofpain

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 06:35:07 PM »
Hi.  Just logging in to say isn't it wonderful all this advice.  People on here are great in helping. 

This is what's needed, lots of reasurrance and first hand knowledge Medics can help so far but it really is good to speak with people who have gone through the same things even though everyone's story is different.   

My son had an awfully painful day yesterday.  I was still up at 3.00 in the morning, just couldn't sleep with concern (I won't say worry as I try not to!).  Thank God today he seems a bit better...hope yours and your daughters is good too.  :)

ps.  Just thought I'd join in... we will have been married 20 years in September :) :) :)
27th September 2010 - Tore acl at football
12th January 2011 - ACL reconstruction (Hamstring)

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 08:36:17 PM »
Rk4,
Hope all is well today. I understand the grogginess, how are you doing?

support