Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee spur...  (Read 658 times)

Offline mittuck

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee spur...
« on: February 07, 2011, 10:09:17 PM »
Good evening

I know there is a dedicated 'knee spur' forum but it hasn't been active for a while so I though I would post on the general forum... Hope that is ok.

I'm a 27year old male and I have twice fully dislocated my right knee, the first time when I was 15 and also in May 2009. I recently (Jan 19th 2011) had a spur removed from my femur just above my knee on the outside.

I wasn't really told much about the surgery except that the removed bone was a cyst and was being tested. I now have a 4inch scar which is healing nicely.

My questions really relate to recovery. The consultant said I could begin full activity around four weeks after operation... Is this correct (in peoples opinion)? What damage is caused by the operation? Do they cut through muscle to reach the spur? I'm really keen to get back to running and playing football and understand it isn't a massive operation I just don't want to do myself anymore damage.

Secondly, my knee has 'give way' occasionally. I told my consultant this and he didn't seem to believe me, stating that the operation didn't go near the knee joint. Is there any theories why this may happen?

Finally, there seems to be talk of spurs alongside arthiritis. Can anyone clear this up for me? I'm very conscious of my knee problems, i.e. its more likely to dislocate again, but I have never had arthiritis mentioned to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance.

Michael