Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Growing more & more concerned...  (Read 10329 times)

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Never do what you would un-do if caught
Re: Growing more & more concerned...
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2003, 05:47:43 AM »
Oh- did I say NSYNC?  er.....What I meant to say was..uh..er...NYC....yeah...that's it- New York City...That's it.

Had finger farts...hehehe

I needed that laugh- and I probably need a swift crack over the skull with the crutches as well!

Much happiness!

By the way- I can NOT StOP laughing right now..thqt one crutch thing really got me......still....laughing...&crying...&nbout to wizz all over!!  Ohhhh that was rich girl.  Thanx!! ;D
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Anyone seen the light at the end of the tunnel?
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2003, 11:32:17 AM »
Finger [email protected]?  New York?! What on earth are you on?  You've been taking your meds again, haven't you?!    Uh huh! ::)
Okay whatever you say.  Time to sit down, I think you got up too fast and the blood has drained away from all areas of sensibility.

Yeah, and if you keep up the attitude, I'll make it 2 crutches...
Oh and please don't slip on the wet floor.....  I thought you said that you could go to the toilet by yourself?!
I don't know, girl (head shake and grin).

Glad you can laugh still.   ;D
Now go back and sit down, leg up.  You have some serious lounging around to do.   ;)  
rk posterior meniscus tear. Successfully repaired 10 Sep,03. Now have nerve damage and cps which goes with it.  I want to slap the person who said 'It just takes time....'

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2003, 12:53:34 AM »
Ok, I have gotten some rest and am feeling much better.  Things have settled with the knee, so now I just have to keep them settled.

No more outbursts for me.  Just gonna take it nice and smooth.

This is what I get for staying up past my bed time. :P

I really am sorry that I missed you last night.  I hope this was a good day for you, and also hope that the rain has stopped.

Hugs :)
Lezlee
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2003, 01:14:17 AM »
Lezlee,

I'm glad to hear you are doing better today. I am too, I think.  I still can't do the SLR or mini quats but the nagging constant pain has seemed to subsided. I am just going to skip the exercises again today and try them again tomorrow. My ROM is better today though I am not pushing it. I hope that these were just little bumps in the road for us. Thanks for posting back and if it had been more bad news, we would have all been here for you.  What kind of ROM exercises are you doing? Also strengthening? It's sometimes good to get input on these so if your PT or OS has something new or an easier way of doing one.

Thanks and I'm so happy you feel better  ;)

Hugs,
Heather
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2003, 01:56:37 AM »
I'm  glad your knee is feeling better today.  It's probably a good idea to give a break.

As far as those darn excersises, at this point I am only doing some bending with out weight bearing and am also doing the sit/lay down and lift the leg while keeping it straight.  I have no quads, so the straight leg lift is nearly impossible unless I have the imobilizer on.  For some reason, that makes it easier.  I also sit and lift my leg with it bent. (what little bend I'm able to get)  I also do massage to help reduce the risk of scar tissue and to help keep the blood flowing.

Any suggestions on how to make those quad lifts easier without causing any damage would be greatly appreciated at this point.  My poor calf muscle has also taken a hike.  My right leg looks scrawny and ugly these days.  I used to have nice, thick muscular legs because I used to do a ton of bike riding and some lifting on the nautilus equipment.  Oh well, I'll get it back some time.

Please take care of that knee and let us know how it goes!

Lezlee

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2003, 02:11:43 AM »
Lezlee,

As far as ROM I am laying in the floor in front of a wall and with a sock on putting the bad leg on the wall. I let the knee bend until I feel a stretch and hold it for about a minute. I use the good foot to push it back up, then I do it over and over again.  This is a new method and I have had really great results with it so far. It doesn't overstress anything and it feels good.  Ask your PT if this will work for you. It called either wall slides or heel slides (using the wall).  

Also sitting on a chair and letting the leg hang down. Using the good leg over your shin, try to push it back underneath you more. This also gives a great stretch but hurts a little more than the wall heel slides.  

I have found sitting up doing leg raises lets you use more of the hamstring and is easier to compensate for the quad. If you do them laying down it concentrates on the quad and makes it 100% harder. I learned that last surgery when I did them at home while sitting then went to PT and couldn't do a single one when they made me lie down and try.  Whoops!

If you find it easier to do these with the immobilizer on then I would recommend using it. There really isn't a way to make them easier that I know of.  Have you tried turning foot medially or laterally while doing them? Sometimes it can make it easier because you are using other muscles too. Always do them without your shoes too! Who knew a simple tennis shoe weighed 3000 pounds?  ;D

I also have a non-exsistent quad. I have for 2 years now. The simplest of exercises hurt and make the whole sore for days. There will be pain that you have to work through my PT says, however, anything that is sharp or stings is a signal to stop.

Keep working at it. They will get easier. You may just have to do quad sets for a while like I did. That's just sitting with your leg out and tightening up the muscle, holding it for about 10-15 seconds then releasing it. It just is basically teaching the muscle how to contract again and it does build some muscle, enough to get you doing straight leg raises.

Check with your PT and see if any of these suggestions will benefit you. Let me know.

Hugs,
Heather

R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2003, 02:22:25 AM »
Heather-

Tank you so muc for the info.  I've not been release for PT yet as I'm only 2 weeks post op from the 2nd repair surgery.

I can not do any kind of twisting with the leg/knee/foot because of the repair.  This will be the case for at least 6 weeks as per my OS.  Beleive me, I do only what I'm told to do as I do not want to cause damage and have to go for round 3 of surgery.

Our December trip to Disney is fast approaching so I'm working on a tight deadline here.  If worse comes to worse, then we'll rent one of those scooters.  I won't be riding any rides if.  this knee isn't right though...bummer.

Yes, the leg lift laying down is the most difficult, but maybe since it's so hard it will build that quad up faster?  It does seem odd that they are easier with the imobilizer is on doesn't it?  I guess it's because I absolutley can not keep my leg straight while lifting it without old Big Blue on.

Thank you again- this will help a lot I think!

Lezlee

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2003, 02:28:54 AM »
I think it's easier to do with the immobilizer on because it supports the knee and helps you to keep the knee straight. I can do them with my brace a bit easier too. Good to hear you are limiting yourself to doctor's orders only.  I've been known to overdo it in the past and that's partially what got me so many surgeries in the first place.

Don't worry too much about the upcoming trip. Once you get going and are able to do certain exercises it will all come back fast. You still have a while before PT starts so be careful with anymore possible setbacks.
I really hope you can enjoy that trip, but even if you do need the scooter, at least you know your knee is fixed and you have found a great OS in the process.

Keep at it, you'll get there.

Heather

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2003, 04:46:46 AM »
Greetings all,
Now that the sun is up this side of the world.
Ihave just about given up on those darn leg lifts.  I still struggle with them even now.  YOu'd think they'd be easy with all the other things I can do.  And Lezlee, I started with the good old quad muscle contractions with no lifting to get me going.  It took 4 solid days of 5 sec hold, 5 sec release, every hour to be able to support my leg standing with Big Red on.  Before that I couldn't stand at all.  The weight of my leg was just too much.  That was 1 1/2 post op.  so babe, the fact that you can get up and walk around on crutches at all is great.  

I have been doing wall squats, lunges and leg lifts for the quads.  Stretching in various positions to try to get my knee to bend, both on its own and with my other leg.  I'm six 1/2 wks post op and can only just see a small bump/rise where my outside quad is.  So what I am trying to say is that it takes time and lots of patience.

The rain has stopped but we have been having storms at night.  Today it is really windy and hot.  I am so glad we had ceiling fans installed  in the bedrooms.  Makes it bearable.
So darl, make sure that you keep that knee up and rested.  Keep on doing the exercises gently.  there's no rush even though you have the  trip.  I would think you should hire the scooter anyway because there will be a lot of walking involved and you won't be able to do it for as long as you would like.  Then there's the post over doing it day....urgh.  It's just too much.  anyway if you hire the scooter, you should get priority I would think.  Ha ha.  It just might be worth jumping on the sympathy band wagon.  It is your health and future we are talking about too.

Hugs and good knees to us all.  ;)
rk posterior meniscus tear. Successfully repaired 10 Sep,03. Now have nerve damage and cps which goes with it.  I want to slap the person who said 'It just takes time....'

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2003, 05:06:40 PM »
Good morning subshine!  

You know, I do have a question about the quad "sqeeze" thingies.  My sis did tell me to tense my quad, hold it and release it like for 5 reps.  Well, just like after the first surgery, I am alomost not even able to tense it up.  For some reason it feels almost like it isn't attached to the knee any more.  Before surgery, when I would tighten my quad, I could feel & see movement in the patella, now, like I said- almost as if there is no connection.

I think it's just because of the lack of quad strength that I have right now, so I just keep trying.

Yes Sienna- I agree about the scooter thing.  It would probably be a good idea to have one whether I'm walking or not.  Even if only for part of the day.  I don't want to over-do.  I have to remember that even when I can walk again, it won't immediately be like before the surgeries when I could walk all day.

Gotta run guys- You all have a great day!

Lezlee

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2003, 04:23:33 AM »
The other good thing about the scooter is that you can carry all the bags on it as well.  Much more convenient.

I can't remember how I went with the first time I started to sqeeze the quads.  Remember that you have muscle  deterioration going into this op from the last op so it will probably be hard at first.  but if you can stand then you must have some quads left otherwise it would be too painful to hold the leg.  that's what hapened to me anyway.  Just keep trying and you'll get there.  
The outside quad is the easiest to get so aim for that to get you started.  then when you get moving the middle one will pop in to say hello.  It's the inner one that will cause the most difficulty to find.  Then provided you don't trip over your crutches like I almost have done (I am finding that I am tripping on the one crutch more than when I had two) it will be plain sailing.  Of course you'll have to speak long and hard to that knee to get it into a cooperative mood. ::)

It just takes patience.  Gee I think I have heard that wrd somewhere before.  Now who told me that?!

Sweetie, keep trying you will get there.  I know it's hard work but just think about that disney trip and how you want to go rides etc.  YOU'll make it, I know.

Hugs and puppy dog kisses for you.
8)

Offline rag

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2003, 09:47:58 AM »
hello...
I had a pattela tendon knee surgery (suture)...now I am 8 months post op and my knee still swallen...and my muscles still kinda weak...on the other hand I got my flexibility totally back...is this normal....and what shoud I do...

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2003, 02:24:20 PM »
Rag,

Depending on the operation that you had it could very well be normal. It takes a long time to rebuild the quads after any major surgery and tendons take a long time to heal. Are you in PT? When does it swell? Are you taking any anti inflammatories for that? What was the name of your operation?

Heather

support