Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Young girl, big surgery!!!!! Need reassurance  (Read 20338 times)

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • When your given M&Ms ya gotta eat them!!:)
Young girl, big surgery!!!!! Need reassurance
« on: February 09, 2011, 02:33:02 AM »
My daughter had a Fulkerson osteotmy/MPFL reconstruction on Feb. 3 and has only been home for 2 days. Pain is under control with lots of narcotics but she has begun to run fever of 101.6, anyone with any advice. This is her third knee surgery and she is only 13 years old. The last surgery she had both knees done at once, we learnt our lesson there. This time she had only her left knee done, we will work on the right one in a year or so. I think I am just looking for some support and reassurance that I made the right decision for my baby! Thank you!
WHEN LIFE PUTS YOU IN A PICKLE : JUST EAT YOUR WAY OUT!!!!
YUM!!:)

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: Young girl, big surgery!!!!! Need reassurance
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 04:00:27 AM »
Do you have discharge instructions? My OS's instructions say to call immediately if there is a fever of 101.5 or more. See what your instructions say. You may need to call.

It is a big surgery and may even be scarier for the person supporting the patient. Hang in there! There are many diaries in the post-op diary area for TTTs and MPFL reconstructions. It may help you to read a few of them to get an idea of what to expect. But if that would do more harm than good tonight, then you may want to wait for a bit. It is a really painful surgery, especially in the first few days. But it is going to get better. It's kind of a long haul recovery, but she'll get there!
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 04:21:47 AM »
Purplechick13
It really is a rough surgery. I would call someone to check. Especially as that fever is present with all the meds. Better to be safe than sorry.
The Mom thing can be so difficult. We would take all the pain ourselves if we could.  Hang in there it does get better, but this will be a fairly lengthly recovery especially for someone so young but that can also be a positive, they do tend to heal faster. Just pop back and keep us up dated and we will do our best to ease your fears and apprehension. Tell that brave girl of yours she will get better.  She does need you to be as positive as you can be.
Take Care, :)
Rknees4
Knee pain since teens
06/09 Patella mal-alignment grade 3/4 chondromalasia both knees, PFS
09/11/09 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupRK
10/02/11 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupLK
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Scope LK,/RK HW removed 28/06/12
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline Skiier Jo Jo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 09:10:12 AM »
Did you call?  Is she OK?  Saw this this morning and it sounds like a possible infection.....although could also be just a nasty cold/flu virus.
Skier JoJo
Skiier Jo Jo

Aged 33
Fractured tibial tubercle (plus other bits sloughed off!) and displaced meniscus on 24th Dec 2010
Emergency surgery - Zimmer plate and 10 screws (8 permanent). Straight leg brace
Physio started on day 6. 
Feb 2011 - almost fully straighten leg, with up to 85 degree bend

Offline keepupwith

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 09:33:28 AM »
Hope she's better today, but if not contact the doctor. The pain meds should be relieving the temperature somewhat and if they aren't she needs checking out. Good luck

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 02:29:50 PM »
I sure appreciate having some one to talk to that knows what she is going through. I did call the OS, he had me give her some Tylenol and we put ice packs under the arm pits. The fever is down to 99.8, still watching it. We have yet to see the incision, it is wrapped pretty tight and she is afraid to remove the brace for any reason. However I am more concerned that she has such a nasty cough with the fever. I have heard many times people come down with pneumonia after surgery. She sees OS Monday morning to have bandages changed, can anyone prepare us for we will see under the bandages? This website has been so helpful because of some of the posts I read before surgery I was able to ask for things like the femoral block which help control the pain for the first 23 hours. Thank everyone who has replied I needed to know there were people to talk to.

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 02:40:57 PM »
Yes she could have pneumonia. Trust your mom instincts. If you think someone should see her because of the cough go bundle her up and take her. better to be safe than sorry. Call your GP to get his/her take on the prob.
As for what is under the bandages every surgeon does this differently she could have one long incision to 3 or 4  small ones. Tell her they will all get pale and will hardly be noticeable. Hang in there MOM things will get better the early days are the hardest pain wise but when PT starts be prepared for many tears and an angry little girl.
We are here for you there is always someone on.  Try just to keep one thread going .
Take Care,
Thoughts and prayers coming your way.
Rk4
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 03:03:33 PM by Rknees4 »
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 04:18:44 PM »
When I had my TTT/LR/VMO surgery, the thing I dreaded most was looking at my knee the first time. I had one incision several inches long down where the TTT was done and a second incision several inches long where the VMO work was done. But it definitely varies from surgeon to surgeon. And yes, I was very afraid to take the brace off for any reason. It's normal and you get through it eventually. Poor girl and poor mom! You're going to make it--just grit your teeth and get through these early days and it will get easier.
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline MUMofpain

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 05:13:35 PM »
I've just logged in to say hello to you.  I hope all is ok with your daughter with regard to her temperature and cough. 

I totally get where you are with regard to having a child who has just gone through knee surgery.  Unfortunately I can't help or give advice with your daughter's particular type of surgery because my son had different surgery, an acl reconstruction last month after an accident in September last year playing football but, even though he is a bit older at 16, I can empathise with you having a 13 year old to get through the next few weeks.

We came away from the hospital (in London, same day surgery in-and-out) with absolutely no information about what to do or expect after surgery other than one sheet of exercises and 5 days worth of pain killers. The nurses were suprised when I asked about icing the knee and thought it wasn't that important. Thats why the people on this forum have been so great, by filling in the bits you haven't been told.

I think the worse thing is when they are in pain and you cannot take it away.  My mantra is that yes it is awful at the moment but it will get better, its getting better each day and it will eventually be a distant memory. I must admit I had a good (private) cry for the first two nights but have pulled myself together now.  It is so imporant to be positive for them.

Schooling has taken a very second place to all of this, my main aim is too keep him as happy as possible until he gets his independance back.  I have just come off the playstation with him having had to play a motocross racing game for 2 hours to take his mind off his pain and bordom :-\! I am though hoping to loose a few pounds though running up and down the stairs a hundred times each day as there is always something left downstaris when I am up - usually ice :). Lots of little treats - I got him a Subway for lunch today as they are his favs. 

I know this isn't a very medical reply but, its good to know that there are people on this forum to listen to you. 
27th September 2010 - Tore acl at football
12th January 2011 - ACL reconstruction (Hamstring)

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 10:46:32 PM »
My daughter's first surgery went as well as your sons. We went into the hospital with the expectation she would have orthoscopic surgery and very tiny incisions on both insides of her knees, a surgery that was only to take an hour and a half. Three hours later I was told both of her knees needed to be opened and she would have 4-5 inch gashes on both knees. The doctor never even came out to talk to me. She was awaken, given crutches and kicked out the door with in an hour. I had no clue what to do. Isn't it frustrating?!
Guess it's all part of being a MOM though. At the same time my daughter was going through this ailment my son received a compressed fracture to the neck playing football at 9 years old. Guess we have to get used to these injuries as mothers of active children.
I have a third child, she is the eldest of the 3 and has begun track and field, pole vaulting of all things. So far she has had no serious injuries. She is also a dancer so she stays pretty limber. I wish my daughter was more into racing games, she wants to kill zombies all day, I just can't bring myself to play.
Thanks  for sharing your story with me, makes me feel more comfortable to know other moms have to go through these injuries with their children as well!

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 11:10:25 PM »
Purplechick13,
You tell that brave little lady of yours she will be great.  I will be doing a similar surgery with a few extras as I am 46, so I have to have some extra internal joint work, but will be in similar pain. When she is feeling better maybe you can let her post in your presence so we can all send her our best so she knows there are lots of KneeGeeks going through what she has.  She will find comfort that she isn't the only one. ;D
I have four daughters but have been fortunate to only had to deal with a broken toe and a broken thumb and a broken hand.
Hang in there she needs you to be strong so she knows everything will be fine
Take Care, and thanks for the best wishes.
You can do it little lady,  ;)
Rk4 8)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 11:36:28 PM by Rknees4 »
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 01:03:44 PM »
Purplechick13,
How's the little lady today.  Hope the fever has broken and all is healing.
Take Care,
Hang in there little lady.  ;)  About to join my littlest partner in pain.
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline MUMofpain

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 11:44:04 PM »
Hi.  Yes, I was also wondering how your daughter is today, and how you are doing.  I know it is hard to do anything other than just keep afloat at the moment especially as you have two other children also. 

It was funny reading your post about the fact that we have to put up with these injuries having such active and sporty kids. Saying that, my daughter is a bit of a couch potato but came home from school last week with a form for me to sign allowing her to go skiing next year!!!! As my son's injury primarily happens during football or skiing my son is saying don't let her go. What can I do? I have to let her go. I have friends who let their children just sit at home watching tv and playing on their ps 3s, they never have any injuries as they don't do anything.

Anyway, I hope you are feeling a little bit less worried than you were at first and have more information to go on. :)

27th September 2010 - Tore acl at football
12th January 2011 - ACL reconstruction (Hamstring)

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 03:00:14 PM »
Morning Purplechick13
How is your little lady this today. I hope she is starting to feel better and more sure she will get better.
And how is MOM this morning?
Well have to go put my leg up.
Take Care,
Prayers coming your way. :)
Keep us posted on your progress together.
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 04:53:56 PM »
MUMofpain,
I agree with you, I would rather have my children get injured enjoying life than to have early health problems due to their inactivity. My girls have both started to join a skii club and then other things became more important and I'm not gonna lie I felt relieved. My 13 year old and my son have begged to play ice hockey but I have tried to steer them away from that also. Health insurance covers more than dental insurance!!! Hahahahah.
I am feeling so much better with all the comforting replies I have recieved. We actually started weaning her off the narcotics yesterday, she did pretty well. She needed to take a percocet about midway through the day. She also went on her first outing last night, she decided to go with me to pick up some pants she had picked out to fit over the brace. I think it was a little more than she bargained for. We live in the High Desert of California and it was about 43 degrees out last night and by the time she got to the back of the store she was dripping sweat, stripping her jackets. But we had a good laugh and got her back to the car very slowly.
How are things with your son? Is he getting back to what we call a normal life?

support