Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Young girl, big surgery!!!!! Need reassurance  (Read 20328 times)

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • PCL recovery blog
Re: Young girl, big surgery!!!!! Need reassurance
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2011, 05:39:27 PM »
Hi purplechick and Mom! I can't relate to the pain or rehab of the big surgery you had, I only had a PCL reconstruction myself, but I am offering you my support in the rehab. And when you go back to school, you need to jazz up those crutches. You can go to a crafts store, by different fabrics or glues, and go crazy. Ribbons in your favorite color wrapping around the crutches like a candy cane, glue on some rhinestones. You have to give those things some personality. When I was going in for my surgery, someone had bought there own crutches with them, they were zebra print and then, underneath the armpits, she had tacked on some zebra fabric and a zebra head coming off the support. It was so cute, I wish I could have gotten away with something like that, but unfortunately, I don't think it would have flied at the hospitals I was interviewing at.

Make sure you keep up your therapy at home and your schoolwork. And mom, don't watch the therapy, it will just make you sick. When I first started rehab, I was non weight bearing and couldn't drive, so I was relying on Taxi Mom/Dad/boyfriend/grandpa/sister to get me to and from PT. One time, my dad came to get me a bit early, when I was still being stretched, and I only had about 60 degrees of flexion, if that. They told him he can come to the back to meet my therapist and wait for me. He came back, and became so nauseous, almost passed out from watching my PT try to force my knee to bend more. After that, if my dad ever came early again, he would very happily wait in the car until I came out. Although, they do say that women are stronger than men, so maybe you can handle it better than my dad  :P
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • When your given M&Ms ya gotta eat them!!:)
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2011, 02:44:24 AM »
Hey Rk4,
Are you gonna become a Contortionist or something dang its hard for me to bend past 10!!Lol! Im glad that you are doing well! Have you been doing your home pt ?! :D I have one night i had to do most of it my self because mom forgot  :P! I havent been having to take any pain meds in the last two days been doing pretty good. ;D But i think un a couple of weeks ima have to start again and ima need a stress reliever doll too!!lol.  ;) Moms back in school too ithink she already told you.. Im kind of happy but then kinda ehhh.. Cuz when moms in school shes stressed and with me having the surgery thats even more..sooo? well see how it goes!!!!!!!!!! :o

Hope your doing as good as i am mayb even better!! ;)
TAAAAAAAG!! :D
WHEN LIFE PUTS YOU IN A PICKLE : JUST EAT YOUR WAY OUT!!!!
YUM!!:)

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2011, 02:48:27 AM »
Hi soozles,
Whhhaaaattttssss uuupppp!! I have already tricked out my crutches.. ;D They are sooo awesome they are striped purple and green and have cool stickers all over them!! they look pretty neat. I hope yours do too.. when i was in the hospital i had to do physical therapy there until i left and i had to use their walker that was an ugly but brighttt orange!! iit was kinda cool thats where i got the idea from soo.... Post backk!!!! :)

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2011, 04:29:21 AM »
Well my little partner in pain. :D  Glad to hear you are doing your PT, but don't forget the homework. :-\ You will keep trying and soon it will be 20
Soozles going to be a Peadiatric DR. 3 more months and we can call her DR Soozles, I call her Doc now though.  Try not to worry about your mom everything always comes out in the wash. ;D School for older people is harder, we have a harder time remembering stuff. I am playing hooky this term because I have the knee thing going on, but come September I will be back at University as well.  Well Miranda the bend is better but the pain not so much. :(
Well sweety, time for me to go to bed.  You have a good day tomorrow, do the homework and the pT and Ice after the pt. Remember it is ok if it hurts to bend just keep trying. I know you can do it. ;D
Till later and NA NA NA you are ITTTTT ;)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 03:13:23 PM by Rknees4 »
Knee pain since teens
06/09 Patella mal-alignment grade 3/4 chondromalasia both knees, PFS
09/11/09 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupRK
10/02/11 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupLK
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Scope LK,/RK HW removed 28/06/12
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
    • PCL recovery blog
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2011, 01:40:09 PM »
Hiya Little Dudette (that's you, Miranda, cause you're not going to be in pain much longer  8) ). Your crutches sound really cool, I would love to see a picture of them sometime (but not of you, you shouldn't be posting pics of yourself online). I wanted to make my crutches snazzy, but I was interviewing for some pretty big stuff when I was on crutches, being on crutches was enough of a conversation starter. But, I did have a red thing where the handle was to adjust the height of the handle, so I did try to match the red and silver of my crutches. But, I'm not using them anymore. When all my knee friends are finally off crutches, I think there should be a crutch burning party. Although, in the era of metal crutches, it'll be more of a crutch melting. I'm very proud of your mom for being back in school, but older people... they tend to forget things much easier, so you make sure you remind her to do her homework!

Anyhoo, I hope you have a good day and do everything you're supposed to. I'm going to try to go back to bed, because this is what I woke up today, and it just doesn't seem fair.

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2011, 03:04:32 PM »
Hey Soozles,
You have been quit a fun post for my daughter, she says you sound as crazy and fun as she is. I think it is pretty amazing you finishing med school and going through your knee issues you are the kind of role model I love to have around my daughter. I want her to know that just cuz she has two bum knees she can still obtain her goals. She wants to play softball for ASU someday, this is why she is trying to get the knees in shape. Keeps her pushing on the PT! This fall she will start High School and hopes to make the softball team there the 1st year no probs. (I know she will!) THen when the season is over she will have the right knee surgery and be recovered by time sophomore tryouts happen! Yesterday was pretty tough, her knee isn't bothering her but she has pulled a muscle or something in her shoulder, her OS is sending her for an MRI, he's afraid her rotator cuff may be tearing. But we are praying it's just a pulled muscle or even sore muscle.
Well thanks for your upbeat posts and congrats on that MD degree, eventually that's where I would like to be. Been trying to decide if I want to go in the nursing program or med school. I love school so either way will be cool for me. We have lots of doctors in the family right now, my 15 year old is working on a scholarship to UCLA and would like to be a doctor when she is done growing up!
LOVE THE DOG!!!!!!!!!!

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2011, 03:50:20 PM »
Hey Rk4,
It's mom, had few minutes before we leave for PT so I thought I'd write you a line. How's everything going? Sounds like your PT is coming along, how's the pain? Can you give me an estimate on how long people use these crutches after surgery. My husband is going to New Jersey for some schooling in April and would like each of the kids to fly out and spend a weekend with him but Miranda doesn't want to go if she is still going to have to mess with the crutches. Dad's not very good when his kids are sick or injured! :o Miranda's knee has been doing very well, she's staying up on her PT with/or without mom's help. But yesterday morning she woke up and couldn't move her arm by last night it was somewhat better, she still can't lift it up from the shoulder at all. I'm sure it's just from having to carry her weight around with her arms but none the less I am a MOOOOOM and she is going to see Dr today, he's afraid it could be her rotator cuff. So wish us luck.
Talk to you more later it's time to get on the road.
MOM

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
    • PCL recovery blog
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2011, 07:27:34 PM »
Purplechick, look up crutch palsy. The nerves that control your arm run in the armpit, and if the crutches are too high, it will compress those nerves causing problems with the muscles or feelings in the arms. I had alot of pain when using the crutches, a chiropractor put me back to normal. I doubt it's a rotator cuff bc usually with those,  you can raise your arms out to the side but you can't hold hem there, they just drop down. And usually you get the tear from a fall. Just my armchair diagnosis though, make sure she gets checked out. If it's crutch palsy, it should go away on it's own if you get the crutches adjusted properly, and maybe add some padding to the top of the crutch to give her a wider base to rest against the rib cage and her arms. I wanted to say something else but I'm on my phone so I'll be back later.

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
    • PCL recovery blog
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2011, 08:47:28 PM »
Woops, I missed the part above where you said she felt like she pulled a muscle doing something. I think I caught something from the germy people in the emergency room that don't cover their mouths when they cough and sneeze all over you. So I apologize for being a little loopy right now.

I'm quite flattered that you would consider me a role model, but honestly, I don't think of myself that way. I just do what I have to do, and I do what's right for me. And as for the knee issues, the last year is probably hte best time to do it. The second half of your final year is known as the extended vacation, everyone is just biding their time until graduation. Everyone knows it too, the rotations are much easier, less stressful. Yea, interviewing with crutches was difficult because I was non weight bearing, but at least it was a good conversation starter. To be honest, I would consider someone such as yourself more as a role model, going back to school with kids is incredibly difficult. My mom did the same thing when I was younger, she went back for her masters degree, essentially as a single mom of 2 young kids. My dad left for work at 6 am, and would come back at around 8 or 9 pm. It took my mom a few years to get her degree because she was working during the day, and so could only take evening classes. She started taking classes when I was in kindergarten and my sister in 2nd grade, she used whatever pages were left in our old notebooks because there wasn't that much extra cash for her to buy new books, but she always made sure that my sister and I always had what we needed. What really amazes me is that even though my dad was working those crazy long hours, and my mom was working and at school at the same time, neither one of them ever missed any of our piano recitals or school plays. And I only realized how difficult what they did really was when I got older, I can't even imagine how somebody is able to go to school when they have kids at home to look after. So thank you, but I'm not the role model, people like you or my mom are the real role models. And Miranda too, for not letting her knee keep her back. I'm sure that she will be hitting home runs before long.

As for nursing vs. medicine, you have to do what you prefer, don't settle. If you really want to go to medical school, then do that because you will never be happy in nursing if you really wanted to be a doctor. And it's not that much more schooling, although if you count residency as part of your education, then I guess it's longer. Also, I am assuming you're in the US, so you can look into osteopathic medical schools. In the US, it's an equivalent degree to MD, you can apply for the same residency, have the same practice rights, etc. Traditionally, the MD schools are not so welcoming of the "non-traditional" student, but the osteopathic schools are more forgiving of former bad grades, more accepting of non traditional. The DO degree is actually the route I took, I'll admit that my first MCAT score was terrible, but the repeat was a pretty darn good score, but because of family issues, I needed to stay in the area. The MD schools in my area are all very competitive, and they couldn't overlook the first low MCAT score, so I am in the DO school in my area, and I am going to be starting residency at an excellent children's hospital, so I don't think it held me back at all. Sorry if this is incoherent, I'm under the influence of Sudafed right now.

Nursing is a great career too though, it just wasnt right for me. I like the mystery of seeing a patient and figuring out what's wrong with them, like getting to play detective. Nursing, you don't really get to do that, but they're still vital in healthcare. Sounds like you got some great kids. Although if the older one wants to be a doctor, get ready for lots of tears and to throw down lots of money. After one of my exams in undergrad, I was so convinced I failed, it to this day remains the most difficult exam of my life, and it was only 5 questions, so not much room for error. I called my mom in tears, and she actually drove an hour to my college to take me out for dinner. A week later, the final grades came out, and my mother was ready to smack me when I got an A-. The scary thing is a lot of my med school friends have similar stories, so get ready.

Offline Runner1993

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2011, 02:48:57 AM »
Hey PurpleChick13. I just read yours and your mom's posts for the first time. I had almost the same exact surgery as you (TTT/MPFL reconstruction/Lateral Release) on January 14. I'm a 17 year old female and am a senior in high school. I have to congratulate you on your courage, strength, and perseverance. This is a tough surgery and the rehab takes a lot of dedication. You are very young to go through something like this, but I hope the support from the people on here and your devoted mom has been making things better! I hope to keep reading about your progress :)
July 21, 2009 - First Patella Dislocation
December 7, 2009 - Lateral release, medial reefing, and plica excision
January 14, 2011- TTT, MPFL Reconstruction, and Lateral Release

Offline MUMofpain

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2011, 09:35:26 AM »
Hi pc13. Thanks for the note. Tried to reply but I think the message disappeared ??? so redoing it here.  Yes, all going ok, slow but steady at 6 weeks post op. Had a little mishap last week which put us back a bit  :). During the night he must have violently jerked in his sleep and was in agony that combined with the panic that he had damaged the hamstring graft made for quite a difficult week. Aparently it is not uncommon to do this as the nerves start coming back to life. So in the end I made a splint for him to wear at night (good job he has a crafty mum!) two pieces of balsa wood, a sock at each end to soften any sharp edges and elecric tape to wrap round and hold secure during the night (must take a photo for the scrapbook page :) :) :)).

I'm glad to say my hubbie has a weeks holiday so he is helping with the driving to pt and general 'nursing'. On a brighter note he has been given the green light to go back to the gym for some gentle upper body stuff - marvellous.

As school is on 1/2 term hols this week one of his teachers has come over and is doing 3 x 2 hr sessions of Physics lesson catch-ups which it great (not for him though ;D). Another boy in my son's class is joining him here each day as he has been ill and has missed loads of school also. Aiming to get him back to full-time study next week which I'm sure will be fine as most days he finishes around 1.40pm.

I am so pleased to see how well your daughter is doing and the support she is geting from all the others on here, invaluable isn't it? How are you coping, have you got any energy? I must admit the emotional and physical support has been exhausting but it is getting better day by day.. chat soon...

27th September 2010 - Tore acl at football
12th January 2011 - ACL reconstruction (Hamstring)

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2011, 03:30:32 PM »
Soozles,
You sure gave me a lot (more) to think about, thank you so much for all the insight. You may not think of yourself as a role model but just by sharing your insights and advice you are now MY role model also. So we looked up crutch palsy and I think you are right (your gona be a great doc). She has the crutches set very low so as not to use her armpits but her hands when she walks, however when her legs get tired while she's walking she tends to lean on the crutches to rest. We put a heating pad around it yesterday and gave her some motrin and it seemed to help. She was planning to go to school this morning but when she woke up she couldn't lift the arm again. Looks like more heat and motrin again today! PT went so wonderful yesterday too, she blew the PT away she bent her knee to 60 degrees, she even got the calf up off the bed with no assistance. She learnt to walk up and down the stairs. I was so proud! ;D ;D ;D
It was so good to hear your feeling towards your mom. You know when are kids are teenagers they don't tend to show that they know how important we think they are. I lead a life much like your mom. I have 3 active kids, my oldest is 15 and runs track and field and cross country for her high school, she also takes a hip hop class, 2 jazz classes, and is doing a duet class for her dance studio. Miranda who you know is 13 and actually damaged her knees playing soccer and now has been completely committed to softball and getting her knees back in shape. THis is the 2nd knee surgery she has gone through with one more pending. My son is 11 and plays seasonal sports. Right now we are in baseball season where I have been the team mom for 4 years in a row, he also plays basketball and football in which I am the team AD. I have had to only miss 1 baseball game because I was at a dance recital with  my oldest. My husband of 17 years has just changed his schedule from nights to days so that he can help a little. He travels 90 miles to work so he leaves the house at 4 am and doesn't get home until 5pm but he has picked up coaching football and baseball so at least it relives me from having to go to all the practices too.
How long since you had your surgery? I absolutely love this website, do we have to stop posting when she is all healed? Hehehehehehe The people on here have been so helpful and inspiring. I read posts for about a month before Miranda's surgery not until I had questions did I decide to become a member now I wonder what took me so long!

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2011, 04:02:44 PM »
runner1993,
It was so nice to hear from someone more my daughter's age. How is your recovery going? Your not to far ahead of her either so you could be our guidelines if you don't mind. She went to PT yesterday and blew the PT away, she was able to bend her knee to 60 degrees, lifted her calf off the bed (1st time) on her own, climbed stairs. She was headed back to school this morn but when she woke up she couldn't lift her arm again. :-\ O-well she still has homework to catch up on anyhow. Are you still using crutches? She can't wait to get rid of the crutches, the brace however is like a security blanket, she had a harm time losing the brace last surgery to. So how did you hurt your knee, is it just one or both? Miranda had the left one done but still has to do the right knee next year. Her dad and I tried to convince the doc to do both knees at once but he refused now I'm glad he made us do 1 at a time. She wants to get back to playing softball so bad I thought getting both knees done at once would benefit her but we now have a new plan. She will be going to high school this fall and trying out for the freshmen team, once the season is over she'll get the right knee done so that she'll have 1 year to heal before her sophomore season starts!
I'm sure she'll be posting you as soon as she gets up, she tends to think she is the only teenager in the world who has had to have knee surgery (old people surgery) is what she calls it. Hahahahahahaha

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2011, 04:16:42 PM »
MUMofpain,
I was so relieved to hear everything was going ok, just busy. I have been worried about you guys. I had never heard of these jerks before, is this what I have to look forward to? I'm glad to hear your husband has a had a chance to help out not only does that relieve some pressure from you but I'm sure creates a bonding time for father and son.
My daughter was going to return to school this morn but she has been having problems with her shoulder. One of our friends on this website said it's from leaning on the crutches. She put a heating pad and took motrin yesterday and it seemed to help yet this morn when she woke up again she couldn't lift the arm. So guess she'll be doing homework at the house again today. She is completely off the pain meds now just taking motrin for the inflammation. I am surprised and proud at how well she is doing.
My kids haven't even got to Physics in school yet, not an easy class to get caught up in. It's good you are able to get someone to come to the house and help out. Having a friend probably helps break up the monotony too.
I love this website I have received so much encouragement and advice, I wish I could stay in touch with the people we have met on here forever. I feel like I have received more through these people I have never met than I have from family and friends I have known for years.
If you don't mind me asking I would love to know where in Europe you guys are from? My daughter's life time dream is to visit Europe, she has actually been studying french for 3 years. Her and my husband were planning a trip there last year but with the surgery finances became quite tight. My sister-in-law's husband's family all came from Paris. In fact he has a sister who still lives there.
Well got to help Miranda get some breakfast. Good to hear from you. Good luck this week and try and get some rest while your husband is hope. Sending our prayers through our post!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Runner1993

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2011, 05:06:24 PM »
The board is great. If it wasn't for this, I wouldn't know anyone who had a surgery like mine (patella realignment). Everyone my age is ACL.

That's great progress. When was her surgery?

I am still using crutches. However, my surgeon had me WBAT from the start even encouraging me to put weight on it to promote bone healing. If I had school or was out in public, I would be using both crutches. I have winter break this week though so my pt told me to use one at home and stuff, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with one at school yet.

I initially dislocated my kneecap running down a hill in July of 2009. Then, I had repeated instability and no conservative treatment fixed it. I had my first surgery in December of 2009, but it didn't work. I have no instability in my right knee, however, it does hurt. It also will clunk until I crack it with pain when I use to ride the bike at pt (before my surgery). If you look at it, you can see the bad tracking, but no instability thank goodness. Surgeon told me I will probably end up having some of the same problems with that knee since my knees are built the same way. But my other knee is no wheres near bad enough shape to even consider surgical intervention.

Here is my post-op diary if you want to follow along.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=54765.0

July 21, 2009 - First Patella Dislocation
December 7, 2009 - Lateral release, medial reefing, and plica excision
January 14, 2011- TTT, MPFL Reconstruction, and Lateral Release

support