Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Young girl, big surgery!!!!! Need reassurance  (Read 20265 times)

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • When your given M&Ms ya gotta eat them!!:)
Re: Young girl, big surgery!!!!! Need reassurance
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2011, 08:41:37 PM »
MUMofpain,
Yes I love this website, they should advice any persons going through knee surgery of this website. I think it should have been listed on our discharge papers! Hahaha.
I'm so sorry to hear your son had such an awful day, my daughter to had an awful night. I guess we have to come to expect the bad with the good. Keep your head up you seem to be a very good support for your son.
It seems to be all us strong ladies have a good strong support system behind us. Couldn't do it without the support of our husbands. It's so crazy too because so often it seems these trials tear marriages apart and the women on here I have spoke with it just seems to bring them closer to their husbands.
Hope today was a better day for your son and for you. Keep your faith, things will only get better!
WHEN LIFE PUTS YOU IN A PICKLE : JUST EAT YOUR WAY OUT!!!!
YUM!!:)

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2011, 08:49:51 PM »
holllyric,
Thanks for sharing your story with me, sure makes me feel better. As a mom it's always hard to see your child in pain and this has made me doubt my decisions. Thanks to you I am feeling confident about my decision again. I'm still not sure what the difference between a TTT and a Fulkerson osteotomy is, sounds about the same. My daughter also received graphs from a donor the OS was going to try and fold her cartilage but it was to damaged.
Will you be able to be more active if you opt to do the TKR? No matter what our children cherish our time and love more than our activity level. Cherish every moment of those babies of yours, they grow up way to fast to let anything, including bad knees get in our way. Do you mind if I ask you to explain to me what Ehlers-Danlos syndrome is?
Thanks again for the reassuring wisdom, I sure appreciate it.

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2011, 02:57:17 AM »
Purple
They are similar but different a Fulkerson takes a larger piece of tibia when reattached usually has more screws but not always the direction the piece of bone is reattached differs between TTT's. If you look at the info hub it tells you the difference.
Hope the little lady had a good day. Remember it is Ok to give her something for the pain if the heavy duty stuff worries you Extra strength ty is good.  She will have days where it doesn't hurt alot then the next day it can be very bad. No 2 days are the same. Hang in there both of you. ;)
Hope you have a good week. :)
Take Care,
Rk4
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 03:24:33 AM by Rknees4 »
Knee pain since teens
06/09 Patella mal-alignment grade 3/4 chondromalasia both knees, PFS
09/11/09 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupRK
10/02/11 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupLK
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Scope LK,/RK HW removed 28/06/12
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline hollilyric

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2011, 07:21:47 PM »
yes there are different procedures which are all TTTs (tibial tuberosity transfer). my first surgeon did an elmslie-trillat...they are just the same basic process but different surgeons have preferences over the specifics.
ehlers-danlos is a genetic disorder which affects all connective tissue (skin, ligaments, uterus) and there are 6 different types. i have type 3 (sometimes known as hypermobility syndrome) which means by joints are affected but not my heart. i wasn't formally diagnosed until my pregnancy as a few things arose which meant i had to have 2 c sections and i was sterilised following my second son's birth. my ligaments are very weak because or it and so they would have to use donor ligaments if they choose to do any reconstructions...i will find out on march 15th what they have planned! I would be happy to have TKRs now as i have really poor quality of life and really struggle to do much with the boys.

my parents found it hard to put me through the surgery when i was 15 and they have had moments when they've regretted it because it didn't really help to slow the progression of my arthritis due to not being properly diagnosed with EDS. but as i said before - the earlier the better with these  types of things x
Right knee LR and TTT 1997
Bilateral arthroscopies, left knee LR June 2005
Left knee TTT December 2005
Bilateral arthroscopies & debridement Jan 2011
Ehlers-Danlos III
Grade 4 OA in patello-femoral compartment requiring bilateral TKRs

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2011, 10:50:43 PM »
Hi Rk4 this is your little partner in pain, Miranda, i just wanted to say hi and thanks for talking to my mom and giving her some good advice. I hope i can start talking to you more often. Today i just got my stitches taken out . My doctor used just one stitch so i guess thats better than my last surgery wen she had about 20 in each leg. So when ever you reply back ill be reeeally haappyy!! :D

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2011, 12:39:13 AM »
Hi Miranda,
It is so good to hear from you.  You just made my whole day. :D So it wasn't so bad getting the stitches out.  That is good.  Some Doctors realize that stitches aren't fun and put the zipper kind in there, then they only have to cut one knot and the come out so easy. :P Remember you still need to be careful, NO goofing around to rough yet ;) Hope to hear from you again soon.  I went for my first PT it wasn't so bad. It does hurt a little.  Just make sure mom gives you some tylenol before you have your first. :o
Take Care, TTYL. :)
Rk4 8)
Say HI to your Mom for me. Be good ;) and oh yeah TAG you are IT!!!!!!!!!! (your turn to post) ;D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 12:59:39 AM by Rknees4 »
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2011, 09:08:40 PM »
Im back Rk4!! And my mom says HEY. Thanks for the advice for pt. I was supposed to have my first pt today but the doctor didnt send us or them exact guidelines so they wouldnt let me do it.YES!! :) lol.But i had to reshedule so i go back on thursday. :'(. So ill use your tyenol advice again. ;) But i got to go back to skool for a couple of minutes this morning and i got to do morning announcments. :) But we still had more time bfor we had to go to pt so we went to walmart and got some fabric to put on some padding for my arm hadle things and the armpits cause im starting to get some blisters!
So good luck back to you too!!!!! :P
TAG YOUR IT! YOU POST NEXT!!! ;D

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2011, 09:22:54 PM »
Hey Miranda,
Now that was lucky getting out of PT. ;D I have it again on Thursday as well. :(  So glad to hear you got back to school for a bit. :D Those crutches can be hard on the pits and hands. ::)  That is a good idea to put some material on them, then they will have your personality all over them. 8) Me i did my home PT today and my knee has gotten as big as a basket ball. So back to the ice and putting it up.  Make sure you still take some time with that leg up and keep it cool 8) I know it can be boring but then it won't hurt too much.  Well have to go spend some time with my little girl she is 15 and started highschool in september.
You be good and don't hassle your mom too much ::)
Take Care and TAG your it.
Rk4 ;D
Hi Mom ;)
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2011, 02:45:03 AM »
Hi Miranda,
So how is my little partner in pain? Hope you had a good day and that the knee didn't hurt as much as it has been. Looks like tomorrow is PT my knee is still swollen so It could be very interesting.  You will have to let me know how PT goes for you.. It is also OK to get a little mad if it hurts a bit use that to help you bend it.
Take care of your mom Miranda,Your big partner in pain ;)
Rk4 and TAG you are Still IT ;D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 02:47:53 AM by Rknees4 »
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2011, 11:45:48 PM »
Hey Rk4, ;D
Your Litle Partner in Pain is back!!!! lol. Soo i had my first pt today it wasnt too bad ime just happy she was really nice!:) I was kinda of scared before i went but once i started it was super easy, well for the first day. So im glad your pt went well . I also got some paper of excercises i have to do at home. Like walL walk things were i have to walk my leg down the wall to bend it or another way to bend it was heel raise were i just have to walk my heel up. I can only bend my knee about ten degrees but the pt ladie said that was ok cuz it was my first time. :) THANK GOODNESS! Soo i hope your pt keeps going good......
I had A question that im not sure youll be able to answer buuuut ill ask any how. My knee keeps cracking mostly when i either stand up or when i sit down. It sounds and feels like when you crack your knuckles. Cuz it just feels so relived after it cracks....... HOPE TO HEAR BACK SOON!! :)

TAG!! If I was it then I tag you!! YOUR IT!! NOOOOOO TAG BACKS!! :P

:D HOPE YOU GET BETTER TOO!!

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2011, 12:26:05 AM »
Hey My little partner in pain. ;D  That was a great bend the first time out. ;D  It is kind of scary even for us old folks. :-\ You do all your PT at home just like they ask you too.  I know it does hurt sometimes but you have to do it to get up and running again. :D My knee is doing the crack crunch thing as well It is totally NORMAL it happens to all of us. JUst be careful.  If it ever hurts REALLY REALLY bad be sure to tell your MOM especially if it keeps hurting after the crunch and crack ::) Kind of reminds me of a bag of chips being stepped on. ;D
Well my PT went OK. PT thought I didn't look so good, so I told her if someone broke her knee up and a week later someone was asking you to bend it as far as you can you wouldn't look so good either.  I have 125 degree bend but we didn't have exactly the same surgery you had more soft tissue work that will cause you to bend a little slower.  So don't worry you didn't bend the same as I did. You still did wonderful. :D  The goal is just to get a little better everyday. ;)
Now I have to go help my daughter with some homework.
You take care and I WILL talk to you soon. :o  8) If you have any
other questions I will answer them if I can.  PT people are also good if you have any questions. ???
Be sure to put ice on your knee at night after PT it will help keep it from getting as big as a basketball. ;)
TAG you ARE IT ;D
Rk4
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 12:45:32 AM by Rknees4 »
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2011, 10:18:33 PM »
Heey big partner in not to much pain!! I HOPE..lol. Im back with more of my info. I have been doing my at home pt!! :P :D Im still waitin for my knee to get as swollen as a basketball it hasnt happened yet i wanna play basketball with my knee!!!!  >:( ;DIt did get a little swollen. after i did the at home pt.
I di ask my pt about the snap crackle POP in my knee she said there are some things tht could be happening in there tht is causing it to crack tht is ok but just to check with the doc just in case but my doc has been gone for a while hell be back on monday i hope.... But the pt said it could just be either two bones rubbing against each other or a ligement rubbing ovr the bone or sumtin not to bad but just to check wit the doc just in caase.
Soo I hope both of are pts go good again and are pplz arent too meen!!!!! ;D TALK TO YOU SOON!!!

TAG YOU ARE IT!!!!!!! AND I SAAAAIIIID NOOOOOO TAG BACKS!!LOL.
 ;D ;D :D :D ;) ;) :) :) 8) :o :o

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2011, 11:05:21 PM »
Hey Buddy
How are you? Glad to hear you did the Pt at home like you are supposed to do and that the knee didn't get as big as a basket ball that is really big you know. :o
Remember to ice and elevate yet.  You will need to do this for quite a while yet. ;D I CAN hear you moaninggggg!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) I have PT on Tuesday next week.  It is going to be hard for me to bend past 125 that is pretty far. You have a nice weekend Miranda and work hard on your Pt i will be checking in to make sure you are. ::)
Well have to go take something my knee hurts. :-\
Take care,
Tag your moms it. ;)
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2011, 12:07:22 AM »
Hi Rk4,
Thanks for all the uplifting advice for my daughter. You have been quite an inspiration to her. She lets me know she has to do her home pt like rk4 told her to. Sorry i've been pretty busy making sure Miranda is getting her school work done and I started back to school again on Monday. Taking geography and anthropology. The knee crunch we are hearing is just a loud pop. She says it feels good, kinda like pressure building up then releasing. After it pops she's able to bend a little more too. PT said it could be an air pocket, or the ligament twisting, she said it could be normal but for us to tell the doctor as soon as possible so I went by the doctors office and he is out until Monday. The PT didn't release her to go back to school yet either, she said at least one more week, that makes me feel more comfortable too. I'd rather just keep her home until she's healed personally. She's a very good student, carries mostly A's in all honors classes. She only has 3 major core classes otherwise she has office TA, teacher TA, and ASB. Because she is so limited PT was actually pretty easy. She has to try and bend to 60 degrees within the next 3 weeks and she is suppose to get up to 50% weight bearing. She is getting around really well now though.
How is your recovery coming along. You have quite the range of motion. I just want to thank you so much for being a support for my daughter when I know you have your own children to cheer on. I also have a 15 year old daughter, I know they require a lot of your time.
Miranda has PT on Tuesday too so we will be thinking of you while you are both moaning!!!!!!

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2011, 03:24:19 AM »
Hi Mom.
No problems.  It is hard when they are so young.  Especially as there are not alot of young people her age around her having such heavy duty surgery. It is so hard at that age being different. I see she is a little dynamite isn't she?  She is a pretty special young lady and I am sure you are very proud of the way she is handling everything. :) When they do this surgery it shifts everything within the knee causing the noises.  All us oldies on here have it  so to some degree it is normal. I think as long as it isn't painfull and doesn't cause pain and more swelling after you have nothing to worry about. Hey we all need support and that little girl of yours is doing some special  supporting for me too, she is helping me face this second round in a more positive light. I willl continue to encourage her if that is alright with you.  I see no one else has joined as this is an adult sight with a very small sprinkle of young teens, But please keep an eye on her as these sites can attrack some unwanted.
As for my recovery it will be long and painfull but been there done that once before.  My bend is way better this time than the first time through. It took me 4 weeks to get where I am now.
How is Miranda's pain levels.  I hope they have come down.  Just be aware she will have some pain on and off months from now just remember to treat is so she doesn't have the pain to remember just the positive of over coming a big mountain for such a young girl. Icing after her home PT remains important to keep the joint from swelling to much. She will get there it is just patience game and as mom you have to have enough for you and her.
Yes they do require lots of time but the few minutes here are good for both of us.  I have a 23 year old, a 20 year old an 18 year old and my baby is 15. All girls.
I have also come to learn kids will often listen to others before MOM so If it is ok I will continue to encourage her in hopes your job is a little easier until she is off and running again. ;) Thanks for your concern about the knee. That partner in pain will be flying around before I will that is for sure. Take Care and know that that little dynamite is a pretty special young lady and,
TAG SHE IS IT AGAIN ;D ;D ;D 8)
Rk4 
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

support