Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Am I being too optimistic??  (Read 1289 times)

Offline keepupwith

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Am I being too optimistic??
« on: February 08, 2011, 11:40:58 AM »
Hi

Last had arthroscopy and lateral release on my knee 17 years ago so can't really remember how it was after. However I'm going in next week to have it redone, well certainly cleaned out and the lateral release redone if necessary (plus ? something else but not sure what that was!!). The surgeon said 1-2 weeks off work, but my job involves standing all day, plus crouching, bending  and even kneeling (I work as a Radiographer!!). I've erred on the side of caution and said I will be off for two weeks, but I'm wondering having looked at the other posts if this is underestimating it??
What does anyone think who's had it done more recently?? I don't like taking time off unnecessarily, but knowing how physical my job is, neither do I want to end up with worse problems by rushing it.
Thanks
Pam  :)

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • PCL recovery blog
Re: Am I being too optimistic??
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 01:50:40 PM »
I can't comment on the lateral release, but you need to keep in mind that most of the people that have surgery are not on this site, they have their surgery, do well, and move on. Most people here have some sort of complications. I had a PCL recon, and I was on pediatric residency interviews 3 weeks after my surgery on my crutches. I had 4 weeks off after my surgery, but I may have gone back sooner, I just had the surgery done on my 4 week vacation. Granted, I was on crutches, but my rehab has been pretty much on par with what my doctor told me to expect.
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 09:34:41 PM »
It does kind of depend on what the "other" is that they may do but with a LR and general clean up (depending on how much damage they find) you're likely to be pretty sore for a while, and working in a job on your feet and knees all day after 2 weeks might not be the best thing for long term healing. I nearly had a LR last year and my OS and his Physio said 3 weeks away from work (I work for myself and need to be mobile, sit, stand, etc) at least and regular physio to get ROM back asap and stop the quads shutting down. I think its fair to say many people probably do bounce back and get on and back to work in 2 weeks, people here tend to have issues and it takes longer. I'd say 2 weeks as a minimum but possibly a wee while longer to let your knee settle down.

Good luck!

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 11:00:32 PM »
It definitely depends on what else is done. I would think that the 1-2 weeks estimate would be appropriate for a job that is not physically demanding which doesn't sound like your job at all. If you have a lateral release, swelling is usually a huge issue. It would probably be a good idea to set 2 weeks as the "best case" scenario and have a contingency plan in place if you need longer. It's really hard to tell what you will be able to handle until you're there in the middle of it.
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline Countess

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 11:53:50 PM »
I had a LR done as well among other things and I agree with everyone else. If you have a desk job 2 weeks would be a best case scenario. Seeing as you don't have a desk job it depends on what else your OS has to do once he gets in there. I came back to work after 3 weeks off and still thought it was too soon but didn't have any time left I could take. I would prepare to be off longer than that if needed or in the event issues arise. I unfortunately am one of those problem cases and lurk around these boards every day for knowledge and answers. My surgery was Nov 4, 2010 and swelling is STILL an every day battle. Listen to your knee. It will let you know when it is appropriate to return to work. Good luck and I hope you heal quickly!
Nov 4, 2010 - patellar realignment, lateral release, open debridement, cartilage implant, medial reefing and chondroplasty - left knee.

April 18, 2011 - MUA

Link to Diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=55169.0

Offline 2shotknees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 01:02:43 AM »
I had 2 lateral releases last year.  The right knee was done last June, the left knee was just in December.  I asked the doctor how long I would be out of work, he asked what I did and I told him that I stock shelves in a grocery store.  He said 6 weeks.  He said that if I had a desk job I could have been back to work in a couple of weeks.  The right knee I was out just over 6 weeks and went back to work starting at 4 hours a day and building up to a 40 hour work week over the next 6 weeks.  I also was not allowed to climb the step ladder and I could not kneel or squat.    The knee did fine, no real issues.  I iced it when I got home from work and it was pretty happy.  The left knee I had the surgery on December 30th(got the doctor to let me go back a bit earlie r) and my first day back was yesterday.  This time the doctor let me go back to working 40 hour weeks right away.  He is also letting me use the step ladder but I am not allowed to kneel or squat.  Since I am working 8 hour days with a lunch break, I am taking an ice pack with me and icing during my lunch break.  I will say that I was happy to leave work yesterday. The knee was achy when I left work and was sore.  I did ice when I got home.  Today, I again worked 8 hours and I iced at lunch but it wasn't as achy today at all.  I hope that tomorrow will be better.  Both knees had lateral releases done, a partial meniscectomy on the right, a mensicus trim on the left, good size bone spurs removed in each knee and a general cleaning out of the knee each time.  I would maybe see what the possbility of working part days the first few days back and see how the knee does before going back to full days.  I have tried to kneel on the left knee a couple of times at home since the surgery and the knee is still tender and I know it is not ready to be kneeling on a hard cold floor.   I was also on crutches and in a immobilizer.  The right knee I used both for about 3 weeks, but after the first week to week and a half, I really didin'tuse them in the house.  The left knee it was closer to 4 weeks of use.  My doctor said crutch use is typically 2 to 6 weeks for a lateral release, more or less.  Good luck, hope everything goes well!
6/24/10 Right knee lateral release, partial meniscectomy, bone spur removed
12/30/10 Left knee lateral release, meniscus trim, bone spurs removed
Future TKR's

Offline keepupwith

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 09:29:01 AM »
Thanks so much everyone. Having been told 1 to 2 weeks by the surgeon and telling my boss 2 weeks minimum ( when you are back you are back, no half measures in reality) I was thinking perhaps I was erring on the side of caution unnecessarily. I will have to wait and see what actually gets done and play it by ear, but thankyou, at least I won't feel so bad now if after a fortnight it still doesn't feel good enough for work.
Pam

support