Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: "KNEE"d explanation please!  (Read 903 times)

Offline chilll14me

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
"KNEE"d explanation please!
« on: July 02, 2011, 10:39:29 PM »
My Girlfriend is a PCT at a local hospital she pulled my MRI results for me but my research isn't explaining it clearly to me. ???

Findings: Small surface tear with cartilaginous injury on lateral meniscus and linear area of bone edema, involves lateral femoral condyle extending to the sub-cortical region of lateral femoral condyle on left. 

Impressions: Bone marrow edema involving the posterior aspect of lateral tibial plateau, small under surface tear involving free edge of posterior horn of lateral meniscus with associated cartilaginous injury seen best on image 20-21.

If someone could enlighten me on the severity it would be greatly appreciated. thank you.   

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 454
  • Neelie knee!
Re: "KNEE"d explanation please!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 11:05:09 PM »
I am no expert but it sounds like you may have a small tear in the lateral meniscus and possibly some bone brusing in the outside bit (lateral) of the bottom of your thigh bone (femoral condyle).  Did you have a fall, accident or an injury.  The bone bruising will resolve but can often take 3-6 months and indeed up to 12.  I had extensive bone bruising in the same area, nasty.

The meniscus tear may heal, all depends where it is and how big.  Do you have swelling, can you straighten your leg properly, does it feel ever like it may buckle?  Or it may possibly need keyhole surgery, but might be best to give it time to sort itself out?  When do you see your doctor again to discuss the results and next steps?

You can read about the meniscus here which may help :)

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/2259

Good luck
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline chilll14me

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: "KNEE"d explanation please!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 11:49:41 PM »
I honestly don't remember injuring it specifically, it was extremely swollen for weeks. A local Orthopedic injected a cortisone shot and it helped the swelling but the pain never subsided. This was a month ago or so. Since then mild swelling has occurred and have quite a bit of pain on the interior side of my knee. I believe i hurt it was worse riding a dirtbike yesterday, (before i heard the results!)       As far as motion I have full range, but get a very painful popping at times but not all the time.

support