Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Problems after Patellectomy  (Read 1085 times)

Offline LCeb

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Problems after Patellectomy
« on: February 08, 2011, 02:09:51 PM »
I am 54 years old. In 2000 I had a patellectomy on my right knee after having 11 dislocations.I have trochlear dysplasia also.On Sat my right knee gave out,fell down stairs and was taken to ER by ambulance with the WORSE pain ever on the left side of the knee.I don't see an ortho until Feb 16th.Has anyone experienced this?Any thoughts??? Could this be a dislocation of the extensor mechanism? I have a lot of swelling on the left side and black/blue on left and underneath. Looking for any help and thoughts...thank you!

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Problems after Patellectomy
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 09:38:15 PM »
I'm assuming ER gave you X-rays to rule out a fracture? My Aunt had a patellectomy some 20 years ago - fell on ice before Xmas and leg twisted. She also has TKR on the remaining compartments and she sustained a jagged fracture of the femur which needed plating and pinning. If bony issues have been ruled out you may have done something to a ligament between the femur and tibia - although i'm not sure what is left and what is removed when the patella is taken away. You may of course just have VERY bruising of everything. Sorry can't be more help..

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: Problems after Patellectomy
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 02:17:47 PM »
Sounds like dislocation of the extensor mechanism is a very real possibility. Curious to see what your ortho says. I wonder how they can tell if that is what happened?

Sorry to hear about your fall and I hope you are starting to feel a bit better. Ice and elevate!
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor